Smartphones

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
There is no way your phone service could be what I would consider good at 29 dollars a month, who are you using, cricket?

My wife and I use Cricket, it's awesome. I have never run into any speed issues. $70 a month combined is great.

If you didn't know, it's just throttled AT&T. But like I said, YouTube, games like Vainglory, Netflix etc. Never a problem.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If I was to get a new phone in the midrange of things what would be good to look at? I have MetroPCS. All I really do is listen to spotify and twitch while driving. Use browser, and a few other apps. I'd like to be able to play Hearthstone if I wanted to (my current phone is trash and cannot).

Any thoughts?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
If I was to get a new phone in the midrange of things what would be good to look at? I have MetroPCS. All I really do is listen to spotify and twitch while driving. Use browser, and a few other apps. I'd like to be able to play Hearthstone if I wanted to (my current phone is trash and cannot).

Any thoughts?

Looks like Metro PCS uses TMO's network, so any unlocked TMO compatible phone should work. What price range are you looking at? On the lower end, the Moto G5 looks pretty good and it's $200-$240 depending on config. If you're willing to spend more, the OnePlus 3T is very nice, but it is $440.

I'm not sure how well the Moto G would handle Hearthstone, but the OnePlus 3T will handle just about anything you throw at it.

Other phones to consider would be the Alcatel Idol 4S and Asus Zenfone 3

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ideally I wouldn't go over the 2-300 range. If I can't get something that could reasonable run Hearthstone in that range I might just not at all. It's not something I really need, but if I could get a better phone that would let me do something in my downtime I might think about it. I just have a hard time justifying more on a phone when I don't use it for much

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
One plus 3T is a sweet handset and most sites rate it the best bang/$, but you better hurry or the One Plus 5 will take the prize.
I own a Moto G5 Plus phone but I don't play games. I'd say as long as your internet is strong, the phone will keep up.
Moto G5 - Not available US Market
Moto G5 Plus 2GB/32GB $229
Moto G5 Plus 4GB/64GB $299
Both in Luner Grey or Fine Gold

If I was a smart guy, I would have waited for the One Plus 5 but could never justify the $.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Looks like my 6p is toast. Wouldn't turn on over the last day. Finally turned on today and it's at 70%... it's been plugged into 4 different chargers over the last 24 hours and the battery isn't charged lol.

Talking to huawei, their only option is to send my phone to them and be without it for a month. Certainly this isn't what you guys who had to swap yours went through is it? Fuck that.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I was lucky and had a month left on my warranty so google just sent me a refurb one that seems to be perfect. Google needs to take a lot more heat for this bullshit honestly.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Maybe I'll give them a call and raise a stink. I'm within warranty, but I bought it from Amazon not Google (because they actually had them in stock) so not expecting much.

I've got another 3 weeks of warranty, will at least get it fixed to sell or something. I just didn't want to buy a new phone right now, feels like we're between big releases, probably end up with an S8+

Edit: yeah, nothing Fi Support can do. They suggested maybe calling Amazon, but on the product page Amazon deflects warranty stuff over to Huawei. Probably make the jump to Tmobile or something and then get this repaired.

Last edited:

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Before you purchase a S8+ look at the One Plus 5, it is half the price and beats the S8 on the speed test bench. If I hadn't just bought a phone, I'd be purchasing one soon.
Heartbroken...

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Just got an email from Project Fi:

We’ve got you covered in more ways than one. Next time you’re at one of the airports below, you may see one of our Travel Trolleys. Each trolley is stocked with free travel gifts such as playing cards, USB cables, eye masks, and more.
  • Burbank Bob Hope (BUR)
  • Chicago Midway (MDW)
  • Chicago O’Hare (ORD)
  • Mineta San Jose (SJC)
  • Minneapolis St. Paul (MSP)
  • Philadelphia (PHL)
  • Seattle-Tacoma (SEA)
  • Sacramento (SMF)
  • St. Louis Lambert (STL)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is this just news to me?

18622334_786627851497884_2142668393875759098_n.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nugaut 7.1 installed, i don't see the hype? plus now i have to go some janky round about way to activate my s pen.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
It's very new. It runs on Verizon's cell network combined with Xfinity's wi fi hot spots.

They also are not charging a line access fee like all others do. I can change over to xfinity for $24 a month plus taxes/fees for both myself and my wife (maybe less if our data use stays the same) vs. about $47 a month on Fi. On Fi we have to pay $20 for line A and $15 for line B access fee (unlimited cell/text) and then add the data. Very interested to see how early adopters feel about the service.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
"Comcast"

"Service"

Yeah, good luck with that.

(I know you're talking about the phone service itself but I couldn't help it).

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You know I check around for my different renters, auto, etc insurance every year, and yet, regardless of the price, I don't ever do the same with my cell phone service. Of course sometimes it's true, maybe a lot of the times, but I feel like Verizon having the vastly better network back in the day sure as shit has paid for itself over and over again in sheer society perception.

All these deals like Xfinity or Fi sound great, but I don't want to mess up a good thing going with Verizon, even if it's more expensive. :(

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, I have thought about going back to Verizon on multiple occasions. To date their cell service has been far and away superior to anything else I have had. Currently I am on Fi and my wife and daughter are on TMobile, and while it is sufficient for the most part, it still just isn't as good. But every time I think about going back, upping my bill by $50-$100 per month just isn't worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Honestly Fi is just ok for us. I have problems where I often don't get MMS messages until way later and it sucks because I'll get other MMS messages and have no idea what people are talking about.

We saved a little money switching but not enough to really make it worth it.