Solasta: Crown of the Magister

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
yeah. also, got it via Gamepass yesterday.

Sorc is being added? druid? I did notice, Charisma tooltip outright says, "best for paladins, sorcerers". but, no sorc in game.
the Sylvan wizard has a bunch of druid spell options.

Noticed the female voices are 2 females and one male.. male voices seem to be 3 males? may be race based? may need to look closer. perhaps it was just the female elf that had the male voice option for a female.

does seem a bit rough overall. not unplayable. but not as polished as divinity.
Like when adjusting body type slider. the camera is focused on the head, and you can't even see what you are adjusting. its tiny things like that, here and there.

DnD shield rules are shit. only +2ac. and yeah, can't cast somatic spells. it's so stupid.
I ran paladin and cleric. so hitting that shit x2 atm.
yeah, battle clerics can use their weapons as a holy symbol.

holy symbols, and componant pouches having an actual item, and being slotted in various spots is neat.
Char creation tooltip says, slight of hand is not used in the main campaign. so, I suppose, stealing either is not possible?

being able to cast light on items. I have not tested the scope of this. can I cast it on an arrow and fire it? cast on a rock and throw?
I think just the actual weapon and not the ammo or projectile.

Was hoping, a bit, that they wouldn't wipe all of the old data when the game launched but they did so I'm replaying a bunch of stuff that I had fun going through before but it's a bit tedious replaying a second time. Actually seems like there are more inconsistencies now than in my EA playthrough, got completely trapped in the second exploration zone and was unable to level up to 3 so ended up running into a spider fight that almost ended my playthrough entirely and I had to brute force and get lucky rng to barely squeak by.

Visually it's at the very bottom of the pile for D&D stuff but gameplay wise it's still the most fun. I have a halfling whose lips move behind a beard that appears to just be glued to his face and doesn't morph to match any animations but even the bugs feel like it's just a DM having a bad day and taking it out on the party, everything works within the scope of the game and world and it's the closest to tabletop that I've played on a PC.

Caliane

forced death in that first fort ambush is a bit odd..
I have a paladin and cleric.. and 3 scrolls of revivify..

Caliane

ha. noticed the bonus action spell restriction. something people not familiar with the obscure 5e rule might be confused about. as theres no tooltip for it.

"when casting a spell as a bonus action, you can't cast any spells as an action or reaction, unless its a cantrip during that same turn. "

so in game, you might cast cure wounds for example, then get the bonus action prompt, then be confused why it won't actually let you cast any of the bonus action spells.

should be able to end concentration spells at any time. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. specifically other peoples turns.

Last edited:

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Can end concentration by clicking the circle on the character portrait, seems only on that character's turn though.

Also this is near the end of the game but still a bit nuts. Picked up a +2 ring after this screenshot so could be 30 ac but decided to put it on the cleric to make her AC 24

6-3-2021 1-51-03 PM.png

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
One big complaint is the player characters are an atrocity. Its almost impossible to make a decent looking one.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The hair looks worse than hair did in RPGs made 15 years ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah the character models are horrible, the dialogue and most of the UI. I get that they try to include some party banter but it comes off as incredibly stale. This was never gonna be some hot shot AAA competitor title, so why not play it smart and have good text-based dialogue instead of trying to voice act everything and as such make it generic and downsized? Not even PoE games or Pathfinder tried to do everything with voice acting, and they could afford to pay good voice actors and have them read tons of lines. It plays clunky, like really, have me go to inventory while looting a box? highlighting with ALT instad of the universally used TAB? ugh.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I do miss games that were mostly text based, such as the old school BGs and Fallouts. I understand why there is a push to have 100% voice but it limits you so much in just how much you can have.

• 2Like

Shmoopy

Yeah the character models are horrible, the dialogue and most of the UI. I get that they try to include some party banter but it comes off as incredibly stale. This was never gonna be some hot shot AAA competitor title, so why not play it smart and have good text-based dialogue instead of trying to voice act everything and as such make it generic and downsized? Not even PoE games or Pathfinder tried to do everything with voice acting, and they could afford to pay good voice actors and have them read tons of lines. It plays clunky, like really, have me go to inventory while looting a box? highlighting with ALT instad of the universally used TAB? ugh.

They could have a limited array of decent PC models. They were actually better during the early access. Not sure what happened to make them all horrible.

Anyway aside from models game is well done. Voice acting is great but the models are so bad its gonna tank sales unfortunately. :(

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Finished it, only some 20 hours. Pretty bad UI, had no idea about the quest board until the very end of the game, should definitely be advertized better, not that the quests are anything noteworthy, just go there kill a few baddies, and return. The final fight was really underwhelming.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah the ending was pretty lame. I went and hit up a few custom dungeons after, there are a few really good multi tier collections out already. I am currently waiting for the Sorcerer to be released then will do another playthrough with it and the barbarian class mod.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just finished this earlier today and felt it was a good game.

It's extremely obvious that it's a low-budget game, but I was legitimately impressed with what they were able to accomplish with such a small team and very little money to work with. The mechanics of the game are fantastic and they did a excellent job of adopting the 5e ruleset, but the game isn't without its flaws. Some of which are just a product of having a shoestring budget. However, some a few of the flaws could have easily been avoided. For one, I really feel that the writing could have been A LOT better. I can accept and even understand shitty voice acting because it's a very expensive element of game production, but some of the writing was so 'tropey' and canned, it made me cringe a few times. Though I suppose that some of the sub-par writing may be a consequence of the game being developed by a French team.

All in all, I'm shocked (and pleased) at how well this Kickstarter project turned out. I don't know what the total development cost was, but it wasn't much. The KS campaign only raised about $290k. Despite that, the game is better than 90% of all D&D PC games ever produced. The game was definitely worth the $30 I paid and I hope the development team decides to make a sequel or similar D&D project with a real budget.

If these guys had just $10 million, I have no doubt they'd create an EPIC Iso-RPG.

• 3Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 3 users

Shmoopy

Total drop the ball on this game. Incredibly bad itemization. The PC character models are such that it impossible to make a decent looking character.

Sad because with better art direction and sane itemized / crafting this could a classic. Everything else is quite well done.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Total drop the ball on this game. Incredibly bad itemization. The PC character models are such that it impossible to make a decent looking character.

Sad because with better art direction and sane itemized / crafting this could a classic. Everything else is quite well done.
I can agree with you that the itemization was not great. Also, I really dislike magic item vendors, especially those with magic items as powerful as the items that were available to be purchased. I did like what they were trying to do with the faction system and integrating it with crafting, even though it wasn't handled well either.

The models were definitely bad, but are not aware of the budget this game had? It was almost nothing. Shitty models/cut-scenes on shoe-string budgets are a given. The Kickstarter didn't even raise 300k... The game is masterpiece with that taken in to consideration. It's also a $30 game, at retail. Your expectations are really out of line with the reality of the project.

As I said in the post above yours, if this team had a proper budget, I believe they'd make an incredible D&D game. Certainly better than 90% of the trash WoTC/TSR has licensed over its history.

My major complaint is the writing. It was ok in some areas, but inexcusably tropey and cringe in many cases. The writing for dialog doesn't cost much and this game really should have leaned much harder on the story knowing they were going to fall short in areas (like graphics) that simply cost too much to compete with major studios.

Last edited:

Qhue

Trump's Staff

So co-op multiplayer and a whole new campaign DLC

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Anyone still tinkering with this? Probably snag the bundle and see if I can get my group of friends who played through Divinity to give it a go. Base game still on Game Pass too.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
It's ok, but you can tell they were scraping the bottom of the budget barrel when it came to character art. I have not seen such shitty models in over a decade. Especially the hair. If any game needed some of that Skyrim character model love it's this game.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I got it yesterday.

It is okay. Certainly no game of the year, but I'll play it when bored

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Rough night for my group of bads yoloing into it, bitching about DND rules all night, lol.

Anyone played this enough to recommend an inexperienced group start the default original adventure or jump into the new one instead?