Smartphones

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I believe that is accurate, but it will not work on Verizon. So. Nope for me.
frown.png

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Apple is finally releasing the keyboard API for third parties in ios 8. And family sharing. May not leave after all!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Man that's great that Apple finally managed to build in some great features my jailbroken iPhone had back in 2010. Oh and good for them, stealing ideas from Facebook messenger, Snapchat, WhatsApp. Some real revolutionary shit going on. Predictive typing? That's gonna change the world.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Man that's great that Apple finally managed to build in some great features my jailbroken iPhone had back in 2010. Oh and good for them, stealing ideas from Facebook messenger, Snapchat, WhatsApp. Some real revolutionary shit going on. Predictive typing? That's gonna change the world.
I don't give a shit how they do it. Just improve the OS is all I care about. I like android but always hated how you had to constantly monitor all the shit in the background chewing your battery. Shouldn't need a new beta of a rom and custom kernels to tweak the OS to a better state.

I actually kinda agree with apple and windows approach. Makes for a tighter user interface and can really optimize the hell out of it. Android just throws raw specs at it and even with all those specs, still isn't as smooth as ios or windows.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Modern Android phones really don't need monitoring to make sure they're not wasting battery on background apps or lagging from RAM overload.

He'll, there's even an option in recent versions to limit how many background apps are allowed, even ZERO to mimic that wonderful "benefit".

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I haven't had to monitor background battery usage since getting my Nexus 5. It replaced a gnex, so 4.2 -> 4.4. I rooted them just in case, but I haven't had to install BetterBatteryStats yet. 4+ days on one charge is my best so far.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, battery issues used to be a thing with Android but it's really not anymore. From what I've heard the Iphone 5 is actually below average for battery these days. If you haven't tried Android in a couple years you might want to give it another shot. They have come a long way while IOS has stagnated.

Siliconemelons

My wife has 3 lightning cables (each 15+ bucks THANKS APPLE) that she has at home, car and work because her stupid iPhone cant last more than half a day with moderate use. My BlackBerry Q10 is clocking in at about 50-60% when I get home from work with moderate use during the work day.

From what I understand most lauded droid high bettery life phones are the bigger ones with large batteries- throwing "specs" at it rather than improving actual performance efficiency- much the PC/Android way of doing things- but as you said... I haven't used a new droid, in about a year now so I cannot say- my friend has the v1 HTC one and never seems to complain about battery life.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, battery issues used to be a thing with Android but it's really not anymore. From what I've heard the Iphone 5 is actually below average for battery these days. If you haven't tried Android in a couple years you might want to give it another shot. They have come a long way while IOS has stagnated.
I don't really agree. Several of the more recent Android OS updates have caused weird shit to happen with my Nexus 4, with either exchange services or Gmail causing massive, rapid drains on my phone battery for no apparent reason. Pretty sure I've bitched about it in this or another thread on this board. It's gotten better, sure, but every now and then they drop the ball with an update. Or an app goes haywire in the background. Google Play Services sometimes ends up at the top of my battery drain list, for reasons I can only guess at.

Crone

My iPhone 5s lasts. 24-48 hours on a charge depending on what I'm doing. Run Logmein and control my PC for a while , sure my battery will drain fast. That'd be the same no matter what phone.

If you need to charge your phone that often I feel like something's wrong.
frown.png

Vaclav

24-48 hrs with a 5S that actually gets used at all beyond sitting idle as a phone? Bullshit.

Even just sitting it idle streaming music to a stereo on BT kills the bro in law's 5S battery in around 5 hrs. Doing Skype he gets maybe 2 hrs out of it.

What are you considering "normal use"? Because I don't think it would fit most definitions.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
My Lumia 920 is usually under 15% by the time I get home from work :/ That includes listening to a podcast during my 50 mile round trip, push notifications from facebook or whatever throughout the day, and some reddit / rerolled browsing while I eat lunch.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Que the Slow Poke meme: I'd never used Google Now until the most recent updates because I'd heard horror stories of it shitting all over battery life. I have it turned now and it just warned me when to leave in current traffic order to make a meeting in a little bit. Sweet!

I still haven't plugged my S3 in. I'll have to post the latest pic with updated times on it. Granted it is a large 3rd party replacement battery but still... I think I'm on like day 11 or 12 now without plugging it in. I use it for reddit a little bit before bed and as an alarm clock.

Vaclav

Yea Google Now gas some amazing moments and the battery life implications are negligible with recent phones.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't really agree. Several of the more recent Android OS updates have caused weird shit to happen with my Nexus 4, with either exchange services or Gmail causing massive, rapid drains on my phone battery for no apparent reason. Pretty sure I've bitched about it in this or another thread on this board. It's gotten better, sure, but every now and then they drop the ball with an update. Or an app goes haywire in the background. Google Play Services sometimes ends up at the top of my battery drain list, for reasons I can only guess at.
I have seen your posts about this stuff, but you are literally the only person I have heard of with these problems so I suspect something with your device or at least specific to the Nexus 4.

My LG G2 is usually at around 50% in the evening and that is with me being in a rural area where it is constantly searching for signal and me listening to podcasts for 4-8 hours a day. If I forget to plug it in at night it is usually at 15-30% by morning.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
My Verizon iPhone 5S lasts a day and a half easy. Before I went to Verizon, I had a Sprint 5S, and the battery sucked ass. I think the quality of the network has something to do with it, as Sprint sucks ass around here, so it's constantly trying to grab signal. Verizon's network is awesome here.

Vaclav

My bro-in-law that I'm quoting is Verizon - so try again on it being a "Verizon has better signal" thing. (plus 3/4 of the times I'm quoting he was Wi-Fi anyhow)

Why don't either of you quote your actual use pattern? I went 4 days with less than 10% battery on my old GNexus with a shit battery because it's constantly in airplane mode doing nothing just sitting in a drawer with everything turned off - but that doesn't mean that the battery on it is awesome since that's an abnormal use pattern.

Crone

My bro-in-law that I'm quoting is Verizon - so try again on it being a "Verizon has better signal" thing. (plus 3/4 of the times I'm quoting he was Wi-Fi anyhow)

Why don't either of you quote your actual use pattern? I went 4 days with less than 10% battery on my old GNexus with a shit battery because it's constantly in airplane mode doing nothing just sitting in a drawer with everything turned off - but that doesn't mean that the battery on it is awesome since that's an abnormal use pattern.
I have no problem posting my use pattern. I haven't checked the thread in a little while. My bad? Although I don't think it'll matter. I get it. Android rules. iPhone drools. Right?

With normal use including texting, web browsing, some remote PC through Logmein, and some app useage like Yelp, I can go 7am-10pm and be 20-50% of my battery left. I charge it every night regardless. If I left it go, I know I'd probably get half way through the next day before having to charge it. Weekends it's different since I'm not on it nearly as much, compared to when I'm at work. I can let it go all weekend on 1 charge, but that's just with texting, and light web/apps.

Vaclav

Can't quote the remote PC power consumption since I don't do that, but the rest of that I could hammer my current Android with all day and still have 75% or so assuming there's about 3 hrs of screen on time in there. (About 20% of the workday - sounds reasonable to compare - if say it's 40% of your day the screen would be on, 50% - and note: that's with a 80% brightness on the screen, I don't even bother using a dimmed screen because it's unnecessary now [I was doing 100% but it's honestly uncomfortably bright for me the 80% brightness is just for my eyes, not for power])

And the point was you were implying better battery consumption from iPhone which just doesn't seem remotely accurate with identical usage patterns these days - it's pretty well documented across most websites that aren't obvious Apple shills that 5S is playing catchup on battery this generation. They were ahead of the game last year, and who knows they may pull ahead come iPhone 6, but right now they're behind.