SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Vitality

HUSTLE
EQN is 6 years in the making without a single substantial progress update from Georgeson aside from SOE Lives Tempest and Cleric reveal.

Don't forget the fact that they're developing EQN to be portable to consoles either. (Announced Jan 2014)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah its time to do away with the old guard thats been sucking SoE dry for the last 10 yrs. Fuck those old crows. Probably pulling down major bank and nothing to show for it other than some third rate MMOs. I cant believe they are allowed to exist at that company for so long. Japanese top management must of been really into the loyalty and honor bullshit, because in any other company, after failing hard for 10+ yrs, people would stat wanting blood. I mean seriously, EQ expansions? FAIL, EQ2? FAIL, Planetside 1 and 2? FAIL, Vanguard? FAIL, Matrix online? FAIL! And whatever else no name bullshit they helped fund or buy, all fucking FAIL, FAIL, FAIL. Al mediocre, lackluster, barely scraping by, bullshit.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Fail by what measure? Allegedly many of those products made money. And comparing the profitability to the rest of the game development scene is where you show success/fail beyond whether they're in the black as a division of your company. Film studios operate with some similarities, in that a few products make bank and the rest either scrape by or fail commercially.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I agree with your post for the most part, but I think Planetside / PS2 was pretty unique and successful in the scheme of things. What other game has battles on that scale? Nothing remotely close. Despite that, I agree things could have been done better. SoE's complete and utter lack of any kind of marketing / QA is just synonymous with the company.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Film studios also ride the tails of IP's into the dirt to squeeze every last ounce of cash out of it. IE: The Hobbit and Star Wars movies being failures in the eyes of fans of the IP but successes at the box office for selling tickets.

Mkop's idea of a failure is the company riding the IP into the sunset on the backs of it's diehard fans.

Which is exactly what Georgeson is doing. He cut off his pony tail and pinned it on the backside of every donkey buying into landmark.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Fail by what measure? Allegedly many of those products made money. And comparing the profitability to the rest of the game development scene is where you show success/fail beyond whether they're in the black as a division of your company. Film studios operate with some similarities, in that a few products make bank and the rest either scrape by or fail commercially.
Problem is you cannot gauge success / fail until the next sequel comes out to really see the effect it had with the general public over the IP itself if you judge it from a pure monetary stand point. Sure, a game can make money. It may be in the black. That doesn't mean it's a success. SOE and a lot of other game companies have very short vision and a complete unawareness of opportunity cost. Where commercial success and a fun game go hand in hand.

I judge a game by if it was fun/still is fun, and still held highly regarded after to build off the IP. In the case with SOE, all their games fall flat or get wrecked in a matter of a year or less. They cannot manage because their managers are inept. They cannot polish because they are always too far behind as a result of the poor management, and they cannot create because of top down creative stifling management.

Throw someone like Shane Dabiri into EQ Next and you not only have a game launched by now, SOE would have saved about $40 million in R&D and it would be creative and fresh.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Let's be fair was Kostar probably is.... He's a name just to generate a little bit of excitement and give street cred to Crowfall. If you look at the mini-bios of all those guys, they don't look the guys that do much outside what they want. Kostar is a "name" and tied to some big IP's. There may be some guys with some friendly ties to Kostar from SWG but all-in-all I doubt he was brought in for much more than to demonstrate the project is doing something.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
EQN is 6 years in the making without a single substantial progress update from Georgeson aside from SOE Lives Tempest and Cleric reveal.

Don't forget the fact that they're developing EQN to be portable to consoles either. (Announced Jan 2014)
I think this is unfair when you look at landmark as a spin off of eqn, its not like we have nothing and no idea what the game will be. We have a pretty damn good idea of alot of it. Its probably going slower than it should but its not vapor.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I think this is unfair when you look at landmark as a spin off of eqn, its not like we have nothing and no idea what the game will be. We have a pretty damn good idea of alot of it. Its probably going slower than it should but its not vapor.
EQN and EQL are completely seperate games and teams. Ask any of the die hard fans on these boards. "They're only pulling over and testing code between the two platforms"

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQN and EQL are completely seperate games and teams. Ask any of the die hard fans on these boards. "They're only pulling over and testing code between the two platforms"
Not really. EQL tech will be ported into EQN. Who knows what the extent will be.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Why Daybreak anyway? What does that mean? Makes me think of their zombie game. Is that the point?

Vitality

HUSTLE
Not really. EQL tech will be ported into EQN. Who knows what the extent will be.
My point exactly, who fucking knows what they're doing, I have a hard time even thinking they do at this point.

Keep your wallet away from this one.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My point exactly, who fucking knows what they're doing, I have a hard time even thinking they do at this point.

Keep your wallet away from this one.
The issue with Eql And EQN is it's not aimed at the original player base. Neither of them. it's unfortunate really. Being open minded is only going to take a player so far. Hopefully they manage to create a game that can draw people in long term. The tech is neat, they just need to not overdo it. Use it to build an awesome crafting experience that supports a vibrant economy and put the focus on challenge and adventure.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The issue with Eql And EQN is it's not aimed at the original player base. Neither of them. it's unfortunate really. Being open minded is only going to take a player so far. Hopefully they manage to create a game that can draw people in long term. The tech is neat, they just need to not overdo it. Use it to build an awesome crafting experience that supports a vibrant economy and put the focus on challenge and adventure.
I had a pretty snarky comment to this but the database error ate it.

Instead I'll sum it up and say again that this game is being developed to release on consoles and the combat/controls/ui and similarly graphics, gear, crafting and player interaction will be equally marginalized to accomodate the port.

The released look at gear we had at SOE live is a marginal tick up from what league of legends offers during one of it's matches. With baseline marginalized ability augments and nothing else. Crafting will suffer because of it.

Vitality

HUSTLE
As always I'll be here with a bucket to collect the tears of those that decide to open their wallet to this one.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Outside of simplified controls what does being a console game even mean these days. Console games have just as much communication as pure pc games. If you ask me I will take a console port that keeps ability count reasonable and graphics stylistic over an abortion like eq2 with ten thousand abilities and graphics no one can run any day of the week.

Other than prick elitist attitudes of guys who played pc games where you sat around and typed to each other two decades ago what have consoles done lately that is so much worse than PCs?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I've interviewed game devs on and off camera before, in person, in gchat, on skype etc. They all stick to the party line, you don't get shit out of them. Or you get deflections or "that doesn't exist" or if they have egos like Mark Jacobs they just ignore you and think they're better than you.

You wouldn't get far asking cynical questions. Game developers think they are better than they are. Ut describes them perfectly for the most part.

And the good game devs usually just keep their head down and do their jobs. They more often than not don't get put in charge to make real decisions. Artists, coders, devs or whatnot just want to create shit and aren't usually the type of person that grows into a decision making position, the type of position you actually want to interview anyway. That just goes back to industry incest and how devs fail all over the place with different games.

The best interview I did was on a media conference call with Scott Hartsman and asked him why Hammerfall's raid design was like a giant filthy asshole. He agreed with me and said it sucked and they will never do it again. Fair response.
This so much. Many people who are in 'the industry' have jobs to hold up and wouldn't risk those jobs, so they stonewall interviewers.
It's akin to that part of 'The Interview' where James Franco finds out he is going to interview Kim Jong-un and Kim Jong-un prepares the questions ahead of time for him.

Ut sounds like the kind of guy that would ask the questions that game developers would be afraid of answering... and that's not a bad thing. The games industry has been operating too long without a voice for the players - because the developers and businessmen behind the games themselves are basically running the show and not letting player feedback change the course of the game.
Not that all players have the best ideas or anything (they don't) but most people in the MMO business are so self-absorbed and/or afraid of losing their job that they either stick to their guns and refuse to innovate, or they stay in their lane and are afraid to speak out against their superiors. 'Industry' Game devs are shoved into making whatever they can do to milk the game as much as possible, before it dies off, while the company behind the game is either left in financial ruin. Or the game has made enough money and enough players have quit that it's safe to shut it down. Or it goes 'free to play' as a gimmick to salvage what the publisher/developer can.

The lack of people questioning these game developers and especially the businessmen behind them, and having no real outlet to do so is a bit disturbing. I'd support a news site that asks the hard questions just because no one else is doing it. A Howard Stern version of Massively, so to speak.

nirrtix VS secrets cage fight
only if it's naked and mud wrestling is involved. would also need pics of nirrtix before i agreed to this.

Bruman

Golden Squire
So I'm not alone in feeling that canceling SOE Live was less about "oh we just had the buyout and need to save money and focus on the game" and more "we don't have shit to show", am I?

I mean, I'm sure the answer is not one single thing (it never is), but I feel it is much more of the later. I think we were all expecting a lot more of EQ:N last year, and it'd probably be a repeat performance if they had done it again this year.