Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
New iPhone 6's coming this year are looking sweet! With rounded edges, and being thinner, I can totally see the larger size. As it stands right now, way too thick to go 4.7" or 5.5" versions, but thinner? Hell ya!

Fallen pretty in love with the iPhone ecosystem, not going to lie. I wish that Android and iOS worked better between each other.

As a new parent, sharing pictures, and videos is way way easier on iMessage. Facetime integration is way easier than having to load Skype. One of the 4-5 wife and I regularly text in family is an Android user, and group texts are stupid with her. Her replies are all sent as single messages, not part of the group, and to hell trying to send video to any Android user.

Was an OG Droid user, and then Moto Bionic after that, but don't think I can go back.
frown.png

Vaclav

On messaging, even my GNex without extra apps could handle extended IMs. And never seen video on GNex being an issue, straight stock Android with videos from an iPhone.

Pretty sure that complaint hasn't applied in years for Android.

On Skype, I think it's amusing the most loyal Skype users I know are doing it on iPhone...

It seems you're basing your opinions on 2014 iPhone vs 2008-2010 Android to me.

Crone

I think most iPhone versus Android conversations have to end with we'll just agree to disagree. My experience was OG Droid, and Bionic, and my wife's Droid RAZR MAXX. We both upgraded this last September to iPhone 5s. So that's at most 2012 to 2013?

I should clarify, video between iPhone and Android works as long as the video is only 6-7 seconds. Any longer, and it won't work.

And messaging, don't know what to tell you. We've sat in the same exact room, to try and get messaging to work through Handcent, or default messaging app, and no matter what we did, couldn't get it to just combine the Androids response into the group message. Maybe it's just a limitation. Android replies, and all other people get it as a single text from that user. iPhone replies, and it comes into the group "thread".

For as limited of use that I use my iPhone, I could probably be very happy with a new Android phone. I'm not doing anything that's required to have an iPhone, but with so many others I interact with being on iPhone, the conveniences have been nice.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Only a few hours with the M8 so far but I'm liking it a lot. SenseUI is pretty slick. Great phone so far. Curious about battery life though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Can anyone recommend a small (if not the smallest) Android smart phone? I had a Samsung infuse and I hated it. I wound up ditching it to go back to a flip phone while my contract ran out. I need something very small. Don't care if it has a camera or anything like that or really any aps. I just the need ability to talk, text a little, and would like a full screen dial pad unlike my flip phone which I have problems dialing with my fingers.

Vaclav

I think most iPhone versus Android conversations have to end with we'll just agree to disagree. My experience was OG Droid, and Bionic, and my wife's Droid RAZR MAXX. We both upgraded this last September to iPhone 5s. So that's at most 2012 to 2013?
Not sure what OG Droid is to look up, Bionic is 2011 and RAZR Maxx was barely 2012 (Jan 26, 2012). Still pretty dated. And no version history to quote what version of Android you were talking about. (4.1.2 is pretty close to the 4.2 I'm familiar with from the GNex which itself is dated and doesn't suffer from your issues...)

I should clarify, video between iPhone and Android works as long as the video is only 6-7 seconds. Any longer, and it won't work.
34 second video of the niece is on my default IM on my M8 right now, recorded on a iPhone and it plays 100% fine. Same one booting my old GNex runs on it as well although with a few bits of choppiness that look similar to "buffering for Netflix" or something - but the entire video ran.

This problem doesn't exist on either reasonably recent Android phone that I have at my immediate disposal.

Oh wait, got the wife's Nexus S too - and... it runs perfectly, no choppiness even - and full 34 seconds.

And messaging, don't know what to tell you. We've sat in the same exact room, to try and get messaging to work through Handcent, or default messaging app, and no matter what we did, couldn't get it to just combine the Androids response into the group message. Maybe it's just a limitation. Android replies, and all other people get it as a single text from that user. iPhone replies, and it comes into the group "thread".
Oh you were talking about character limit then said "grouped texts" I thought you were still referring to multiple texts from going over 180 characters as "grouped texts" - not familiar with sending mass texts to multiple people at once, always 1 on 1 mine - I do know there's options to send group texts under Android however, since I have seen the father-in-law mistakenly mass text a ton of people by mistake at times. Likely it just doesn't import it by default - I can't think of many circumstances where I'd ever send out a mass text and want the responses to go to everyone, if I was going to do something like that I'd just use a different format like Facebook or email. I can't imagine "Vaclav texts - Party at my place 6pm RSVP" with everyone RSVP'ing to everyone else of the dozens I invited rather than just me, so much noise to signal.

Maybe there's some narrow applications where it's handy (and I'm sure there's an app that does similar threading) but it seems a very narrow thing to worry with. If it's even a thing, since as stated it's not a functionality that has had any purpose to me.

For as limited of use that I use my iPhone, I could probably be very happy with a new Android phone. I'm not doing anything that's required to have an iPhone, but with so many others I interact with being on iPhone, the conveniences have been nice.
iPhone does obviously tend to play best with itself. This is true.

Vaclav

Only a few hours with the M8 so far but I'm liking it a lot. SenseUI is pretty slick. Great phone so far. Curious about battery life though.
Usually end a full day with plenty of use (including screen on time) without any battery saving options on with 30-40% with mine.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
As a new parent, sharing pictures, and videos is way way easier on iMessage. Facetime integration is way easier than having to load Skype. One of the 4-5 wife and I regularly text in family is an Android user, and group texts are stupid with her. Her replies are all sent as single messages, not part of the group, and to hell trying to send video to any Android user.
She must have a very old Android phone. Group text was fixed in Jelly Bean.

Tea_sl

shitlord
It was time for the wife and I to get new phones last week. She got an S5, and I got an LG g flex. Phones have gotten awesome.

Inque

FunEmployed
Anyone with a Note 3 who upgraded to Kitkat and lost S-Voice as their default app? I installed the update to Google Search and EVERYTHING is Google Voice, not that I'm complaining, but at least on the S5 I managed to let it choose what voice program I want when using a bluetooth; Now all I get is effing Google Voice prompts and the only way to switch to S-Voice is to disable Google Search.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a Note 3 and KitKat but I've never used any voice programs. How can I tell which one is the default?

Inque

FunEmployed
Under Application manager. Or if you have a bluetooth connected, press it's button and see what pops up is the easiest.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Ya S5.....international variants are all pretty stable at this pt I believe. Sprints version is still full of non-working things like screen rotation and camera. Im sure thosell be ironed out soon (or maybe they have been...up the mtns for memorial day weekend).