Smartphones

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I got 5.0 on my Nexus 5 today as well. I haven't had much time to even really look at it, but it appears to have completely nuked my work email. When you click on the email app it tells you that it is now merged with Gmail, and to go there. WTF, I don't want my work email integrated with that.

Hopefully I am missing something somewhere.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They are still separate accounts, why not merge them into a single app? Doesn't seem like there's any lost functionality.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well like I said I haven't really looked at it much yet. I assume I have to go through setting it all back up with my work email. I had mostly only used the widget to glance at work email anyway, so it wasn't the end of the world. Also, I had stopped using Gmail and went to Inbox, so I still have 2 apps to use now.

I assume the Gmail widget works the same as the email one did.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
If you want some oneplus invites PM me. Only if you're ready to buy today. 64gb Sandstone black.

I'll check my PM's tonight and send out the invites. Provide your email in the PM.

I have 6 to share.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've got a OPO invite as well if someone wants it. Got tired of waiting. Bought a different phone.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Well like I said I haven't really looked at it much yet. I assume I have to go through setting it all back up with my work email. I had mostly only used the widget to glance at work email anyway, so it wasn't the end of the world. Also, I had stopped using Gmail and went to Inbox, so I still have 2 apps to use now.

I assume the Gmail widget works the same as the email one did.
If you tap the overflow button at the top of the GMail app, you should see an icon for each of your email apps (GMail, Exchange, Outlook.com, etc) and you tap each one of those to open that particular email address.

It takes a little getting used to, but so far I've liked the updated GMail app.

Edit: a word

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
http://www.staples.com/BLU-Life-Play...opdown_4152566'
$120 for the Blu Life Play. No LTE though but otherwise a damn solid phone for that price.
For us people on the cheaps
Specs says 4.2 but I can verify it updates to 4.4 on first internet use.

4.7" LED-backlit IPS LCD Capacitive Multi-Touchscreen
Android v4.2 (Jelly Bean)
8 Megapixel Camera (3264 x 2448 pixels) w/ Autofocus, LED flash + Front-Facing 2 Megapixel Camera
Quad-Core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A7 Processor, PowerVR SGX544 Graphics
Internal Memory: 8GB ROM, 1GB RAM + microSD Slot Expandable up to 32GB
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot, Bluetooth: v4.0, USB: microUSB v2.0, GPS: with A-GPS
Browser: HTML5, Messaging: SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
Li-Ion 1800 mAh battery
Dimensions: 5.40 x 2.70 x 0.35 (inches)
My parents both bought one of these when the missed the Nexus 4 fire sale last year. Decent phones that run almost stock android. The internal memory is partitioned for some strange reason. The phone thinks it only has 2 gigs or so free internal memory and the rest is partitioned in to a virtual SD card.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Went and grabbed the Nexus 6 today. There was already a few people there in front of me, and by the time I left they sold their last one. Haven't had any time to play with it, but will report back when I do.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I may be retarded (entirely possible) but I thought that 5.0 and/or the Nexus 6 allowed wifi calling. Did I totally miss that somewhere? For the life of me, I can't find the setting anywhere to turn it on if it is in there.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Grab the Hangouts dialer from the play store if it isn't already installed. You use it instead of the regular dialer when you want to make calls over wifi.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nope, you don't need gvoice at all. I've made calls with hangouts and it just shows up as private on calller ID. I've never used gvoice and definitely don't have a number with it.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My world just came crashing down. I can't believe this, but there are no notification lights on the N6. It was one of those things I just sort of assumed was there and didn't look into it at all. I loved my lights, and I am not sure what I am going to do without them

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The notification light on the Nexus 9 only works when ambient display is disabled, but it seems that that they decided not to go with that on the Nexus 6. I wish they did include one, but with ambient display I think I could live without it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I kind of hate the notification light lately. I wish it wasn't blinking all night while I'm trying to sleep.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Nope, you don't need gvoice at all. I've made calls with hangouts and it just shows up as private on calller ID. I've never used gvoice and definitely don't have a number with it.
Well, might be helpful for all the carrier switching you might be doing. If someone calls you and you want to answer in Hangouts, you'll need gvoice for that.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I knew about the hangouts thing, but that isn't exactly what I was looking for I guess.

I was under the assumption that it was going to be the same as how the iPhone 6 works, and you can simply hook up to any WiFi signal and make calls normally. I know that is how my wife's phone works.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you port your number over to gvoice and use the gvoice app to make all calls(through the system dialer) through gvoice, you can get 90% of the way there. There's still some hitches like the hangouts dialer not registering as a system dialer.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I stopped using hangouts dialer for two reasons:

First, the screen didn't truly turn off during calls, but instead just displayed a dark color. This meant it heated up quite a bit, and my cheek also activated buttons. I got very annoyed after each call and I found a bunch of settings changed because my cheek had been activating stuff from the menu as I talked.

Second, the voice quality was quite poor compared to the stock dialer. Voices sounded very robotic and would cut out frequently.

This was a couple months ago - anyone have similar issues? If so, are they resolved?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I believe both of those have been resolved. I can't comment personally on the first one, I don't make calls enough to notice if my cheeks are changing settings, but I will look out for it now. The call quality has been outstanding for me, much better than any other VOIP services I have used(Vonage being the lone exception). What pleased me the most is that the latency is pretty much gone.

The integration of gvoice into hangouts definitely had the feel of being a live beta. I use the hangouts extension in Chrome and couldn't find a way to SMS one of my contacts that didn't have a gmail account. Even after figuring out I had press the phone button just to bring up that contact, it still wouldn't let me SMS them, defaulting to a call instead. In a rare moment of frustration, I left some detailed feedback and the next day the SMS button was there. Likely a coincidence. Anyway, a lot has improved lately, I would give another try.