SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I don't even remember anything after 10pm central on Saturday
smile.png
So I have wiped any game I may have played with you from my fragile little mind.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So you two get drunk on Saturdays, play with each other and record it on video. Ok.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
No it wouldn't have been. Until the EoF expansion even had they had a combat system similar to EQ (Which sounds really ridiculous since EQ's combat sstem was outdated by this time) it was still an uninspired world with itemization and gear that didn't mean anything, group XP penalties, horrible animations, clunky UI, horrible engine optimization, and a large empty world with pluck off packs of mobs doing nothing but standing there lifeless - along with awful art for player characters and NPC's alike and a randomly generated overlands given zone names without any hand crafting aside from randomly placed POI's which also held no bearing on the lore of the game.

At least EoF fixed this and implemented other 1-20 starting zones. But then after that, one is still plunked down into the 20+ game where the main problems with the game were.

Skill bloat was about 3% of the game's issues.
I actually do not agree with a lot of this.... I loved the way EQII looked for the most part. Some of the character graphics and animations were lacking but the world was much more to my preference than WoW. I just thought WoW had much better raids than EQII. I liked the UI, their housing and AH is the best out there. I didn't mind their crafting and found myself buying a lot of player made items over the years I played which is more than I can say for a lot of other games.

Overall, EQII had little chance out of the gate. EQ was a frustration for most at that point in time and when EQII came out it was a mess. Blizzard brought WoW and it was pretty solid and something different. I think everyone needed that.. I think if EQII would have been in the state it was in during the peak of the Hartsman era, think would have been slightly different. Bottom line though, EQ was EQII's worst enemy and then it was poorly delivered just to finish off whatever chance it had...

All that being said, that's why I think the timing is right for EQ3. (Not EQNext) Nothing wrong with WoW or a lot of other games but no one has an attachment right now. It's time for something different and EQ has a little something left to its name but it's fading fast. If they could really pay homage to EQ classic and bring the lore back to life, they could really do something special and then Blizzard can come back and sweep everyone back as WoW did.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I just want to know who in Sony's art department kept looking at Bumpy, Ultra-shiny Plastic-looking textures and going "WAY OF THE FUTURE."

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I remember thinking WoW was amazing on launch. I remember thinking EQ2 was a buggy piece of shit that couldn't run on my machine. I likely would have stuck around longer had my computer actually been able to run it, but I distinctly recall my Defiler having a mandatory self-buff that drove my FPS into the ground (on all low settings). The choice was easy.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, many people had issue with the requirements to run EQ2 at launch. Another misstep by the SoE overlords. I had a pretty beefy system back then and it still took a shit every one in a while. WoW on the other hand was smooth as butter. It had its launch issues as well, but at least it ran well.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
The one that turned you into a fog man I imagine? Some of their spell effects had to be massively nerfed.

I remember they added a raid off of Zek during vanilla EQ2, and it used the floating globule elemental model a lot, which was a laggy piece of shit. They had to nerf that model for performance reasons, which was nice because the part of Solusek's Eye where you walked on a small glass bridge over a huge pool of lava was surrounded by those things, and I was always a little paranoid walking down it for fear of lagging off the edge.