Smartphones

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Have you looked at Ting wireless? You don't get subsidies on phones, but the plans are very low on bullshit and very inexpensive. They are a Sprint reseller so if Sprint has good coverage in your area you are GTG. Their thing is that there is no contract and you only pay for what you use. If you use less than you signed up for they refund the money and if you use more there is no overage fee and they charge you for the additional minutes/GB/texts at the same rate that you were getting.

https://ting.com/plans
Interesting, I'll have to look at this further. I was leaning toward the nexus4 but with no microsd bay or lge 4g capability I don't know if I want it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Interesting, I'll have to look at this further. I was leaning toward the nexus4 but with no microsd bay or lge 4g capability I don't know if I want it.
There a new Nexus 4 and 5 rumored to be coming out in the next month or two that will address the LTE side of things. Doubtful either will have a SD slot though.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Google has already said they arent putting microsd slots into their devices.
Which is fine if they actually gave enough storage. As they stand now I'll pass on them every time and I'm an Android / Google fanboi.

Its a stupid decision on their part to not include enough storage in hopes it forces you to stream from their services. Especially with data caps being the norm on mobile.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think this was the worst hitler adaptation I've ever seen.
I think the problem with this thing is that it's too long. Most people don't have 4 minutes worth of even bad jokes. That said, this was terrible, but saying worst ever is a really high bar.

Cor_sl

shitlord
The guys from Paranoid Android just posted this on their Google Plus page (https://plus.google.com/107979589566...ts/dKU35HmkSnv).

Untitled-1.jpg

Quoting Reddit --

Based on the comments made by Paranoid Android it is the idea of Facebooks chatheads but for all notifications. If you get a notification from Dropbox it will have the Dropbox icon. It can be hidden the same way as chatheads, where you just toss it onto the X. It can be reopened at any time from the notification shade.
Pretty damn badass.

Untitled-1.jpg

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The reason why I love my S3 the most is because of the miscroSD slot. I have 64GB of storage on it at pretty minimal cost. It's sad to see the Android phone makers following in Apple's ripoff the public methods.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
How much storage do you guys need? My whole MP3 collection, admittedly not that large, is on my gnex and I've never needed a microSD card. From a design standpoint, a microSD slot might take up a lot of space. I work for a MEMs company and Samsung is hounding us to reduce the size of some of our parts from 3x3mm to 2x2mm. It also puts some requirements on the aesthetic design. I'm not sure the HTC One would look as nice if it had a big microSD slot hanging off the side.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The SD card slot is really unnecessary at this point. What's unacceptable is not having it and having anything less than 32gb standard. This 8 and 16 shit needs to stop.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
How much storage do you guys need? My whole MP3 collection, admittedly not that large, is on my gnex and I've never needed a microSD card. From a design standpoint, a microSD slot might take up a lot of space. I work for a MEMs company and Samsung is hounding us to reduce the size of some of our parts from 3x3mm to 2x2mm. It also puts some requirements on the aesthetic design. I'm not sure the HTC One would look as nice if it had a big microSD slot hanging off the side.
I don't think I need 64gb but I would notice if I didn't have it. I was on the 3gs before getting the Note 2 and I learned how to live with limited space. Podcasts, a couple of my favorite audio books, some music files, and personal files and I was good to go. That said I have a 300gb favorite audio book collection (always getting better quality books to replace worse quality when I can) and there are times when I wish I had a few dozen more books to listen to. With 64gb I pretty much only have to sync once a week instead of one a day.

Not necessary just convenient.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
How much storage do you guys need?
32 to 64gb? I mean they keep packing MP into their cameras sucking down more and more space for video and photos but storage has been mostly static for years now. Add in that the OS takes a decent chunk and 16gb without expansion is anemic. Stupid really considering how cheap and small SD cards are.

Storage isn't about having just enough. Its about having way more than you need.

No one wants to whip out their phone to catch a video with their new 13mp camera recording at 1080p 30fps only to have it stop after 30 seconds due to running out of space. Some idiot at Google decided it was a good idea to offer anemic storage without expansion capability and its simply stupid.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sorry but the only reason companies do not include sd slots is so they can fuck you in the ass with their higher priced higher capacity models. Considering memory is extremely cheap the margins on a 32gb phone are probably twice that if not more compared to a 16gb phone. It also is another way to fuck you in the ass causing you to download/stream more and thus another way to get even more money via data overage charges.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Storage space wise, I'd personally like at least 64gb on my phone so I can completely ditch using a 64gb third generation Touch for music, which is about 98% full (and the battery is pretty much shot). That's not even considering apps, OS and so on. Really there's no reason that 32 or 64 shouldn't be the minimum on phones now other than manufacturers knowing people don't know any better in regards to the fact that 64gb of flash memory today is probably 1/10th the cost of what it was even 4 years ago when the first 64gb Touches were released.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I like the SD slots just so I do have the option of buying the smallest storage version of a phone and then slapping in another 32 or 64GB myself. No point in paying an extra $100 or more for a phone that has 32 or 64GB built in if you have the option of adding that with an expansion card for a fraction of the price. Hell, I'd be fine with 8GB built in as long as theres an SD slot. Keep the phone inexpensive, imho.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I've dealt with multiple customers with dead phones, desperate for us to grab data off them. Just had a Woman in last week with an iPhone 5 with a broken screen. She can get it replaced from Apple for 200$ but she desperately wants the pictures of her child she had three months ago. She's SOL unless she pays the 380 for a new Digitizer/LCD just so we can put in her pass code, to pull the data to a computer.

Phone dies with a microsd in it? Remove it, gratz you saved your data.

It's very similar to the problem with ultrabooks/Mac airs with soldered in SSD drives. If it breaks, you're fucked.

Edit: And I know I'm late to the party Tuco. But the use of "ROM" is reference to the contents of Read Only Memory that people would pull out of old game cartidges and turn into a "ROM file" to load into a video game emulator. Why it stuck with phone software, I don't know.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I've dealt with multiple customers with dead phones, desperate for us to grab data off them. Just had a Woman in last week with an iPhone 5 with a broken screen. She can get it replaced from Apple for 200$ but she desperately wants the pictures of her child she had three months ago. She's SOL unless she pays the 380 for a new Digitizer/LCD just so we can put in her pass code, to pull the data to a computer.

Phone dies with a microsd in it? Remove it, gratz you saved your data.

It's very similar to the problem with ultrabooks/Mac airs with soldered in SSD drives. If it breaks, you're fucked.

Edit: And I know I'm late to the party Tuco. But the use of "ROM" is reference to the contents of Read Only Memory that people would pull out of old game cartidges and turn into a "ROM file" to load into a video game emulator. Why it stuck with phone software, I don't know.
If the dumb bitch had been using iCloud, all her pictures would be safely in the cloud. No SD card needed.