Smartphones

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So whatever the fuck changes Google made to Gmail recently just about melted my Nexus 4 yesterday. The lock screen for my phone had the Gmail widget on it, and for whatever reason it was absolutely pinning my phone's CPU trying to update or some shit (the widget on the lock screen kept asking for me to choose one of the new inboxes or whatever, which I do not give one fuck about, I want a basic inbox god fucking dammit). My battery went from 80% to 14% in under half an hour, and the phone was almost too hot to touch. I tried restarting the phone, but it kept doing it, so I just removed the widget from the lock screen and that seemed to fix whatever the fuck was happening.

While I remain very happy with my phone and Android in general, that kind of shit happening is unacceptable.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
On a moron level of 1 - 10, 1 not moron to 10 huge moron, what level would I be for getting an encrypted password vault installed on my phone?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
While I remain very happy with the phone and Android in general, that kind of shit happening is unacceptable.
I'm of the same thought, however my issue right now is I'm just flat out bored of the android ecosystem. I rooted and tweaked my original Droid, and then went to the Bionic and never but for a brief moment had it rooted. Just got annoying and there wasn't anything I was really gaining.

It's now been another 2 years and I'm going to upgrade. Note 3 is the top contender, but just to get the sake of doing something different I considered going iPhone.

A new one will be announced soon and I heard rumored in different screen sizes even up to 5.9 inches?

Just really not sure what I'm going to do just yet but I'm sure when specs of the phones start coming out that will change.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
There was a bit on NPR today about Blackberry execs getting together to plan out what they we're going to do to not go down the drain.

This scene popped into my head.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
They are pretty much scrapping the new OS10 and reverting back to OS7. Such a shame about Blackberry. I was truly thinking about switching back to them because I miss a physical QWERTY keyboard.

Siliconemelons

They are pretty much scrapping the new OS10 and reverting back to OS7. Such a shame about Blackberry. I was truly thinking about switching back to them because I miss a physical QWERTY keyboard.
Is there a source for this? or is this based off the fact they released a new OS7 phone to give the corporate folks who don't want to re-infrastructure to OS10 something to buy? They have OS10.2 coming out soon that seems to resolve a lot of issues from the leaked version that is out- the Z30 that is a big slab phone should be announced soon- and hopefully after that a torch style phone.

I am sure if they wanted to they could just cocoon themselves in OS7 and QNX land and make a new Bold every two years and keep the company technically alive with what large corp accounts they still have.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
It might just be the new phone. But, the article discussed that they shipped out roughly 7 million phones and only about 2.5 million phones are actually running OS10. Will try and find the article.

Siliconemelons

I haven't found articles, but its something going on as the crackberry forums are all up in arms and getting in their doomsday bunkers etc.

maybe I can get a q10 real cheap heh

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone recommend a good media or music player for Android? Seems like the factory Google music app doesn't always want to play my music with consistency.

Siliconemelons

It might just be the new phone. But, the article discussed that they shipped out roughly 7 million phones and only about 2.5 million phones are actually running OS10. Will try and find the article.
Random rant about BlackBerry considering selling.....

1st: they misshandeled shit worse than HP did with WebOS- WebOS was on a long path back, that was stated from the get go it was a long slow process- then they had mr apsofuckingretarded Leo Apothiker come in and all sorts of fuck up HP "Lets not make computers yo, software and printers only" the fuk? BlackBerry is thinking they can turn shit around with a new OS in 1 or 2 quarters? no...and if that's what you promised and are now scrambling then- bye bye

2nd: HP to bolster their fledgeling app catalog - wrote apps for main "must haves" and gave them to the other companies- Pandora and Facebook being the biggest- and the made by HP and given to Facebook tablet app is... guess what? the best rated version and is now been ported to atleast their iOS version and I believe droid... they MADE Netflix for Netflix but apparently Netflix has some big stick up their ass and would not take it and release it- same with BB OS10 they said they would not even consider it...

2b: HP bought apps from their devs, and then gave them away as promo codes to anyone who asked for them- built a awesome app/game - it got noticed by HP? boom they just bought 2k of em to give away and you still get the $... nice... they also held contests etc and gave away cash prizes... BlackBerry has been split on this and done a bad job bringing in the devs- they I think where counting on their Android Runtime Layer to much- but the average user is not going to side load apps, they are going to the app store... also you MAKE NO MONEY from the droid apps being side-loaded... you need your app stores bringing you in that % of the cut, along with device sales etc etc

I will seriously lol if LG buys blackberry or whatever they are selling off- they bought WebOS, yet HP retained the palm/webos patent portfolio (huge huge huge there) -- I also could see HP buying them and just jump kicking into the ultra-corporate enterprise world with a BlackBerry HP OS10WebOS fuck all awesomeness

Siliconemelons

they need to stop trying to focus on the consumer market where the only thing people care about is tons of dumb apps and omg GHz! Go back to dominating the enterprise market and let the consumer side just float around like it was before... If they do not, and can't fight the fight, then don't even try.

I just want a cheap Q10 by the time my poor pre3 finally gives up the ghost.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Anybody know of an Android music player that doesn't just collect every .mp3 file on the phone and throw them all in together? I don't want my podcasts showing up in my music player but it seems like everything I've found just finds all your MP3s and doesn't allow you to specify or exclude folders that you don't want to show up.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Anybody know of an Android music player that doesn't just collect every .mp3 file on the phone and throw them all in together? I don't want my podcasts showing up in my music player but it seems like everything I've found just finds all your MP3s and doesn't allow you to specify or exclude folders that you don't want to show up.
Have you tried using a .nomedia folder for the stuff you want excluded?

http://android2know.blogspot.com/201...edia-file.html

There are also apps that do it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
What's the best phone these days? My contract is finally over. I'm really not into the faux-tablets since I like to have it fit in my pocket, lol.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
What's the best phone these days? My contract is finally over. I'm really not into the faux-tablets since I like to have it fit in my pocket, lol.
I would say current available at retailers right now, it is a toss-up between the S4 and the HTC One. I personally would look at an S4 Active, but I'm willing to make the small trade-offs for a phone I can go swimming with.

On the horizon, the new LG phone (G2 I think) looks to be the cream of the crop, but may be borderline on your "fit in my pocket" rule depending on if you wear skinny-jeans or not. The Moto X has some neat customizable features and is assembled in the USA (if that matters to you) but the hardware is decidedly middle of the road. Moto supposedly has a high-end phone rumored for fall, but no details atm. I am assuming the Note 3 will violate your "fits in pocket" rule, but may also be worth considering.

Those are your Android options anyways. You want Apple obviously whatever iPhone is currently out is the best
rolleyes.png
and for a Windows phone I guess the Lumia 1020 would be the way to go.

*edit: And if you want to get away from the carriers and contracts I still say a Nexus 4 on T-Mobiles $30 a month pre-paid plan is your absolute best value out there right now. (Quality of phone + price of service > subsidized phone + price of contract)

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just a comment on tue above the Lumia 1020 is pretty much just the 920/925 with a 42megapixle camera so if you aren't buying a camera I would look at the older models

Lusiphur

Peasant
I like the Google Nexus 4. Stock Android with no annoying crapware. Snappy and responsive phone that does everything I want a phone to do and it's not as large as the S4/HTC One.
With a SIM only deal you will probably end up saving money as well as the convenience of no contract.