SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure that's about their decision to end their business not terminate their relationship with SOE.
"On that note, Rosini and Bura are insistent that EverQuest Next?s new ownership ? Sony Online Entertainment was recently acquired by Columbus Nova ? had nothing to do with Storybricks? decision not to renew the EverQuest contract or to ultimately shut down the company."

Game Over For Storybricks | TechCrunch

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Assuming story-bricks was somewhat real and not just vaporware... this is a step back for the entire games industry. I am sure the concept would have had it's problems and flaws, but to get fundamentally new AI systems out there in a working game would have laid some ground work for the industry to innovate on for the future.

It is all just disappointing.

Vitality

HUSTLE
We've seen this cycle already in the previous generation of video game development. Games come out with an increasingly drastic cut to quality to make a quick buck. Companies fold. Others rise and re-inspire the market. Still waiting for EA to bite the dust to call this generation complete though.

EQN could barely get Mobs to work on even a fundamental level in landmark. Storybricks was vapor from the start simply by default.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
"On that note, Rosini and Bura are insistent that EverQuest Next's new ownership - Sony Online Entertainment was recently acquired by Columbus Nova - had nothing to do with Storybricks' decision not to renew the EverQuest contract or to ultimately shut down the company."

Game Over For Storybricks | TechCrunch
That's just bad reporting. The quote they cite and you cited earlier says nothing about renewing or not renewing the contract and everything about shutting down the company.
On that note, Rosini and Bura are insistent that EverQuest Next's new ownership - Sony Online Entertainment was recently acquired by Columbus Nova - had nothing to do with Storybricks' decision not to renew the EverQuest contract or to ultimately shut down the company.

"It was our own decision and Sony Online Entertainment (now Daybreak Games) bears no fault for it. Sony Online Entertainment had been up for sale for a long time so our exit had no connection with the Columbus Nova acquisition," they write.
Now whether something was said in a private call between the two who knows - but the reporter doesn't cite the call, they cite the press release.

Edit: I've been informed that SB did initiate the (let's call it) "breakup" by someone who would know and was also informed that SB didn't feel they were screwed over by SOE/Smed for the length of their contract. Wasn't clear from the press-release.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So at this point everybody assumes EQNext is completely dead and they have nothing. If that is the case (and it really does look like it) why did SOE try to create some buzz for it? Why the Landmark hype, the devtalks, roundtables etc. when it was completely clear that they don't have anything to show for the next few years?

Trying to fool potential investors? I mean, how dumb can you be.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure what they have but they've done themselves a disservice by not showing more. From what I can tell, the shit that goes In Eql actually goes into EQN first. It's just testing in Eql. So Only reason I can think of is bc blizz is supposed to be working on their own version of EQN and they don't want to show thier hand too soon

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
EQN could barely get Mobs to work on even a fundamental level in landmark. Storybricks was vapor from the start simply by default.
I think that this is judging a bit prematurely. Landmark is still closed beta, and I'm fairly certain that the mobs we see now are there purely to test mobs with voxels. Improved AI is on the updated blueprint.

I'm skeptical that DBG will deliver what they're selling, but we don't need to come up with bullshit to bury them with. They have a pile of their own.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So at this point everybody assumes EQNext is completely dead and they have nothing. If that is the case (and it really does look like it) why did SOE try to create some buzz for it? Why the Landmark hype, the devtalks, roundtables etc. when it was completely clear that they don't have anything to show for the next few years?

Trying to fool potential investors? I mean, how dumb can you be.
They announced the game way too early. When they announced it a few years ago at SOE Live they pretty much had nothing at all to show. We're going to create this game! It's going to be so cool! Then they had nothing other than what they wanted to do. Landmark is a joke. People paid $100+ for nothing to subsidize their development costs on a game that is never going to come out. The timetable they gave was never realistic, especially with how poorly run the company is.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well of course you have to announce your game too early if you have to design it using community polls!
smile.png

Vitality

HUSTLE
EQN being designed by community polls just goes to show you that the community has no idea what they're talking about.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The community got the Dwarven-Women Need Beards poll right! With that kind of hard-hitting community design, we're bound to have a functional design doc by 2045, just in time to scrap it all to chase holodeck vaporware technology.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
They announced the game way too early. When they announced it a few years ago at SOE Live they pretty much had nothing at all to show. We're going to create this game! It's going to be so cool! Then they had nothing other than what they wanted to do. Landmark is a joke. People paid $100+ for nothing to subsidize their development costs on a game that is never going to come out. The timetable they gave was never realistic, especially with how poorly run the company is.
They announced it and Hyped it to try and find a suitable buyer for the company. They promised a lot of imaginary shit and held back room demos to try and find buyers for their vaporware game. No one took the bait and they got caught in a lie for the past two years with zero updates on the game basically proving they had shit.

If everything had gone to plan SOE would of been sold years ago, From what I'm hearing this sale was just the last in a long line of attempts to sell off the IP.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Clever video, no mozz sticks, out of touch. out of time. But I'm out of my head when you're not around.