SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Jeff got all the credit for the idea. Weird seeing someone pushed out on their own idea
Zehn Vhex, Grey, myself and a few others discussed almost (but not quite) everything (weapons giving abilities the only thing we missed) that went into the design document for EQNext in an FoHguild.org circlejerk thread circa 2007 or so and then had almost the same conversation again after Minecraft starting getting big but with more emphasis on destructibility in 2009.

We even used the same terminology Butler used at the SOE EQNext reveal (Magic the Gathering CCG mechanics/Minecraft destructibility).

However, some of us realized the problems with moving away from a hard trinity: you end up with a non-MMO MMO game (e.g. DCUO but worse) which Butler never did.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
They've been talking about EQN for years man. Eql being a prerequisite to EQN has not sped up the release of EQN. Maybe long term it might help add to the game but they could have just as easily switched order and built us a game first instead of going the route they did. You need people actually playing your game to help make actual content for your other game. Shits been in alpha forever. It very much has had the dev time as a regular mmo. Why is their flagship game waiting on a shelf for something that might not work? Just doesn't seem right. Seems scatterbrained to me but maybe I'm just being selfish. We've always been told we can't get EQN till Eql is ready, so in my eyes Eql is in the way and Its less in demand than EQN atm.
EQL has far more cross-platform potential than EQN ever could.

Flc_sl

shitlord
They've been talking about EQN for years man. Eql being a prerequisite to EQN has not sped up the release of EQN. Maybe long term it might help add to the game but they could have just as easily switched order and built us a game first instead of going the route they did. You need people actually playing your game to help make actual content for your other game. Shits been in alpha forever. It very much has had the dev time as a regular mmo. Why is their flagship game waiting on a shelf for something that might not work? Just doesn't seem right. Seems scatterbrained to me but maybe I'm just being selfish. We've always been told we can't get EQN till Eql is ready, so in my eyes Eql is in the way and Its less in demand than EQN atm.
I still just don't see it, Convo. Here's a list of all the things for EQN that they've been working on that's been developed through Landmark:

Character movement ("heroic" movement.)
Voxel-based terrain generator. Merging of VoxelFarm and ForgeLight and resolution of technical issues.
Props and voxel developer tools for world creation (released in Landmark as player tools.)
Vertical tiers/caves.
Combat and physics.
Backend programming of crafting systems.
Music.
Sound effects.
Biome art design for EQN zones.
Water.
Server architecture and performance.

All of that has made up the vast, vast majority of Landmark's development thus far and every single piece would have been developed in a black box for EQN - likely in a similar time frame to what it would have taken had Landmark never existed.

If anything, the reason EQN is taking so long is because there are very, very complex systems at place - a voxel engine that still looks presentable, the most dynamic AI ever in an online game (which is still being developed very slowly while they're working on Landmark and without which EQN can't exist.)

Could they have gotten EQN out faster? Sure. But it would have had none of the revolutionary features that make up the core of the game and frankly have gotten people excited about it. EQIII would have been out already - and it would have had comfortable company next to WildStar and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
EQL has far more cross-platform potential than EQN ever could.
Possibly, that's not really my point. They need to stop waiting on it to come together and move on with EQN. Eql can still exist but JFc get on EQN already.

EQN had a dev team that literally stopped working bc they were waiting to see what would happen with Eql. I hate how they are tied together this way. Give me the mmo already lol

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Damn. I find it kind of crazy how little we've really seen of EverQuest Next in 2~ years. I supposed that's because it's development is really only as far as Landmark's.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ut needs to help tyen secure the rights to EQbrowser iPhone mobile app.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
They've been saying for a while now that we wouldn't be hearing much about EQN until after Landmark hit open beta.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I still just don't see it, Convo. Here's a list of all the things for EQN that they've been working on that's been developed through Landmark:

Character movement ("heroic" movement.)
Voxel-based terrain generator. Merging of VoxelFarm and ForgeLight and resolution of technical issues.
Props and voxel developer tools for world creation (released in Landmark as player tools.)
Vertical tiers/caves.
Combat and physics.
Backend programming of crafting systems.
Music.
Sound effects.
Biome art design for EQN zones.
Water.
Server architecture and performance.

All of that has made up the vast, vast majority of Landmark's development thus far and every single piece would have been developed in a black box for EQN - likely in a similar time frame to what it would have taken had Landmark never existed.

If anything, the reason EQN is taking so long is because there are very, very complex systems at place - a voxel engine that still looks presentable, the most dynamic AI ever in an online game (which is still being developed very slowly while they're working on Landmark and without which EQN can't exist.)

Could they have gotten EQN out faster? Sure. But it would have had none of the revolutionary features that make up the core of the game and frankly have gotten people excited about it. EQIII would have been out already - and it would have had comfortable company next to WildStar and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Eq3 was preferred by plenty of people here. Tad touched on why. I just don't see Eql shaping EQN in any significant way at this point. All those things could have been done just Working on EQN without ever having Eql. Just like any other mmo being built. Long term, I see the value in Eql. I just don't see it being so essential to the release of EQN. Certainly not now when they are laying people off

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ut needs to help tyen secure the rights to EQbrowser iPhone mobile app.
Goddamn kids nowadays don't know how bad we had it. They'll be able to camp mobs while out and about.

Back in my day, I had to fake sick from school for 3 days to watch for a Trakanon spawn.

Flc_sl

shitlord
All those things could have been done just Working on EQN without ever having Eql. Just like any other mmo being built. Long term, I see the value in Eql. I just don't see it being so essential to the release of EQN. Certainly not now when they are laying people off
All I'm saying here, Convo, is that I don't think the presence of Landmark has substantially impacted the speed of development of EQN given the background systems needing development are the same in each.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All I'm saying here, Convo, is that I don't think the presence of Landmark has substantially impacted the speed of development of EQN given the background systems needing development are the same in each.
I gotcha. Im not trying to be dense. I'm just saying that Eql is really meant to be a stand alone project long term and not everything being developed for it will be used in EQN. Half the people playing it won't even care about EQN heh. I understand the systems for EQN needed to be tested anyway, but who knows what non EQN hurdles had to take place in landmark. That and always being told Eql needed to be ready before they would finish EQN. I'm guessing so they could get players involved with their builds. Although cool, again, feels like it's just holding EQN up. I just wanted a full time dedicated dev team on EQN the whole time, but that wasn't the case.

I'm totally willing to admit I'm wrong if an EQN dev wants to pm me and enlighten me.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Has all the time and effort put into making building tools and PlayerStudio been worth it? Or are they just a gimmick?

I'll admit that I've actually been impressed by a few player creations I've seen from Landmark...but again, is the possible inclusion of the some player made creations worth putting so much focus on that aspect of the game?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I know I liked the player studio stuff in EQ1. I doubt that's remotely relevant to EQN though.