Someone hit my parked car...suggestions?

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm sitting in my apartment last Thursday. I'm taking a virtual bootcamp for my MSCA Server 2012 R2 for my company when I hear this loud noise from outside. It sounded as if the garbage truck had dropped the dumpster. Ignoring and resuming my lecture; my apartment manager came to my door 20-30 minutes or so after this noise and told my car was involved in an accident. I walk outside and see this:

rrr_img_79042.jpg

(larger image)

Someone had wildly veered off the road and onto apartment property, smashing through several fences/air conditioners/flag poles/rock barriers before smashing into my vehicle. It pushed my car through a rock barrier (you can see the stones in the dirt) and completely out of my parking spot. Her car didn't even occupy my original spot, that's how hard/fast she was going. I was in shock, to say the least, that this had happened.

Now...the cops had already taken her testimony and she was picked up by someone by the time I was able to get outside. There was an issue where no one knew whose white audi this was so they could't find me until my apartment manager was called in. I did not have a chance to speak to the other driver to collect any information. A witness the police talked to and took a statement from said the other driver cut her off from the middle lane and she saw that she was on her phone (texting/talking) as she looked over to see why she had cut her off before veering onto the curb and into apartment property.

Now here's the deal Rerolled: I finished paying this car off earlier this year and, being the clever guy I am, decided that I did not want to pay for insurance anymore (yea...I know). I have never been in an accident and consider myself a safe driver...until this happened. Knowing this now, what would you guys do? Do I just contact her insurance?

I don't even know the other drivers name. Does it come out on the police report (it hasn't been released yet)? I called the police station to inquire about it and the woman said it takes 5-10 days the report to come out. Does the report include the insurance company of the other driver?

At the moment I have not contacted anyone. Do I call HER insurance company?

The fuck do I do?

Edit - I have liability

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, assuming she has insurance, you should be fine since the accident is her fault. However it's weird that this all happened and you don't even know her name. Normally you'd call your insurance and they'd contact her insurance for payment, but since you don't have any I'm not sure what the protocol is.. Sounds like you'll have to wait for the report, then contact her insurance yourself and hope they don't dick you around. Also, when it comes to replacement or diminished value, a lot of times your insurance has to fight for this on your behalf.. You may have to get a lawyer.

But dude, how can you afford to buy an Audi yet skimp on the insurance?? If you were driving a 1995 Corolla I'd get it, but that looks like a B8 series Audi to me... Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your car get impounded if you get pulled over without insurance in Texas?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would contact her insurance.. yes. Texas requires her to financially be responsible for all damage she dished out, if her insurance can't cover it all then you can sue her for the rest. If she doesn't have insurance I believe you can sue her for it all.

Auto insurance is so cheap, I would imagine after this you would want to purchase some.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not having auto insurance, even if it's permitted in your jurisdiction, is flat out retarded. Seriously.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
WTF insurance is for the benefit of those on the road that you may hit not your own car. What would you do exactly if you totaled someones new BMW?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You only ever NEED liability insurance in case you hurt someone else. However collusion insurance on a vehicle over $4000 ish is a smart move because most accidents are not in your control.

Sorry Bro Friday, you done goofed. You now have to do all the legwork, find out who she is (police report) Call her, get her insurance info (wont be in the police report) HOPE TO HELL her insurance company is nice otherwise they will tell you to call your insurance company or just straight up take advantage of your inexperience. You most likely will have to hire a lawyer to chase her down and that lawyer is going to take 1/2 your settlement and its going to take a year before you see a dime.

My advice, when contact the driver and then her insurance company, be as nice as humanly possible, they could tell your F off then its no car and lawyer time for you.

I was able to convince the other drivers company to pay me out for the tank of gas I lost as I just filled up 5 km from the accident. Small victories ! but $78 is $78.

You cheaped out and its going to cost you a lot.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
WTF insurance is for the benefit of those on the road that you may hit not your own car. What would you do exactly if you totaled someones new BMW?
He has liability insurance for 3rd party damage, just not first party damage as he felt he would not crash his car, he did not think his car could be destroyed with out him involved, it happens very often. Fire, theft, vandalism...why take a risk if the car has reasonable value.

I sell insurance for a living and was involved in a accident just last month, feel free to PM me questions if you need to bro.

Tenks do you not have collusion and comprehensive (1st party physical damage) coverage on your car? What is your car worth?

Senaiel

Silver Knight of the Realm
You are lucky your car was parked. If you had been on the road you'd be facing over a $1000 ticket. Since the police can't prove you actually drive that vehicle your lucky as shit. But as everyone else says here you are a Class A retard. Not to even have minimal insurance that will hardly cost you anything, basically leads me to believe you got what you had coming. Used to work for a law firm in college, the insurance company of hers (if she has one) is going to run you through the ringer for a year plus and try to pay you pennies on the dollar.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still amazed that in some states it is legal to drive a car completely without insurance. Doesn't the whole insurance sector at least have a lobby for that?

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sitting in my apartment last Thursday. I'm taking a virtual bootcamp for my MSCA Server 2012 R2 for my company when I hear this loud noise from outside. It sounded as if the garbage truck had dropped the dumpster. Ignoring and resuming my lecture; my apartment manager came to my door 20-30 minutes or so after this noise and told my car was involved in an accident. I walk outside and see this:

rrr_img_79042.jpg

(larger image)

Someone had wildly veered off the road and onto apartment property, smashing through several fences/air conditioners/flag poles/rock barriers before smashing into my vehicle. It pushed my car through a rock barrier (you can see the stones in the dirt) and completely out of my parking spot. Her car didn't even occupy my original spot, that's how hard/fast she was going. I was in shock, to say the least, that this had happened.

Now...the cops had already taken her testimony and she was picked up by someone by the time I was able to get outside. There was an issue where no one knew whose white audi this was so they could't find me until my apartment manager was called in. I did not have a chance to speak to the other driver to collect any information. A witness the police talked to and took a statement from said the other driver cut her off from the middle lane and she saw that she was on her phone (texting/talking) as she looked over to see why she had cut her off before veering onto the curb and into apartment property.

Now here's the deal Rerolled: I finished paying this car off earlier this year and, being the clever guy I am, decided that I did not want to pay for insurance anymore (yea...I know). I have never been in an accident and consider myself a safe driver...until this happened. Knowing this now, what would you guys do? Do I just contact her insurance?

I don't even know the other drivers name. Does it come out on the police report (it hasn't been released yet)? I called the police station to inquire about it and the woman said it takes 5-10 days the report to come out. Does the report include the insurance company of the other driver?

At the moment I have not contacted anyone. Do I call HER insurance company?

The fuck do I do?
You need to make sure the police report covers your car as well. I would call the police and have your information added to the report so the report notes that the Audi is your car. You need to obtain her insurance information if you haven't. You then need to call her insurance and start the process of them paying for damages. They will have certain body shops they do and do not approve of. You will basically follow the insurance company's directions.

Lastly, get insurance you moron. If she didn't have any insurance you would be fucked because she is probably judgment proof.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He has liability insurance for 3rd party damage, just not first party damage as he felt he would not crash his car, he did not think his car could be destroyed with out him involved, it happens very often. Fire, theft, vandalism...why take a risk if the car has reasonable value.

I sell insurance for a living and was involved in a accident just last month, feel free to PM me questions if you need to bro.

Tenks do you not have collusion and comprehensive (1st party physical damage) coverage on your car? What is your car worth?
Haha, why do you keep calling it collusion insurance? Now that I think about it, collusion insurance would be a homerun idea.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Haha, why do you keep calling it collusion insurance? Now that I think about it, collusion insurance would be a homerun idea.
Because I am dyslexic and I type too fast either that or I endeavor to amuse you. !

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have comp and coll on my car. It is only a, probably now, fairly inexpensive Civic.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
As others have said, not having insurance is retarded. Even storage insurance is like twenty bucks a month.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Lucky for you, you can likely get this woman to pay for it. But you are still a dumbass for owning a nice car and not having insurance. What the fuck would you do if you accidentally caused an auto accident? You would be fucked for life.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If we are talking probability and overall cash spent on insurance vs car repair it's fairly reasonable to not have insurance. Having to drum up a new car payment isn't all that big a deal if you're decent with your money. However, when you start talking about injury it makes absolutely no sense to not have insurance. I don't know why you'd ever chance that.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The fact is insurance is a ripoff right up until the point you need it.

Isn't PIP insurance required in all states?

Do you mean you don't have any insurance at all, or you just have the minimum required liability coverage? If it's the latter you're fine.

Anyway, all the information you need should be in the police report, including the other drivers insurance information. I had the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago, I didn't have to deal with the other driver at all. My insurance company didn't care either, told me to contact the other drivers company directly.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If we are talking probability and overall cash spent on insurance vs car repair it's fairly reasonable to not have insurance. Having to drum up a new car payment isn't all that big a deal if you're decent with your money. However, when you start talking about injury it makes absolutely no sense to not have insurance. I don't know why you'd ever chance that.
you do understand that if you cause an accident and cripple people, you'd have to pay more than 99% of the population actually own?

replacing a totaled car is pocket change compared to that.

So don't use "reasonable", because that's just unreasonable.