SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah. I did get a PM on that post that convinced me I was far, far too optimistic and that EQN would have been in a bad state even if SB had purchased SOE.

Back to figuring out the VGEmu forums I guess.
Pantheon on bro!

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
image.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Interesting info. It sounds like SOE was for sale, Sony was asking way too much from people who actually cared about the project/IP, game related investors moved on, a long time later they're left selling SOE for jack-shit to a company that doesn't give a damn about the IP or making games. Sounds about what to expect with SOE. I haven't been a fan of anything Sony for a long time, but almost feel happy for them to have lanced this boil.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Storybricks guys seem cool as shit but their vision for EQN sounded like a mess. Why on earth would you ever bolt in 38 Studios content? I mean, I get that it means that SOE/DB has jack and shit for EQN content but still, that still makes no sense. Just start fresh at that point.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
When you're telling fanboys that you had a secret infinite money scheme to save their dreams so that you leave the mess looking better, you might as well shoot the moon.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Storybricks guys seem cool as shit but their vision for EQN sounded like a mess. Why on earth would you ever bolt in 38 Studios content? I mean, I get that it means that SOE/DB has jack and shit for EQN content but still, that still makes no sense. Just start fresh at that point.
There was more to it than that. I don't really understand details so take the following with as large a grain of salt as you want: but from what I've been told I gather the SB idea for EQN was less MMO and more single-box-multiplayer a la Minecraft: in that you could buy the box and build your own server and use Voxeltech or 38 Studios.

If the people who know more - and they know who they are - want to post, that'd probably be best.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
There was more to it than that. I don't really understand details so take the following with as large a grain of salt as you want: but from what I've been told I gather the SB idea for EQN was less MMO and more single-box-multiplayer a la Minecraft: in that you could buy the box and build your own server and use Voxeltech or 38 Studios.
To be honest, that could have been decent with the right tools to let people really create their own MMO.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I don't mind the art, but EQN is already a Frankenstein of a game. Mixing in other assets would just make the melting pot of shit even funnier.

Tad, I honestly think that's what Landmark should be. As it stands it's just a boring ass pointless wreck of a game. Morph it into that, start EQN over. Again.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Oh yeah! Start over again! Use the code from try 1 or 2, buy 38 studio art assets and put them in the forgelight engine, slap some eq names on the map and.... profit?

At this point the IP is pretty much burned out. They need a good game, no more, no less. Wont happen if you ask me....

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If the people who know more - and they know who they are - want to post, that'd probably be best.
The 38 studios assets were probably a tons of props, environment, vegetation, monsters etc and there was no point using artists to design gold chalice #5 over again.

Also Minecraft has "official" servers for locked down platforms like iPad and consoles. Since people want to run their own private servers anyway you might as well monetize it.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I disagree. It sounds like they knew exactly what they were doing. The plan might have cratered but they had a pretty good idea and the means to implement it if Sony's parent had given them the same deal they gave Nova.

I think the problem is they overvalued SOE before. As of today they just wanted to dump it. The other question is why didn't Sony clean house before hand? They certainly have no problems with RIFs as they've had plenty over the last few years. Did Smed have complete autonomy or something?

I wasn't a voxel fan but I liked the idea of Storybricks.