SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Oldbased

> Than U
If I was Daybreak I would have upper management opiate parties, then a pizza parking lot layoff party then sell it to... shit.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
PS2 Producer doing an AMA right now on Reddit, Says Planetside was one of the main reasons they got bought out. Wonder what that means for EQ.

The last couple weeks were tough, because I knew I was leaving. Keeping up a good front for folks was hard, I fucking love my team.
CN 100% cares about PS2. They just spent a shit ton of money for it, nothing says more than that about their interest level. They said PS2 was one of the main reasons they were interested in acquiring SOE.
AMA: David Carey, former PS2 Producer : Planetside

Bruman

Golden Squire

Vitality

HUSTLE
Not to drag up the Eldiroth thing again, but I'm totally going to do it anyways, according to David:

Not quite "just a name change".
Maybe his boss smokescreened him? Wouldn't surpise me with the level of disconnect in the management being reported.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well, thats great to hear that one of the big intrests of buying SoE was Planetside 2 and that the playstation 4 and xbone hopefully in the future thing is still happening. Its a great game and the console dudes should have the pleasure to finally play it. Its a one of a kind game.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Not to drag up the Eldiroth thing again, but I'm totally going to do it anyways, according to David:

Not quite "just a name change".
And then this...

Did everyone who got laid off know for the last couple weeks like you did?

[?]dcareySOE: no
Love it.

So in typical SOE fashion, no one knows what the hell is going on. It's amazing this company managed to ship fucking anything at all.

Oldbased

> Than U
Maybe his boss smokescreened him? Wouldn't surpise me with the level of disconnect in the management being reported.
Would assume only the top people knew who was going. Probably around half I assume? Seems it caught a few by surprise.
Still don't get why so many here think it means the end of the company though or that it was even a surprise.
SoE hasnt been profitable in awhile and they had all sorts of bloated high paying jobs that did basically nothing.

Not saying the people were useless or deserve to be laid off, that sucks, but how many creative/technical/community designers does someone need?
If it was pulling WoW's numbers years ago? Sure, hire people to do nothing but dive into money piles all day, but when you are losing money? Someone has to go.

Oldbased

> Than U
Yes. They were.
Possibly and possibly. I do not know them outside the top 3 as I stated before I really hadn't been following anything from SoE except H1Z1. Never played PS/PS2 and last time I touched EQ anything was almost a decade ago.
I picked well in the game lottery as it seems H1Z1 will get even more funding/support now than prior to the layoffs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
And then this...

Love it.

So in typical SOE fashion, no one knows what the hell is going on. It's amazing this company managed to ship fucking anything at all.
LOL you dont tell your employees, "Hey youre about to be laid off in a week, start packing your shit" I bet 1/2 their games would not run after they did this. This is why you let them know the day of and not sooner. There is a lot of bitter people in this world that would genuinely fuck up some shit left to their own devices knowing this ahead of time.

Management knew ahead of time, but employees did not.

When they lay people off im my company they immediately walk them out, and dont even let them collect their shit. They can come back a day later and collect it from HR.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What makes people think they knew who they were letting go weeks ago?

They may have only decided who was and wasn't going in the past few days.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YOu bet your ass management decided all that ahead of time. If its weeks or days, who knows and who cares.
Also because it was mentioned by that PS2 dude RMA.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
LOL you dont tell your employees, "Hey youre about to be laid off in a week, start packing your shit" I bet 1/2 their games would not run after they did this. This is why you let them know the day of and not sooner. There is a lot of bitter people in this world that would genuinely fuck up some shit left to their own devices knowing this ahead of time.
This.

Anyone who has ever managed people for awhile, or been in business setting has seen people do dumbass stuff when they leave, even at the risk of criminal charges. Of course, this decreases if they have another job lined up. If you kick them to the curb, you have to be willing to expect anything.

Naj_sl

shitlord
Was Higby the root cause of Planetside Next being canned and PS2 being created instead? I don't remember him being around back in the PS1 days.

I always wish they had stuck with their Tribes inspired gameplay rather than switching over to Battlefield based gameplay. A game series so shallow that requires frequent sequels to retain interest never felt like the best base to design a MMO around.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Actually the depth of PS2 is the nightly battles there. Every day its something different. But ultimately its either something you like or you dont.