Smartphones

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
First time I've ordered a phone online, and done so in winter. Was that a dumb at move re: package freezing during it's multiple day journey to me?

Also, screw sprint also. Had bad reception all over colorado. And it's been a while but you reminded me of the dumb popups of sorts in the notification bar.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Freezing temps won't really hurt a phone that is powered off, while in transit. There aren't any moving parts(like mechanical hard drives in PCs). I'd just make sure when you receive it to maybe let it warm up for a few hours before turning it on, if it's been sitting out on your porch in a box all day in the freezing cold, you wouldn't want any condensation issues with a quick frozen -> warm change

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Freezing temps won't really hurt a phone that is powered off, while in transit. There aren't any moving parts(like mechanical hard drives in PCs). I'd just make sure when you receive it to maybe let it warm up for a few hours before turning it on, if it's been sitting out on your porch in a box all day in the freezing cold, you wouldn't want any condensation issues with a quick frozen -> warm change
Thanks, I'll be patient when I get it. Thought I remembered something about the batteries and cold but imagine that's more when trying to charge/discharge them.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Cold won't have any effect on batteries. I'd be more worried if you ordered a Moto X with a wooden back when letting it thaw out.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So after using our new phones for about a week now, I can undoubtedly say that the battery life on our new phones suck.

My Note 5 isn't lasting as long as my Note 3 did, and my wife's S6 isn't lasting as long as her S5 did. We're running the exact same apps as we always have, same usage patterns, everything, I don't know what the issue is other than it just possibly being higher resolution screen sucking the battery faster.

On a typical work day my wife and I used to make it to bed time with 40-50% of our batteries left(and re-charge overnight), now we're getting down in the 20% range every day.

Hrmmmmmm

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
We've had a whole bunch of employees that have Galaxies and which have taken a total nosedive in terms of battery life after some recent update.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My MotoX doesn't make it to bed time, I have to charge it on the way home from work when it hits around 30%. Just the way life is now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm on Sprint, and the only other thing I can think of is that our old phones used to always just say "4G" as the connection, whereas these new phones specifically say "LTE" instead of "4G". I wonder if that's just a UI difference, or it's actually a different connection/network that I'm on with Sprint, and maybe that newer LTE network connection eats battery life at a faster rate?

Who knows.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
After a couple months, I sold my Moto X Pure to my girlfriend got a Nexus 6P w/ Google Fi. So far, so good. Both phones are great, but I wanted to switch to Fi and couldn't do so with the Moto.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm on Sprint, and the only other thing I can think of is that our old phones used to always just say "4G" as the connection, whereas these new phones specifically say "LTE" instead of "4G". I wonder if that's just a UI difference, or it's actually a different connection/network that I'm on with Sprint, and maybe that newer LTE network connection eats battery life at a faster rate?

Who knows.
With Sprint, if you don't have a strong lte signal, your phone will chew up massive battery trying to go back and forth between the stronger one.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
With sprint if you don't have an lte signal you might as well just turn data off, since it is useless

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So after using our new phones for about a week now, I can undoubtedly say that the battery life on our new phones suck.

My Note 5 isn't lasting as long as my Note 3 did, and my wife's S6 isn't lasting as long as her S5 did. We're running the exact same apps as we always have, same usage patterns, everything, I don't know what the issue is other than it just possibly being higher resolution screen sucking the battery faster.

On a typical work day my wife and I used to make it to bed time with 40-50% of our batteries left(and re-charge overnight), now we're getting down in the 20% range every day.

Hrmmmmmm
I had the exact opposite experience going from my S5 to my S6 Edge. Battery life is FAR better plus you get the added bonus of the quick charge.

Fadaar

That guy
So my Note 4 since this past Monday -- battery gets to around 35% according to phone, phone shuts off and continually reboots over and over thinking (and now showing) the battery is at 0%. Had the phone for pretty much right at a year, just hoping it's only a bad battery.

Thoughts?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just installed so will see. Basically only allowed text messages and gmail and maybe one other thing while screen was off.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Using 4G in the newer Samsung phones kills the battery pretty fast. One way to conserve it is to completely forego 4G, set connectivity to just GSM/WDCMA and use 3G+ instead. Sucks, but the battery benefits are worth it imo.