Smartphones

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Smartphones are going to go the way of TVs very soon. Little reason for people to rush out and upgrade every year and with carriers charging full price, removing subsidies and pushing payment plans people will start thinking long and hard if that upgrade is worth the $40 a month per line extra.

If you're sitting on a 5+ inch 1080p screen with a quad core processor and 2gb or RAM why exactly are you going to rush out and upgrade again? Apple has another generation to catch up (RAM) but they won't be immune.
No reason really, and you are right. I still have a Samsung S3 which still serves me right. It will be 2 yrs this August and I paid $50 for it with a contract. But I will probably upgrade again to some other $50 phone they have a deal on, why? Because I can. Im hoping the Note 3 will be on special this summer with Verizon.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Blackberry?
f4bmn5t.jpg

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I've never really understood the need for a replaceable battery. Are there really enough situations where you couldn't just use a portable battery charger instead?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've never really understood the need for a replaceable battery. Are there really enough situations where you couldn't just use a portable battery charger instead?
batteries go to shit eventually and no amount of portable charging makes up for that.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will admit, the 10 minute charge for ~4 hours use sounds cool on the S6. I'd like to see real world results first.

Galaxy phones have always charged significantly faster than Apple due to the 2A charge. Apple still charges at a gimp 1A rate.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I've replaced batteries on a number of iPhones. It's not hard, unless you're a complete numpty, and the new battery costs a lot less than bringing it to Apple.

Siliconemelons

I've replaced batteries on a number of iPhones. It's not hard, unless you're a complete numpty, and the new battery costs a lot less than bringing it to Apple.
iPhone - iPhone 4 it was easy, almost 5 min work time if you have the correct screw driver-- the 5 and 6 they have made it really annoying to do it without stupid ribbon cables and taped parts all over the darn place before you get to the stupid battery.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Sooooo... how's the Note 4 guys?

This no removable battery shit is ruining my plans to get a Note 5.

Siliconemelons

Blackberry?
f4bmn5t.jpg
They have been doing good stuff the last year with Chen leading them- they still wont admit they are going to drop hardware soon(tm) - but they are doing to be a software and security firm once the transition will be done- they already are getting ties with Samsung etc.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I will admit, the 10 minute charge for ~4 hours use sounds cool on the S6. I'd like to see real world results first.

Galaxy phones have always charged significantly faster than Apple due to the 2A charge. Apple still charges at a gimp 1A rate.
I bought the turbo charger for the Moto X and it is awesome. Cost an extra $35 but the ability to plug it in for 15 minutes and get the battery to 50% is fantastic.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Sooooo... how's the Note 4 guys?

This no removable battery shit is ruining my plans to get a Note 5.
No regrets with my preorder, id recommend it. Only thing I hate about it is swiftkey has been utter shit for me.

Of course I upgraded from a s2 so it was a massive upgrade. If you have something newer like a M8 or S4/5, then it wouldnt be much of an ugprade.

fris

Vyemm Raider
the external charger means you have a changer hanging off your phone while using your phone, not always desirable.

my M7 still has good battery life despite being over 2 years old. my older sprint phones, i would have an army of extra batteries and and external chargers. most of those batteries were cheap knockoffs from ebay/china and never got good life. my external charger does 2amps, charges my phone faster than most of the wall/usb chargers.

i can see the need for both, but my expereince has shown me that extra batteries aren't as necessary anymore. i don't even see a need for microSD with how much media i just stream.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well Ive had my S3 for a year and a half and the battery is considerably weaker than it was in the beginning. I have to charge it both in the morning and at night, but I do play games on it and they drain the shit out of the battery. The biggest problem is the fucking overcharging and how it severely fucks up those batteries, or at least the S3, not sure if they fixed that issue in later models. But the dude even warned me at Verizon when I got it, "DONT LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN, when its charged." So im about to get a new battery, maybe, if I get around to it before my contract s up.

So yeah, I would also consider non replaceable batteries a deal breaker. Especially if you want to keep the phone for longer than the 2 yr contract.

Also anyone know how much this thing is worth to resell, maybe on ebay after my contract? Is it tied to exclusively Verizon? What do i have to do to it to sell it?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Isn't overcharging a myth? I was pretty sure most modern phones have technology in place to switch at 100%

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not anymore, but the S3 didnt.

edit: Well now im reading all kinds of shit on this and one place telling me that its a myth, and another that its not. So I dont fucking know. All I know that my battery has definitely degraded over time.

edit2: So I just downloaded an app for monitoring my battery and here is what it says plugged in at 100%

rrr_img_92001.jpg

So it does seem like its not charging anymore and it is a myth.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not anymore, but the S3 didnt.

edit: Well now im reading all kinds of shit on this and one place telling me that its a myth, and another that its not. So I dont fucking know. All I know that my battery has definitely degraded over time.
The S3 was one of the last phones that included a Lithium-Ion battery instead of the newer (and more reliable) Lithium-Polymer batteries. Over roughly 500 charges, you can see a degradation of ~50% in worst case situations.

That could be why you're seeing this type of battery loss, where the newer devices with Li-Po batteries are losing ~20% over a similar amount of charges.

Edit: Hit enter too fast