John Smedley hired by Amazon to produce MMOs

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Do you people actually consider Destiny to be more of an MMO than H1Z1 is? Seriously? People these days just label any game that is online as an MMO apparently.

Never played H1Z1, but played the shit out of Destiny, and yeah I would definitely consider that a mmorpg, although a light one. Classes, leveling, story, quests, shit to grind, group dungeon instances, raids, PvP instances unique items to acquire including gear sets. I mean its not WoW in breadth and scope, but its sure is a mmorpg on consoles, and pretty popular too. D2 should be coming out at the end of this year/beginning of next year and im all in. The game has also one of the best shooter experiences in any game Ive played. Bungie really dialed that shit in over the last few decades, and it shows.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Ok I am on board with the "stop recycling these same names over and over again in this business". It's like hiring a failed coach time after time (hello Rex Ryan). Actually the more I think about it the Smed = Rex Ryan comparison has merit. Anyways.

If you're a company that wants to get into the business of producing a MMO and you're not one of the small handful of established studios how exactly do you go about finding the right person to lead your Dev team? The Brads and Smeds get rehired despite a laundry list of failures, because they have SOME history of success. It's less risky? I don't know.

Genuinely trying to understand what name(s) or hiring action would make you guys react positively if hired on to develop a MMO, because I don't know myself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't expect anything from Smed, and I doubt any future MMOs would amount to anything. However, is the quoted part actually fact, just conjecture, or even made up? I could believe it if you just mean the time EQ spent on life support but still made expansions, but that was post-WoW and EQ was a footnote at that point. I thought EQ did pretty well for 4 years in both box sales and subs.

The term "post-WoW" should be more defined since that could mean any time beyond 2004 when it launched. Yes, many left EQ in 2004 as evidenced by the drop in subs but that does not mean EQ instantly become some footnote. I don't recall the numbers but even if EQ subs were cut in half, that's still 200-250K subs they had in pocket by the end of 2004. Even if it was a bit lower than that, at $13/mo per sub, that's still well north of $2M per month in subs revenue they had to protect. Yet Smed continued to favor quantity over quality in everything he touched while WoW took the opposite approach.

I maintain that had Smed took a different approach and poured more resources into EQ instead of re-dploying them in the numerous EQ successors way before they needed to, the EQ franchise could have been significantly more successful even to this day.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure there are facets to this that I'm not aware of that influenced some of his decisions. However, once I saw what he did with Hero's Song, it absolutely screams of some of the same critical mistakes I saw happen with EQ over the years. The common denominator being Smed himself.

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Edit: Totally agree with the above, V Vinjin .

they sure did squander the EQ thing over the years for sure. They should of took a page from WoWs book and took a hard look at what they were doing. But at that point they had EQ2 to worry about too. (I will never know why create a game that competes with one of your own, lol) Instead of EQ2, they should of upgraded EQ with new engine and continued to spend at least 80% of their resources on their bread and butter. even if they took a pause for a year or two to figure shit out and do it right. I bet they could of even got some people back, and a ton of new players too by doing this instead of putting EQ on basic life support and trying to make EQ2 the next thing, which was a mess all of its own.

As to the people and leadership, I thiink the problem is that I think the gaming industry is small, and all the good people are gobbled up quickly. I dont think there is many CEO/Producer types out there, and if they are they get snatched up. This is why we keep seeing the same names over and over. Not saying the dude cant run production or lead people, I just think creative shit like games, you need more than business type level leadership.

Last edited:

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you're a company that wants to get into the business of producing a MMO and you're not one of the small handful of established studios how exactly do you go about finding the right person to lead your Dev team? The Brads and Smeds get rehired despite a laundry list of failures, because they have SOME history of success. It's less risky? I don't know.

Genuinely trying to understand what name(s) or hiring action would make you guys react positively if hired on to develop a MMO, because I don't know myself.

Depends on the type of MMO you're trying to make and the target audience that you have in mind for it. For example, if I'm interested in making a game like BDO, then I'm clearly not looking to hire someone like Brad or any of the older re-treads in the industry. That kind of game demands younger, more artistic minds and leadership to pull off successfully. And given how huge the gaming industry has become in the last 5-10 years, I'm guessing there is no shortage of qualified people to fit the bill.

Having said that, I think there's still a place for guys like Brad to develop successful, more niche-oriented MMOs that appeal to a smaller gamer audience provided the expectations are set properly up front in terms of creative direction, revenue goals, profit margins, etc. There were many issues at Sigil but I believe a major part of Vanguard's failure was Brad over-estimating these key areas. Couple that with the increase in gamers' expectations for what they were willing to tolerate in the games they were paying to play and it all completely blew up in their face.

I put Brad and Smed in different categories though. For most of their time together, I believe Brad worked for Smed. His only real failure that I recall is Vanguard. Meanwhile, Smed's list of failures and underperformers is quite the laundry list indeed.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
As to the people and leadership, I thiink the problem is that I think the gaming industry is small, and all the good people are gobbled up quickly. I dont think there is many CEO/Producer types out there, and if they are they get snatched up. This is why we keep seeing the same names over and over. Not saying the dude cant run production or lead people, I just think creative shit like games, you need more than business type level leadership.

Small? The video game industry is billions per year in revenue. There are now dozens of platforms to develop games for. Colleges and universities now offer degrees and curriculums in video game development.

There's tons of proof showing the industry has exploded in the last 10 years and shows no signs of slowing down, which is enough of a selling point to attract qualified leadership from other industries depending on the project.

• 1Solidarity

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I don't know if EQ subs were cut in half by early 2015, which kinda gets back to my question. Your point seems to be that EQ could have remained a competitor if they had stuck with it. I feel like I disagree with that and would guess they dropped to 20% or less by mid-2015. But I don't have any numbers and feels data is worthless. That's why asked about the facts behind your statement about EQ1 revenue.

I will never know why create a game that competes with one of your own, lol) Instead of EQ2, they should of upgraded EQ with new engine and continued to spend at least 80% of their resources on their bread and butter.

That's definitely true. But it also means the decision to relegate EQ1 to the back of the shelf was made years before WoW. Imagine a world without WoW where EQ2 is actually a success, what was the plan there? Shut down EQ1 in 2006? Or keep it limping along just like they actually did?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
I don't know if EQ subs were cut in half by early 2015, which kinda gets back to my question. Your point seems to be that EQ could have remained a competitor if they had stuck with it. I feel like I disagree with that and would guess they dropped to 20% or less by mid-2015. But I don't have any numbers and feels data is worthless. That's why asked about the facts behind your statement about EQ1 revenue.
Have no idea on the validity or accuracy of the data, but if it's correct, it looks like the subs took a nose dive in 2005.

0KKCR.png

Last edited:

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Small? The video game industry is billions per year in revenue. There are now dozens of platforms to develop games for. Colleges and universities now offer degrees and curriculums in video game development.

There's tons of proof showing the industry has exploded in the last 10 years and shows no signs of slowing down, which is enough of a selling point to attract qualified leadership from other industries depending on the project.
I think he meant the pool of employees qualified for these types of positions.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not 2015 but 2005-2006, right about the time Wow and EQ2 came out. Look at EQ2 numbers too, they went up to almost 350K and then also took a header right about the time WoW hit shelves.

It just goes to my theory that EQ2 did nothing but hurt them in the long run, they were just switching subscriptions from one game to another then the bottom fell out when WoW hit in 2005.

Also these days its hard to judge who is playing what because of all acess. And they dont publish numbers. Daybreaks all acess basically means one dude could be playing like 3-4games, lol. I would take that above chart with a grain of salt.

If you want to see fail, just look at Warhammer, lol. They got 800K then lost them all within moths. All those spikes in the beginning for every game just means to me that people were open for new shit, its just that none of it was any good. No one capitalized on that.

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Your point seems to be that EQ could have remained a competitor if they had stuck with it. I feel like I disagree with that and would guess they dropped to 20% or less by mid-2015.

You make it sound like because they weren't able to compete with WoW, EQ dropped to nothing, which is clearly not true. The chart posted above is what I recalled and shows EQ subs still in the 200K range. That may be close to a third of it's peak prior to WoW and is a fraction of what WoW did, but everyone knew that EQ had a much lower cap than WoW did. The bottom line is it was still significant revenue that leadership could've used to their advantage.

Smed was leadership. He didn't.

That's definitely true. But it also means the decision to relegate EQ1 to the back of the shelf was made years before WoW. Imagine a world without WoW where EQ2 is actually a success, what was the plan there? Shut down EQ1 in 2006? Or keep it limping along just like they actually did?

That's my whole point. They saw WoW coming and knew the technological mess they had with EQ. So they decided to "hurry up" and create a platform in EQ2 that could (in theory) compete with WoW from a technology standpoint, knowing full well that it would also bleed their own cash cow in EQ1 at the same time. It might've been different had they released EQ2 as a polished and tech-stable game, but it was exactly the opposite, which only exacerbated their problems.

Again, Smed was in charge of these decisions. The fault lies on him.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's my whole point. They saw WoW coming and knew the technological mess they had with EQ. So they decided to "hurry up" and create a platform in EQ2 that could (in theory) compete with WoW from a technology standpoint, knowing full well that it would also bleed their own cash cow in EQ1 at the same time. It might've been different had they released EQ2 as a polished and tech-stable game, but it was exactly the opposite, which only exacerbated their problems.

Again, Smed was in charge of these decisions. The fault lies on him.

Yup, I agree. He was playing a defensive reactionary game rather than a well thought out offense. Again, new engine, more QoL changes for their bread and butter, EQ would of went a long way to keep those 200K-250K and maybe even expand a bit. The entire EQ2 was just a mistake IMO.

Also wow was released at the right time and the right way, with low PC requirements, and at the time when PC sales and broadband were exploding. They also had the name, Blizzard and Warcraft, which every PC player knew. EQ was a niche neckbeard game.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
That graph makes me sad, especially City of Heroes. That could have been a great game but they totally fucked it up.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Never played H1Z1, but played the shit out of Destiny, and yeah I would definitely consider that a mmorpg, although a light one. Classes, leveling, story, quests, shit to grind, group dungeon instances, raids, PvP instances unique items to acquire including gear sets. I mean its not WoW in breadth and scope, but its sure is a mmorpg on consoles, and pretty popular too. D2 should be coming out at the end of this year/beginning of next year and im all in. The game has also one of the best shooter experiences in any game Ive played. Bungie really dialed that shit in over the last few decades, and it shows.

I never played destiny myself but watching my brother play it it seemed a lot more like diablo (online but to actually do anything you make a "game" with a small group and actually play the content. I personally don't consider a game an MMO unless it's a consistent world and not just a lobby you can run around in (maybe i'm wrong tho and destiny isn't like that?).

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well MMO, means Massive Multiplayer Online.Lots of people palying online game. Which is exactly what Destiny is. Maybe you mean MMORPG?

The problem comparing the two is its like comparing Apples and Oranges. Destiny is a console game limited by shitty old consoles when they made it, like xbox360, so the world instances are capped at like 12-16 players. So you do run into other people in the world(planets and shit) but its limited to console hardware bullshit. But its a true rpg in the sense that it has all the features of an mmorpg except you wont be seeing more than 12-or 16 players in any given time. To me it was a mix of both a lobby and non lobby game. So in that fact you are correct to a point.

But its no different than say WoWs persitant world other than the amount of players in any given "zone" wows dungeon and raid instances were exactly the same, only your party entered, no one else. PvP?, same shit although PvP in Destiny was only limited to instances, no "pvp servers" or other factions to fight in the world instances.

The new one coming out will definitely be more peeps and more mmo like with persistent world. Or so they say. As they are designing it with only current PS4+ and XBOX1+ type hardware in mind.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Smed's totally gonna make a VR MMO that utilizes fun and exercise with amazons bankroll behind him, it's the only way he'll stop tweeting about being a fat guy and actually do something about it

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Amazon has boatloads of money. Make something half way interesting and it include the game in my prime membership, then it's a win imo.

And Smed might be a good choice, I don't know. It's very hard to determine where the magic came from that created EQ. Brad was definitely a major part of that, but Smed ran the show. And a whole bunch of other very talented people were also important.

If he gets a good team together and they don't go overboard with the cheese factor, then it might work.

• 1Like

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
If this thing tanks due to budget issues, I'll be impressed but in the worst way possible.

• 1Solidarity

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Everquest 1 was not a failure. If there was a failure on his part, it's not by reigning in the devs. For years, I'd ask him why this or that dev could make a retarded decision. He'd tell me he was giving them leeway and didn't want to stem creativity. He's really not a bad guy.

So do you get celebrated at your work from something 18 years ago? He has a much longer history of failures than successes.