So computer diagnostic question....

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I normally do PC repairs and such... but since the wife created a clusterfuck under my normal side business thing I'd literally just call it completely DOA and move on - and am doing such with building her replacement machine but I'm wondering if anyone can give me good diagnostic advice for SAFELY checking the parts on her machine.

The stupid woman was keeping an open soda can near the edge of the desk such that the cat managed to knock it perfectly onto the top 120mm fan providing great coverage over the internals of the machine.

I can tell absolutely that the Mobo, GPU (video card literally had like a caramel on the back of it from the spray + heat), and PSU are all DOA, but the rest of it I'm not sure how to trial and error safely (or even clean 100% fully since I'm sure any residue will corrode over time - I'd think alcohol, but would an alcohol bath be overkill because there's gotta be nooks and crannies I'd miss or bend pins getting into), etc - even stuff like the SSD I'm nervous about trying on my machine since I wonder if the contacts would have some of the residue and risk corroding the contacts in my machine.

Well, weird questions - I expect some weird answers: have at it, thanks.

(And note, already got her full replacement ordered - it's just what I can salvage for additions (i.e. extra hard drives/RAM) and backups in case of future hardware failures - doubt I'll resell any, and if I do it will be pennies on the dollar with the situation explained, not an asshole who would sell something from a situation like this without being clear about it)

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm amazed people put up with cats. They break so much shit. Good luck on your salvage operation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would clean all contacts with alcohol only if you suspect they were hit with soda. Most likely the parts you described as DOA are DOA. Stuff like RAM/SSDs are either going to work or they won't, they won't blow up your machine. It's basically trial and error at this point, but I would suspect the RAM and HDD's still would work unless they are covered in soda.

Vaclav

Kk so probably $300 salvageable and low risk to test... Weeee...

Vaclav

Noodle - You hit it out of the park (well, in confirming that my gut was right - that was my gut - but no real knowledge of such repairs behind it) - replaced just that parts list (+case because a soda'ed case is gross...) and she's up and running 100% fine.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a large portion of circuit boards (like MB, video cards) that are actually covered in a laminate. Having crap spilled all over it, generally will not hurt it. It's running electricity through shorts created by the conductive fluid spilled that will kill stuff. Anytime you have a spill like that, just unplug immediately. Attempting to turn this back on (even to test) while a mess is what will kill components. You can clean up soda fairly easy with Alcohol and a lot of time. Use Q-Tips to get between the contact points, etc. Only after all of this is cleaned up should you try and power it back on. There's a good chance the MB will auto power down if it senses the voltages are off (due to a short) and prevent real damage.

TLDR: Clean it all up with alcohol and a lot will probably work just fine.