So, you got some extra money laying around

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not a whole lot. But we've got more than enough in savings to put a substantial down payment on a new car and still have 6+ months of income saved. Plus, there's some wiggle room in the monthly budget. It's enough that we should really do something with it instead of just letting it sit around in the savings account.

What I can't figure out what's the best way to "spend" it. My student loans are paid off but my wife still has some, they're ~5% interest but we've been paying them off for ~3 years already. I know loans are interest front loaded, so I don't know if paying extra on loans we're already 30% into is worth it.

We have a mortgage, but it's only 3.75%. It's still in PMI range, but since both PMI and interest are tax deductible, I don't know if that's worth paying off early to get the PMI off.

No car loans, but both our cars are old(2000 and 2003), so we anticipate having to buy a new car relatively soon.

I have a 401k account with Fidelity, would it be best to just put $X/month into that account in a Vanguard index fund? Post tax(so I can pull it out if needed) or pre tax?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Have you tried talking to a Nigerian prince? I hear they know how you can double your investment many times over.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Not a whole lot. But we've got more than enough in savings to put a substantial down payment on a new car and still have 6+ months of income saved. Plus, there's some wiggle room in the monthly budget. It's enough that we should really do something with it instead of just letting it sit around in the savings account.

What I can't figure out what's the best way to "spend" it. My student loans are paid off but my wife still has some, they're ~5% interest but we've been paying them off for ~3 years already. I know loans are interest front loaded, so I don't know if paying extra on loans we're already 30% into is worth it.

We have a mortgage, but it's only 3.75%. It's still in PMI range, but since both PMI and interest are tax deductible, I don't know if that's worth paying off early to get the PMI off.

No car loans, but both our cars are old(2000 and 2003), so we anticipate having to buy a new car relatively soon.

I have a 401k account with Fidelity, would it be best to just put $X/month into that account in a Vanguard index fund? Post tax(so I can pull it out if needed) or pre tax?
This sounds kind of lame, but you need to do the math on everything. Put everything into an Excel spreadsheet and go from there.

Your wife's student loan gets a spreadsheet.

Your mortgage...the same.

Et cetera. Really, there's no way for me to give any kind of advice about your financial position unless I know all the details about it. You shouldn't want to give that out, so learning Excel is your best option, and your best friend.

Just a few things though.

If you must buy a new car, buy a popular model from Toyota or Honda. They have high resale values, virtually across all their offerings. Camry or Accord...VERY safe buys. Buy a low-midrange model, and pay exactly no more for a down payment than you have to if you have good credit. Even the base model Honda Accord is a nicely equipped hot rod these days. The 4-cylinder Accord is a FAST car, and even the base model comes with the stuff you want. AC. Electric this/that. You are not missing out on anything with a base model Accord. Same for the Camry. $23k and change. Your wife will be driving it, so she picks. Just make sure to avoid top option cars unless there's lots of cash off.

Beyond that, save so much that it makes your gums bleed. I'd be royally FUCKED as an early 40's guy if my early 30's self didn't learn to save.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
No, that's kinda the advice I'm looking for. For example, I know enough that paying off my house early is stupid because the interest rate is so low, probably below inflation. But my wife's are likely above inflation, so paying those off *might* make sense. I don't know how to calculate those though. I don't know enough about financial mathematics to take X years into a Y term loan at Z percent interest rate, here's your real current interest rate.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Camry is what I drive. It's a great car. I got the V6 fully loaded 2010 model because I bought it during that whole "OMG Toyota cars breaks don't work and gas pedals are haunted!" scare. Got one hell of a deal on that thing including 0% financing for 5 years and no money down. I recommend it. I do mostly highway driving and it's got 96k miles on it and has never had an issue. The thing even still has factory breaks and last oil change they were still at something silly like 50% wear. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
No, that's kinda the advice I'm looking for. For example, I know enough that paying off my house early is stupid because the interest rate is so low, probably below inflation. But my wife's are likely above inflation, so paying those off *might* make sense. I don't know how to calculate those though. I don't know enough about financial mathematics to take X years into a Y term loan at Z percent interest rate, here's your real current interest rate.
I would pay off 5% loans when you are just swimming in cash. If you really just want somewhere to park it, buy into some bond funds or other vehicles that are relatively liquid so you can access your cash if you need it. Vanguard is your friend.

But just keep piling it in there. Don't increase your spending to match your income. ALWAYS live below your means. I could literally stop working for 15 years right now and maintain my lifestyle based on investment income and savings. When that time extends to my life expectancy, then no more work.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I like the elegance of that outlook. I was just resolved to work until I couldn't, and if I could retire earlier, that would be a nice surprise.

I'm pretty certain I don't have 15 years worth of investments though. I suspect if I calculated it out, I might be somewhat saddened by the result.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Google is your friend. I'm not trying to be pithy or rude, but figuring out everything from the ground up really helps you to get a handle on your finances. It's all simple math, and learning how to use Excel will help you everywhere money is spent.

It's financial planning, and anyone can do it...no guesswork involved. Your best counsel is fact based upon math.

You are a smart guy. I've read your posts...you can easily wrap your mind around this in a few nights after work.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Camry is what I drive. It's a great car. I got the V6 fully loaded 2010 model because I bought it during that whole "OMG Toyota cars breaks don't work and gas pedals are haunted!" scare. Got one hell of a deal on that thing including 0% financing for 5 years and no money down. I recommend it. I do mostly highway driving and it's got 96k miles on it and has never had an issue. The thing even still has factory breaks and last oil change they were still at something silly like 50% wear. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned.
The Camry/Accord cars are just fantastic cars. Lots of value, even in the 24k base models. Base model with these cars leaves no one with a sensible mind wanting for more.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, I'm sure of that. I'm being a bit indirect here. The benefit of throwing out an easy question that I could directly solve myself is that others might recommend some solutions or advice that I might not have thought of. Already I have good long term advice and some good recommendations for cars, and I wasn't even looking for those.

I apologize if that's a bit misleading. But in some ways, this is the only way I can have an "organic" conversation about the topic. I'm certainly not going to my friends and family and professing my bank account overfloweth. Well, I could probably have this discussion with my parents, but that's it.

I was going to bake paying down loans into our monthly budget, but Cad made some good advice. I think instead I will wait until savings go above $X, make a single payment, and then exclude it from the budget.

I honestly probably would have never thought of that. Or maybe would have after having this "problem" a few more times.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
If your current cars are fine... you don't need to upgrade. Maintenance is almost always less than depreciation if you're concerned about saving money, unless it's a worse case scenario of new engine.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Relatively soon. I have a threshold on repairs dollars per month, and if it goes over that number for a given year, we'll start looking for a new car. Hasn't happened yet, but given the age of the cars, we wouldn't be surprised if it does in the near future. Hence why we might put more money aside for a car instead of using that to pay down student loans or invest.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
This sounds kind of lame, but you need to do the math on everything. Put everything into an Excel spreadsheet and go from there.

Your wife's student loan gets a spreadsheet.

Your mortgage...the same.

Et cetera. Really, there's no way for me to give any kind of advice about your financial position unless I know all the details about it. You shouldn't want to give that out, so learning Excel is your best option, and your best friend.

Just a few things though.

If you must buy a new car, buy a popular model from Toyota or Honda.
uhh don't buy a new car.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have little advice to offer other than, you're thinking tax deductions work in a way they don't (no worries, super damn common mistake), so this shouldn't even factor into your thoughts. Would you spend $100 to save $15? Of course not, you're still out $85. (Maybe you would if it's something you wanted to buy anyway, but do you WANT to buy PMI and interest? Thought not!)

I realize it's popular to not want to pay off your mortgage early because if you have a good rate you might be able to beat that rate on some other return, plus future payments will be cheap in today's dollars, but when you're paying PMI, I have to wonder how that changes the equation, and if getting to the 21% equity mark IS worth jumping ahead on.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have little advice to offer other than, you're thinking tax deductions work in a way they don't (no worries, super damn common mistake), so this shouldn't even factor into your thoughts. Would you spend $100 to save $15? Of course not, you're still out $85. (Maybe you would if it's something you wanted to buy anyway, but do you WANT to buy PMI and interest? Thought not!)

I realize it's popular to not want to pay off your mortgage early because if you have a good rate you might be able to beat that rate on some other return, plus future payments will be cheap in today's dollars, but when you're paying PMI, I have to wonder how that changes the equation, and if getting to the 21% equity mark IS worth jumping ahead on.
I agrew especially with getting the PMI off. pMi payments don't go towards principal so you won't get it back. Adding PMI onto your 3.75% loan makes it a much less attractive loan.

Khane

Deathwing, do you have an FHA loan? If so I think federal guidelines require you to have paid towards the mortgage for 5 years before you can get PMI removed.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Deathwing, do you have an FHA loan? If so I think federal guidelines require you to have paid towards the mortgage for 5 years before you can get PMI removed.
No, regular old loan. This is our first house, so we qualified, but the they had changed FHA to make it practically the same or worse. You should really only get FHA if you can't afford much of a down payment. We put 10% down.

Dollar inflation is above 3.75% or did I understand that wrong?

Google says it's 1.7%
Is it really that low? I'll admit I didn't look it up, I thought it a safe assumption that inflation would be higher than 3.75%.

Khane

Yea, the new FHA loans seem like a losing prospect unless you plan on buying a rental property and income generated > money lost on PMI for however long it takes to get it removed or you can refi out of it.