Sonic the Hedgehog (2019)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Pretty much the same people who took their kids to that Will Smith Aladdin abortion

You can't compare Aladdin to Sonic. Sonic was always budget Mario, at least in the west. The only people that cared about Sanic more than it being "that blue thing that goes fast" after playing one of the games was just weird Sega fanboys. The cultural impact of Sonic is negligible to say the least. The same can't really be said about Aladdin

People remember Aladdin with fondness. People remember Sonic with indifference.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
This shows just how wrong the old design looked. Makes you wonder how many people were sitting around the table that approved that first design.

Sonic1c4-1200.jpg

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This shows just how wrong the old design looked. Makes you wonder how many people were sitting around the table that approved that first design.

View attachment 231227
if this wasnt all a marketing scheme from the beginning to lure people in with false sense of interactivity, then its just plain incompetence, with a dash of indifference to thier market base. maybe Paramount saw how badly Terminator 25 was doing in test screenings and decided they had to do something to make sure all their retro reboots werent failures.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
I didn't watch the original trailer but just looking at that side-by-side above I have to agree with Chuk that it's probably a marketing deal. Mostly because I want to think that not everybody involved in the project could possibly be retarded enough to think the left was a good idea up until people yelled at them on the internet.

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Taking some guesses here:

I sorta think that it's the result of some of the Hollywood sect, thinking that they're genius's and that their vision / ideas are 100% right.

I cite the recent Star Wars films as an example of how far up their own asses these people can be.

That early version of Sonic was ( in the minds of the people making it to that design ) supposed to be a version of a living creature that is grounded ( a bit ) in an altered form of biology.

The new revised one is now cartoonish, which ends up being right.

This is just me, sitting here, trying to reverse engineer what might have been the thought process. But again, think of how bad these people's ego's are and look at the new Star Wars films.

Cybsled

It isn't a conspiracy. Redoing Sonic's rendering would have been EXPENSIVE.

They just plain fucked up, realized that the audience wasn't going to accept the product, and fortunately were able to fix things in post production to salvage the film from being the biggest bomb of the year.

Now granted, the movie might still blow, but at least now it has a pretty wrapper to lure consumers.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea i believe this is genius marketing, just make a trailer with ugly sonic while making the movie with real sonic in secret.

remember superman? just 25m for that stupid mustache

theres no way they could budget, essentially redoing all the cgi.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I've heard the timelines for toy making typically spool up ahead of a movie's release so they can be available at launch. I wonder if they done goofed with the original and there are copies of the derpy Sonic toys out there in a 3rd world country now.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Who is even the demographic for this movie? Kids don't play Sonic or even know who he is, and adults who played Sonic when they were younger won't go in for this strange garbage.
My 6yo loves Sonic. I have done absolutely nothing to encourage this. We don't have any gaming consoles, he has a tablet that uses a bit each day. He picked it up entirely on his own through a few youtube videos.

I don't mind him liking Sonic, just as long as he doesn't grow up a furry.

That said, as far as I know, he doesn't know about this movie.

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saw the movie, really enjoyed it.

Jim Carrey performance as Robotnik was to put it pretty "animated".

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Saw the movie, really enjoyed it.

Jim Carrey performance as Robotnik was to put it pretty "animated".

Curious?? Did you buy a ticket or do you have the A list free ticket thing ?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Seeing this tomorrow for my Kid's Birthday Party. I am going in expecting it to be utter dog shit, like Star Wars Ep 8 levels of bad. So I can only be surprised in a positive way, right? Right!?!?

• 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Took my kids to see it this evening. It wasn’t nearly as terrible as I was expecting. I’ve been forced to sit through way worse shit for my kids.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Needed something to do with the kids tomorrow and they love sonic from the games and cartoons so I'm giving this a go tomorrow too.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Word is out, that this is actually good. I'm not in the demo to see it, but hey at least they made a good video game movie, eh?

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I liked it, very entertaining, some good jokes, it didn't take itself seriously. Worth the price of matinee tickets especially if you have kids.

It isn't Bob Hoskins Super Mario great but better than most video game movies