Smartphones

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I tried to order a 1+1. Servers all crashed in the beginning. Then paypal flagged it as a dangerous charge. After spending most of that time on the phone with paypal, they couldn't even tell me why it wasn't being processed. I wasn't able to actually order.

If anyone who ordered a phone has an invite, I'd certainly appreciate it so I could get a phone.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Did you download the optional camera settings? Like food, sport shot, house walk through? shit like that. Some awesome free addons to the camera using the "download" function of mode.

Also, I have another app that I got for free last month called Paper Camera. It's kinda like instagram in that it puts filters on your pictures, but one of the filters makes it look like your picture was drawn with pencils. Really awesome.
Hmm, no I haven't yet. And that picture camera filter thing looks sweet. I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Do you have a link to these extra camera effects you mentioned?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I don't have a link per say. Here's how to access them on your phone (Galaxy Note 4)

Open "Camera" app.
Click on the "Mode" button on the bottom of the screen.
Scroll down the list to the very bottom and click on "Download".
Download all 6 of the camera shot effects from the list. (Sequence shot, Animated Photo, Surround shot, Sports shot, Sound & shot, Food shot).

Those 6 won't vanish from your list after you download them, but they will be added to the Mode list of shots you can take after the fact.
As for the drawing looking picture, it's a paid 3rd party app.

Open up your Play Store app, then search for "Paper Camera". It's from a company called JFDP Labs.
I'm not sure how much the app is (I got it for free when Amazon had a huge give away last month), but I would buy it if I didn't already have it. Takes some great pictures, and there's a lot more effects than just the paper one.
EDIT: My wife has an iPhone, and her app store has the Paper Camera for free, so maybe it is for Android as well.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Just in case anyone is silly enough (like me) to try it: Stay far away from PanGu's latest jailbreak for iOS 8. It is a clusterfuck unless you do your homework well in advance and all the stars/planets happen to be aligned when you install. Wait for a couple weeks at least.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
On that note, how long did it take you to receive your phone after it had been shipped?
3 days from CA to FL. The site took a bit to update and when it had my product was already shipped w/ tracking. I imagine if you got in with the huge wave it will be slow to update.

Packaging is amazing. Enjoy opening it. Seriously.

Invites have been slow, I haven't gotten any, likely because they were in production to fill this wave of open orders.

I recommend trying slimkat with bacon and franco. There are two versions of the kernel make sure you get the correct one. Great phone. Play with the camera some, use google camera or third party type and you'll be good with it.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I'm in SF and the LTE is absolute shit. It is so spotty that I disabled it and it's been much better ever since. If I had a choice though, I would not have gotten Verizon because the lack of support outside the country is laaaaaame.

edit: Looks like I was unfortunate enough to get a CDMA only phone. Lol.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I recommend trying slimkat with bacon and franco. There are two versions of the kernel make sure you get the correct one. Great phone. Play with the camera some, use google camera or third party type and you'll be good with it.
Do you recommend it because the out of box software is buggy, or because you're a long time Android user with preferences? I am coming to Android after 4 years of Windows Phone so I feel like the default options will already be 300x more than what I'm used to.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Decided to randomly check my LTE speed when I pulled up to work the other day. I was impressed.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

rrr_img_80346.jpg

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Do you recommend it because the out of box software is buggy, or because you're a long time Android user with preferences? I am coming to Android after 4 years of Windows Phone so I feel like the default options will already be 300x more than what I'm used to.
Stick with stock then and if you feel the need try other things.

I'm just an obsessive tweaker

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I would definitely encourage you to play around with stock CM for a while. Once you get a feel for what you do and don't like about it, that's the time to start playing with custom roms.

I will second Kedwyn's endorsement of Franco kernel. You can add that to CM on the 1+1, but you have to grab the unofficial CAF version of Franco, since his kernel is AOSP based. If you later decide to switch to an AOSP based rom, the official version from the Franco kernel updater in the play store will get you the correct version.

As far as roms go, I would suggest checking outParanoid Android, that's what I run on my Nexus 4. It doesn't focus on the number of features like some roms do, instead it adds a few polished features to android.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Felt for a while iPhone was gay - I guess that confirms it!

(Bur seriously, who honestly cares besides minor one off jokes like that)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
ITT: Apple CEO gives his irrelevant opinion and most people discuss Android at length.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Side note: External battery packs are AWESOME. I have one of these and highly recommend getting one. They are extremely useful to have, especially if you're stuck at an airport or losing battery on a plane or traveling or whatever and don't have access to an outlet and need to charge your phone. They are a total godsend and one of the best purchases I've made. This one should hold 5-6 full charges of your phone depending on which model you have.

Poweradd Pilot X5 16000mAh External Battery Pack $25