Soccer/Footy 2015-2016

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Another year, another thread. I highly recommend any board members or lurkers to pick an English Premier League team and give it a follow. NBCSN's coverage is amazing, you can watch every game for every team which isn't even possible in the UK laughably enough. It's a great way to spend your Saturday/Sunday mornings in preparation for that days CFB or NFL action and hey, you might actually like it! Plus who doesn't like a good excuse to drink at 5am in the morning? Works for me anyway
smile.png

Really looking for some ManC or Chelsea fans to join in as right now it's usually just ManU, LFC or Arse fans with Neki our lone Spuds supporter, god bless his soul, bickering back and forth. Granted you'd be supporting a bunch of plastic twats that bought their way to success, think of Chelsea for example like basically any Cleveland professional sports team and then one of the richest men in the world buys them and turns them overnight into winners through his personal fortune while also having mob ties. Not that I condone you do support them but it would spice things up about in here at least
smile.png

With that said we welcome supporters from all leagues whether it be the Bundesliga, La Liga, Seria A, MLS, whatever. Just like to watch good footy and talk about it when people are interested in it.

Last year I did a run down of the contenders for the EPL, I'm going to update that later today or tomorrow. I'm not big on talking about transfers but for those that want to, have at it.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
So the below list is something I wrote for last years thread to give potential new fans an idea of the teams that will be challenging for the top 4. I've updated it for this year without any transfer info as the window just opened and predicting how transfer will do is a crap shoot in my mind. I'm listing the teams in the order I predict them to finish:

Chelsea - Current title holders and expected to challenge on all fronts next year, will be the bookies favorite to repeat and win the league as well. Called the Blues, they had no history of winning anything until Roman Abramovich bought them and turned them into his personal play thing starting in 2002 with about $1bn spent to build a team of stars. Since then they've won the league three times and the champions league once. Managed by Jose Mourinho who is either a cult hero or villain depending on your perspective, the key to this year will probably be whether he branches out past his core and trusted group of 8 players as they seemed to limp to the finish line last year as those players got worn out. They're located in London and play at Stamford Bridge with their main rival being Arsenal and their best player is Eden Hazard.

Arsenal - Some are even calling them favorites for the title this year, though the bookies disagree. I'll go with that and say they'll finish 2nd again for now. Called the Gunners, have a pretty good history of winning throughout their existence and play a nice offensive brand of football though with 2 FA Cup title wins in a row. They're owned by Stan Kroenke, an American, who is never there as the manager Arsene Wenger basically runs the club. They've started spending big money after paying off their stadium loans on key acquisitions though whether that will expand to the rest of the roster is yet to be seen. Located in London they play at the Emirates which is a big plastic bowl and their main rival is Spurs. Best players are Santi Cazorla and Alexis Sanchez

Manchester United - Finished 4th last year and I'm predicting a move up to 3rd but with a big gulf between Chelsea and Arsenal and the rest of the top 4 challengers. Called the Red Devils, the most successful team in England, they're currently owned by the Glazer family who are Americans and own the Buccaneers and are not much loved by the fans. They've won the league 7 times since 2000 and are back in the Champions League after a year removed though they have to navigate a tricky playoff to get into the group stages. Their manager,Louis van Gaal, is a crazy Dutchman that has no problem showing his balls to his players and using big elbowing midfielders as the focal point of his attack. They're located in Manchester, play in the largest club stadium in England which is Old Trafford and their biggest rival is Liverpool. Their best player is Wayne Rooney and Phil Jones
wink.png

Liverpool - After a disappointing season with a 6th place finish I'm predicting 4th place on the hope Sturridge can play at least 25 games this year. They have no nickname, they are the 2nd most successful team in England behind Manchester United as they haven't won a league title since 1989. They're currently owned by Fenway Sports Group who own the Boston Red Sox. Currently managed by Brendan Rodgers who is the bookies favorite at the moment to be the first manager fired this year with Jurgen Klopp waiting in the wings. The team is located in Liverpool which is 20 miles from Manchester in the Northwest of England, they play at Anfied which currently being expanded and their main rival is Manchester United. Their best player is Daniel Sturridge when fit and Phillipe Coutinho

Manchester City - Finished in 3rd place last year, with an aging squad and a lame duck manager I'm going to predict they fall out of the top 4 this year as they have more question marks than any other team in my mind. Called the citizens, they were good in the 1960's, then sucked until bought by the Royal family of Abu Dhabi about 7 years ago. They're currently managed by Manuel Pelligrini who I think is actually a pretty good manager but is hamstrung by the demands of the owners who with FFP lifted will go back to their mega spending ways. They've won 2 out of the last 4 league titles and want to eventually have worldwide soccer dominance through their affiliated clubs NYCFC and some Australian shithole team. They're located in Manchester which is in Northwest England and play at the Etihad which they can't even fill on a regular basis but are talking about expanding the ground anyway. Their biggest rival is Manchester United and their best players are Sergio Aguero and David Silva.

Tottenham Hotspur - Finished 5th last year, I'm going to go for a 6th place finish this year unless Kane goes to another level. Called the Spurs, they haven't won a cup in 30 years or the league in almost 60 but you wouldn't know it by the way the club and fans act who think they are at the same level as the teams mentioned here when they aren't. The team is owned Joe Lewis who is a Brit billionaire and is run by Daniel Levy who is actually Doctor Evil in disguise. They are managed by Mauricio Pochettino who brings an all action pressing style though it's yet to be seen if this style can sustain itself over a full season. The team is located in London, they play at White Hart Lane and their biggest rival is Arsenal. Their best players are Harry Kane and Christian Eriksen.

Aside from that you have Southampton and West Ham that should be within the Europa League spots (5-7 league finish) and Everton could always rebound I guess
rolleyes.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Ya agree with most of that.

Chelski should remain clear favorites, regardless who they bring in or others bring in. Mourinho has a good squad and they know how to win.

Arsenal could finish anywhere from 1-5 imo depending on who they bring in. Cech was a quality signing and will hopefully help organize the defense - in his day, he was world class I just hope he can find some form this season. Team needs a DM, and a good #9 to properly challenge though. I've got a suspicion that we'll end up with Cech and one other surprise signing, and it won't be enough. We'll see though.

City are a year older and they're looking nailed on to sign Sterling for $50m+. I love Sterlings game and think he could become world class - but if he's City's marquee signing, I won't be much concerned. Think they have the 3rd best squad but I agree - they could fall out.

Manc - Look set to have a big summer, but I'm secretly hoping (well not so secretly) that Ramos, Muller, etc take them for a ride ala Cesc and they end up with Harry Kane. Doubt it though - money talks and few clubs can throw the cash around like yernited. They should be better next year.

LFC - made some surprisingly good signings so far - very un-Liverpool-like. If they can bed in well and gel with the team early they could finish top 4, certainly. Can't afford a bad start to the season though as the other teams are strong enough to go out of sight should that happen.

Long story short, it should be a great season in England - As for other leagues, think the financial clout of the EPL is going to start bearing some fruit. Shaqiri potentially ending up at Stoke alongside Bojan is interesting. Serie A seems like it is destined to become an also ran - with the small tv deals, small advertising/marketing potential etc it seems like they are so far behind Spain, England, Bayern globally that its going to be impossible to make up the difference. Juve being in the CL final last month notwithstanding. I'm pumped, weekends in the summer fucking suck without 2 days full of football - now Arsenal just need to sign Benzema, Reus, Javi Martinez etc and I'll be good to go!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
good lord, someone change the word in the title from footy to football or I'm gonna get triggered

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
Brando City finished 2nd last season not 3rd. Arsenal were 3rd.

From my point of view so far, Chelsea is still the team to beat with Arsenal being 2nd. I think Cech will have a massive improvement as long as he can put his love of Chelsea behind. Seeing as he was there for a decade and won so many trophies.

As for Arsenal, I am really really optimistic about the new season. I don't see us getting a world class #9 like some fans are asking for. At least not one that is better then Giroud. Don't think there are really any available, unless you are willing to spend insane amounts which Wenger will most likely not. I think the only place we really need to strengthen is a DM cause Coq can not play every game and Flamini/Arteta are past their prime.

I am a bit worried about Mertesacker as well. Beginning of last season he really stunk it up albeit because of the WC. I am not sure how many more seasons he has in him.

PKS

N00b
What's it going to take for folks to consider Utd a title contender? Pretty sure I got laughed at last season for saying Utd would finish 4th and above LFC. Even half way through people still thought it was crazy!

Anyway, too early give a good prediction. Couple of transfers in progress at the moment (Nani out, RvP out? Darmian in) for a start.

Darmian unexpected good bit of business (assuming this isn't a joke.)

Where's Schneiderlin going to end up? He's good enough to play at a top club I think.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
What makes you think they should be considered title contenders? Darmian plays at Torino currently, why do you think he'll be good for a full season in the EPL? I'm not going to say I know as you'd have bet Di Maria would have been excellent last year and he was terrible, transfers are a fickle thing.

PKS

N00b
I don't think I could seriously admit they would be title contenders if they were to carry on from where they left off last season, even though they had a great run against the top teams during the last few months. Those kind of games against good teams are the ones where the opponents tried to press United which worked great for Utd's game plan, and of course no one knew how to deal with the Fellaini/Young/Blind combo on the left. Teams already started to deal with them, and, Utd still have yet to prove they can consistently win away from home against lower to mid club teams.

The latter point was the most obnoxious from last season, teams who played deep and without much press. Got to be able to score versus them. RVP & Falcao are gone now so it's up to some fucker to step in and wreck these teams.

Basically, bit more work to be done on the transfers. Striker, still love a DM (shit goes wrong when Carrick gets injured), and wouldn't say no to a top defender. Best strikers all seem taken and content with where they are at. Is Chicarito the fail safe this window?

Gah I can't fucking wait! We need a pre-season calender. Often a few decent show matches or cups going down.
18-JulClub America04:10

22-JulSan Jose Earthquakes04:10

25-JulFC Barcelona21:10

30-JulParis Saint-Germain02:10

GMT.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Hope City hurries up and offers 50m for Sterling before they realise how much of a waste of money it is and how toxic it will be having him in the squad.

Div

Silver Knight of the Realm
For United to be title contenders a lot would need to change. Especially if Da Gea goes to Madrid. His heroics alone I think secured 4th spot for you guys. What's up with that anyways .. it seemed inevitable one point but I haven't heard much lately.

Top class striker, CB, GK and Di Maria has to play out of his skin and I think then ManU would be in the mix.

PKS

N00b
De Gea & his agent seem to be professional in this matter, which makes a change although its likely Mendes might have something sneaky up his sleeve. It's a good thing for Utd that they've keep a lid on it, even if it's just a long winded way to get a bigger salary bump or bigger transfer fee. Still, if all goes pear shaped it's not as if Valdes is the worst keeper to have as a backup... Pretty fucking good, I expect.

PKS

N00b
Fucking good day to wake up and smell the air. Schweinsteiger? Oh hell yes. Please be true. This could go a long way.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
His body has basically broken down on him, there's a reason Bayern are pushing him out the door and it's 36m pounds including wages and fees for years 31-33. Guess we'll see.

darkseid_sl

shitlord
Horse shit. He's a proven winner and definitely has some good years in him. Schneiderlin is probably also gonna get bought, so that will have the midfield sorted for the a good while.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Where did I say he wasn't a proven winner? He hasn't played a full season in 3 years now, that's the only point I'm making.

PKS

N00b
It's good for United and it's good for Bayern.

Bayern will need to deal with life without Shweinsteiger and it's probably better to do it now than in 2017. They have the players to cope without him already.

Whereas United need high quality depth in midfield right now. If he can play a full season and be the main man, absolutely wonderful. If not, no biggie. Just less chance of having to field people like Rooney out of position in the middle when the shit hits the fan.