Smokers / Grills

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What is the fireboard exactly?
Fireboard is a fancy BBQ Thermometer that connects to wifi and lets you monitor your cook over the internet. A few years ago Yoder integrated the fireboard into their grills and used it for the controller which is pretty sweet.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

. i worked at kmart- this was ~1986ish - it still had the cafeteria- burgers fries, shakes, hot dogs etc,

This is a memory I hold dear, such an odd thing - but the 80's k-mart exp was an encapsulation of an era not long lived and now long past.

As for Grill / Griddle - whynotboth.gif - but I still side on Grill if only 1...sorry. I like grilled steak better than griddled steak - I know the technicalities are like "why" but, eh its a thing.

Also I did love my infared charbroil - my parents gave me their Weber 3 burner and its awesome, but the stupid wheels of all things are rusted out? really weber, cheap out on the wheels?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This thing is built like a god damn tank. Fireboard is pretty cool. Going on it's maiden brisket voyage next Saturday when I have some people over. I'd say the hopper is a little small but it doesn't really matter. They tried to upsell me $250 on a pellet storing drawer thing and I was like wut?

I like that nothing requires screws really. It's all just slide in slots and a thumb tightener.

PXL_20240309_222911891.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This thing is built like a god damn tank. Fireboard is pretty cool. Going on it's maiden brisket voyage next Saturday when I have some people over. I'd say the hopper is a little small but it doesn't really matter. They tried to upsell me $250 on a pellet storing drawer thing and I was like wut?

I like that nothing requires screws really. It's all just slide in slots and a thumb tightener.

View attachment 518958

enjoy, but you're a puss for not getting the comp cart - hope you don't plan on ever moving that pig.

grab grill grates and this:

and when the pain starts to chip, which it will, just start spraying oil the the exposed steel

always make me happy seeing someone go for a yoder

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
enjoy, but you're a puss for not getting the comp cart - hope you don't plan on ever moving that pig.

grab grill grates and this:

and when the pain starts to chip, which it will, just start spraying oil the the exposed steel

always make me happy seeing someone go for a yoder
They didn't have the comp cart there. Unlikely I have to move it very much if at all.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They tried to upsell me $250 on a pellet storing drawer thing and I was like wut?
i used a bucket and lid for my pellets, i use 1 for coals and i stack my smoking/wood vertically in a bucket

i use menards green buckets to not look so buckety

Kiki

Log Wizard
I just use a cheap rubbermade container with like 4 bags of pellets in there. That lasts me quite a while as long as I'm not doing brisket which takes like half a 40lb bag for 12 hours of smoking.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I bought one of those old-school metal trash cans with a lid for my pellets.

1710089889829.png

Also, I love my griddle. a lot. But to say it can replace a grill is crazy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My plastic tub I was using to store pellets died to the elements. I took off the lid and the plastic was brittle. So might just go the metal trashcan route.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking to buy a propane grill that I mostly just cook meals for a few people. I'd like something cheap that gets hot relatively quickly so I can grill some burgers / wings and be eating without much fuss.

I'm leaning toward whatever this is

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Megamaster-720-0988EA-Propane-Grill-Silver/dp/B087HNGXRB

but could be persuaded toward something more expensive if it's worth it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Cheap propane grills are pretty crappy. You will have wildly different temperatures on different parts of it. I have cooked on one a lot at my Mom's house and if you keep everything moving you can get shit cooked on it but I would never buy one.

The only sub-$500 grill I would recommend is the Weber kettle.

Weber Original Kettle 22-Inch Charcoal Grill​

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Cheap propane grills are pretty crappy. You will have wildly different temperatures on different parts of it. I have cooked on one a lot at my Mom's house and if you keep everything moving you can get shit cooked on it but I would never buy one.

The only sub-$500 grill I would recommend is the Weber kettle.

Weber Original Kettle 22-Inch Charcoal Grill

Yeah the temperature differentials motivated me to buy a Tru-Infrared which worked well, but required too much time to heat up for regular, small-batch usage.

What's an expensive propane grill that you'd recommend?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
The only ones I've used that I like are Webers. There's probably something in between that's decent but I don't have experience with them. Ditto for the more expensive stuff. Can't go wrong with a Weber but I don't know if the heat-up time would be better than the char-broil or not. I always turn mine on 10 minutes or so ahead of cooking.

Amazingribs.com has reviews on tons of grills and smokers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Yoder's Maiden Brisket Voyage begins at 1AM boys! It's soaking up the rub now.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
What high temp oil are you guys using on the grill grates after cleaning?

Siliconemelons

I bought one of those old-school metal trash cans with a lid for my pellets.

View attachment 519069

Also, I love my griddle. a lot. But to say it can replace a grill is crazy.

I am lazy and store my pellets outside with the smoker... in the blue lowes 5gal and lid- been A+ but Florida weather finally put a crack in the lid- and boom, wood dust :-( gatta get a new lid and just replace it every 2 years lol