SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Cutting in-game support to a minimum for EQ/EQ2:
DAYBREAK CONSTRICTS GAMEMASTERS IN EQ AND EQII
The new policy severely limits what gamemasters can do to correct what Daybreak is calling ?simple gameplay errors? in EverQuest II.

What constitutes a simple gameplay error? Gamemasters will no longer be on call to fix deleted items, accidentally sold items, accidentally bought items, misloots, or accidental modifications of items. ?Deleted characters will not be restored,? Daybreak warns, so ?feel free to re-roll a new character.?

Of note, the studio says it will not ?administrate a guild or intervene in guild management affairs in any way,? meaning that if your guild leader disappears, you?re out of luck: ?If your guild leader is absent, please create a new guild of your own or find another guild on the server that meets your needs.? Guild and character renames, the studio recommends, are to be handled with name change potions available in the cash shop.
Wow. Damn.

rrr_img_92026.png

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cutting in-game support to a minimum for EQ/EQ2:
DAYBREAK CONSTRICTS GAMEMASTERS IN EQ AND EQII
The new policy severely limits what gamemasters can do to correct what Daybreak is calling ?simple gameplay errors? in EverQuest II.
It is a bigger statement than it is an impact on gameplay/experience.

I played EQ off and on, for 3 months at a time here and there over the past 10 years and never "needed" an GM or in-game support. The game has evolved to the point where in-game tools are provided to solve most situations. For things like deletion of characters and items, the safe-guards are there as well. So, yeah, if you delete your own character, feel free to re-roll a new one... These Daybreak mother fuckas sound like grown ups.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
So when I lost my cleric epic by putting it in a forge by mistake, because it had the same cursor graphic as a rusty mace. Instead of them returning epic, then a few month later changing tradeskill containers to send no drop items back to your inventory if you closed the container, Then a few months later after that giving epic unique cursor graphics. Nope today I would be shit out of luck.

When my bard didn't receive a key item for bard epic 2.0. A item that you need on you to spawn one of epic 2.0 mobs while doing epic 1.5 because hails were done in wrong order. No item refund and No Bard epic for me ever!

Final fight of Coldain shawl quest when both the dwarf general and giant attacker decided to fight inside of game terrain where i couldn't target them so general died. No refund of the trigger item I should just start the whole quest over agian from scratch if that's even possible.

Hopefully Daybreak is resold as quickly as possible to someone that has a clue of how to run existing everquest games.
Eh, you not paying attention to what you are doing is on you in the first example. That wasn't a bug, that was you being extremely careless. The second would be considered a bug, and one that has since been worked out I would imagine, as would the third issue. Those aren't mistakes on your part, they would be problems with the game itself. The Daybreak changes are simply taking away the ability for people to have a safety net when -they- fuck up and not the game. I'm surprised people are upset about these changes, as they seem right up the alley for the people who think all modern games are for casuals. Remember, you're in their world now.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
Sounds to me like the standard cut back on services to milk as much money as we can out of a IP before we run it completely into the ground shtick.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Eh, you not paying attention to what you are doing is on you in the first example. That wasn't a bug, that was you being extremely careless. The second would be considered a bug, and one that has since been worked out I would imagine, as would the third issue. Those aren't mistakes on your part, they would be problems with the game itself. The Daybreak changes are simply taking away the ability for people to have a safety net when -they- fuck up and not the game. I'm surprised people are upset about these changes, as they seem right up the alley for the people who think all modern games are for casuals. Remember, you're in their world now.
No the first one has been fixed to not be able to happen the second and third are still in game.

You literally can not repeat the mistake that deleted the cleric epic in a forge because as soon as you close a container like a forge now it bounces all no drop items back to your inventory.

The shawl bug happened just under a year ago the bard epic problem was two years ago. At first they told me I didn't need the item from bard epic 1.5 quest because I had finished epic 1.5. I took a second petition to get item because you need it on your person to trigger a epic 2.0 spawn. The shawl quest at first they said they had no record of me ever having the item. In both cases the bugs still exist and in both cases the first response was there wasn't problem they could help with Then in both cases the problems were fixed by CS making a judgement call.

Those bugs still exist but the next guy is shit out of luck if they happen to them now.

I did math and I'm sending $700 Daybreaks way a year between three subscriptions/krono, three expansion purchases and SC purchases. Only now there will be no CS around for the once every year are so that I need it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That moment in this thread when you realize Wildstar will probably be better than EQN, but you're still glad you're not going to pay or play either shitfest.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was a little hopeful before but not anymore, shit's dead. No CS means they don't give a fuck about the service.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone got a definitive time frame of how long SOE was shopping around for a buyer versus when Blizz canceled Titan?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I was a little hopeful before but not anymore, shit's dead. No CS means they don't give a fuck about the service.
Pretty much this, by now I just hope PS2 ends up in good hands when they start selling things. I dont play it regularly anymore but it's fun to pick up for an evening now and then.

Off that page there's a link to Storybricks shutting down as well. In theirfarewell letterthey say they were going to buy SOE and the assets from 38 Studios.

We retained an investment banking firm as a proxy and they went directly to Sony Corporate bypassing the local executives. We would have been able to raise the necessary capital, and had interviewed new and existing management ready for a turnover. Alas, it was not meant to be as the terms offered by Sony Japan were unacceptable to us and to our investors. It is my understanding that other buyers had the same reaction and, in the end, Columbus Nova got a completely different deal that the one we were offered, but by then our investor group had moved on.

It was our intention to try to acquire the 38 Studios assets and made them available to players in EQN. Moreover we would have probably changed the server infrastructure allowing people to run their own servers. It would not have been a very canonical EverQuest but we would have done the best to service our customers with the limited budget of an independent studio who wanted to punch above its weight.
Wait so .... a company of 10 guys who has been working on "Emergent AI" for 5 years with absolutely nothing to show for it, has suckers willing to give them enough cash to buy SOE and 38 Studios??? Does this sound like complete BS or is SOE not really worth much? The 38 studios assets obviously aren't worth anything.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Off that page there's a link to Storybricks shutting down as well. In theirfarewell letterthey say they were going to buy SOE and the assets from 38 Studios.

Wait so .... a company of 10 guys who has been working on "Emergent AI" for 5 years with absolutely nothing to show for it, has suckers willing to give them enough cash to buy SOE and 38 Studios??? Does this sound like complete BS or is SOE not really worth much? The 38 studios assets obviously aren't worth anything.
That sounds like the worst business plan I have ever heard. However, I think it shines a light on where EQN is in the dev cycle...