SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
You should reach out to Scott, he's very approachable. Never tried to communicate with Holly.

Side question, and feel free to ignore as its personal, but what district/county in KY do you teach in? I'm kind of shocked to see that someone is teaching game design in the state.

It's no problem... with Google, it's hard for things to be too personal but I appreciate the consideration. I teach at a high performing district in Pikeville, KY (Pikeville Independent) and work with an organization in Lexington, KY as well (KySTE). We actually have a very strong presence in Kentucky in Game Design. Unity started out with three districts primarily and then Unity allowed us to go to conferences and spread the good news of Game Design. There are now several districts teaching Game Design and 2-3 programs at major Universities starting up such as Eastern Kentucky University (EKU).

Following one of my speaking engagements, a local media outlet posted an article with some of my student's work and how we are using Unity. You can read more about it here: Creating Industry Standard Games in the Classroom with Unity 5 - The Holler

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Being in software for 5 years I've ran into some of these guys like Elidroth is talking about and it always disappointed me. Every now and again you would go to a conference, vendor hall, gathering, whatever, and run into these guys thinking it was going to be the coolest thing ever but they were real turds. It doesn't surprise me when Elidroth speaks of guys using their power and position to take dumps on people's ideas, force dating situations, etc. after meeting some of them. However, I met some super people back when Diablo was just breaking through and early MMO's. It really came later, maybe 2-4 years after EQ released that a lot of these people came into power and really rained on your parade. Given I was an in-house developer for a financial institution, I loved gaming and just wanted to talk tech and geek out with some of these guys. For whatever reason, you give some people titles in the gaming circles and they really believe they're gods. I'm now a half-time director of technology at a school district and half-time game design teacher so i'm reaching out more and more to game studios to get guest speakers and resources for my classes. I have to say, Unity has really been the coolest company and connected me with really awesome people. They outfitted my entire school, and other surrounding schools, with Unity licenses at no cost, and we have a sister district at EA as we speak so i'm curious to see how those stories turn out. Anyway, my job today has brought me full circle and it's been really difficult to find people who will just talk to you like an equal or at least even fake it as a professional courtesy. Console people have been the best honestly. We had good experiences working with the division of EA that works with Simcity, Microsoft (Minecraft division), and several smaller, indie studios.

I attempted to reach out to some MMO people to see if I can get some Skype sessions with my classes but it hasn't really worked out just yet. I will say this, Holly and Hartsman are really professional and kind in their communications but I never had the nerve to just out right ask them if they had anyone that would do a little PR call for a district in Kentucky. lol

Scott is a GREAT guy.. Holly is awesome too, but I suspect now might not be the time for her to be talking much. She's got her hands full with things at Daybreak. Talking with people is one of the things I loved most about the Fan Faire stuff. Yeah we got to show off what we'd been working on, but the best parts were talking to players who were super passionate about what you were doing. Often times that meant telling them their ideas wouldn't work, but done the right way, where you actually explain WHY their ideas are feasible helped open their eyes to things and made communication with players that much better. I agree it's much to easy to just call people idiots and move on, but that wasn't my style. I actually did a presentation for my daughter's school a long long time ago, and it was crazy cool..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
What was that chick's name with the purple hair that was always hosting shit for the fan faire? Margaret Krohn

Nvm my rose tinted glasses were vastly off, i thought she was cute :(

Eonan

Doer of Things
That's great to hear
It's no problem... with Google, it's hard for things to be too personal but I appreciate the consideration. I teach at a high performing district in Pikeville, KY (Pikeville Independent) and work with an organization in Lexington, KY as well (KySTE). We actually have a very strong presence in Kentucky in Game Design. Unity started out with three districts primarily and then Unity allowed us to go to conferences and spread the good news of Game Design. There are now several districts teaching Game Design and 2-3 programs at major Universities starting up such as Eastern Kentucky University (EKU).

Following one of my speaking engagements, a local media outlet posted an article with some of my student's work and how we are using Unity. You can read more about it here: Creating Industry Standard Games in the Classroom with Unity 5 - The Holler
That's cool stuff man, glad to see the push to get more nerds into the practical aspects of STEM.

• 1Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
What was that chick's name with the purple hair that was always hosting shit for the fan faire? Margaret Krohn

Maggie was very cute.. She wasn't a designer though, no matter how much she claimed to be. She was a Planetside player who got put on the design team because she was a cute gamer chick, and Smed wanted to appeal to that audience. She was a rabid self-promoter, she was good at it, and she had a great audience for it.. nerdy gamer boys who've never touched a woman before. The daily twitter selfies asking people if they thought she was cute was sickening, but predictable. Once people realized she had no design skills, they moved her over to the PR side of things, and she did pretty well there. Then she bailed to go work for Twitch or something. She works for NC Soft now I think doing their media/online content stuff.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Again, doing all of the saving and reloading of script variables on the server or invisible NPC script controller (remember the invis NPCs in ToV? Those were script controllers). Yeah, it was janky as fuck, but it worked.

Was "pain and suffering" an early version of that?

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
No, Pain and Suffering if I remember right, was just a thing added to the damage messaging if the system couldn't find an NPC or PC to attribute the damage origination, like if you got hit by a script that had no actual NPC in the game, then Pain and Suffering hit you for <X> damage.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

this woman?

350px-MargaretKrohn.jpg

dude she's gorgeous

• 1Picard

nectar

Golden Knight of the Realm
Completely average to below average. The girl you’d pass over at the bar hoping for a better girl to take home.
did you see her wrinkly elbows YUCK absolutely disgusting 0/10 would not bang #eliottrodger

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I realize I'll probably never work in the industry again because of posts like this.. but I'm OK with that. There are some VERY talented people that got screwed over by con artists in management. Smed, for all the shit he takes from you guys, is a great boss to work for, and truly loves games. He unfortunately got conned by these shitbags like most of the rest of us.. Short version is I think you guys are too hard on him. Everyone wants that manager that lets you do your thing and isn't a micromanager. Smed is that guy. If he's guilty of anything it's giving people too much rope to hang themselves.
I think you probably know my views on some of the developers and stuff that worked on EQ2. I feel like I was pretty open with my opinions on some people just doing a poor job and some questionable design choices.

I don't really blame Smed for design choices. However, I do think it's his fault that as the boss he didn't know enough about what was going on and how things worked to know when he was getting fed a line of shit. That he enabled that to happen is his own fault. I've had some really great nice bosses, that sucked as a boss. I've also had some dicks that I'd work for any day

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I met her on several occasions and she was always super nice.
That was my experience with her as well. I'm of the opinion that she's nothing special looks wise though, just an average chick that stands out a little because she does thing like dye her hair.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
E Elidroth , I just want to say thanks for helping make my favorite game ever.

No other game has had me coming back for more after almost 20 years, or had me invest so much time and effort into. There's magic in this game that no other has been able to duplicate.

• 1Solidarity

Needless

Toe Sucker
She's pretty average, but i guess if you're throwing her against that of the EQ community she's probably a babe lol

I'd still lick her toes though, lets be real

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Let's be real, most gamers wouldn't even have the courage to hail her and learn her trigger text.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That was my experience with her as well. I'm of the opinion that she's nothing special looks wise though, just an average chick that stands out a little because she does thing like dye her hair.

taking care of your appearance is one of the most important parts of being attractive. but yeah, i don't expect a bunch of neckbeards to understand that. ;)