Sony to close 20 of 31 US stores and sell off PC & Vaio division

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Sony to close 20 of 31 US stores and cut 1,000 jobs as part of restructure - Pocket-lint

Sony selling off Vaio brand and PC business after plummeting sales - Pocket-lint

Sony Electronics has announced it will soon close two-thirds of its retail locations across the US.

The Japanese-based consumer electronics company has 31 stores in the US, but 20 of them are now shutting down to maintain "competitiveness in an evolving consumer electronics market". As listed on Sony's website, the 11 remaining US stores are mostly located in major metropolitan areas such as New York City, Los Angeles, Orlando, and Houston.

"While these moves were extremely tough, they were absolutely necessary to position us in the best possible place for future growth," said Mike Fasulo, President and COO of Sony Electronics. "I am entirely confident in our ability to turn the business around, in achieving our preferred future, and continue building on our flawless commitment to customer loyalty through the complete entertainment experience only Sony can offer."

This significant reduction further means Sony will cut roughly 1,000 jobs in the US, though those positions are part of a previously announced reduction of 5,000 jobs globally. Sony, which is known for its PlayStation console and Bravia TV, is striving to get ahead in the smartphone and computer markets, but it is fledging, especially with major companies like Apple and Samsung Electronics dominating the gadget space.
As tablet and phone sales soar across the industry Sony has been failing to shift PCs under the Vaio brand. Now Sony has announced it's going to sell Vaio and its PC business as a whole to Japan Industrial Partners by the end of March.

Sony also says it will be reforming its TV department to make it a standalone entity by the end of June 2014.

During Q3 Sony saw sales increase from its mobile arm, with phones and tablets on the rise, but still forecasts a loss of around $1.1 billion for 2013. Hence the decision to focus on sales of phones and tablets. This drop comes in the year the PS4 sold 4.2 million units and 9.7 million games in its first six weeks as well as a huge increase in PlayStation Plus subscriptions.

All these changes mean Sony will have to cut 5000 jobs worldwide by March this year. For those who bought a Vaio product Sony promises it will fulfil its aftercare warranties.

The separation of the TV arm should leave it to focus on high-end sets and 4K screens (of which Sony claims to have 75 per cent market share) with the goal of returning to profit within the next financial year.
I personally was never a fan of their Vaio laptops (overpriced). Seems like they will be going full steam ahead by concentrating on their TVs, PS4 and Cameras.

Their new Sony A7 camera does seem nice though and is making big waves in the photography world by being a full frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Maybe they are redirecting more resources into that market.

joz123

Potato del Grande
All of their stores should close. Never see anything on sale or even same price as other stores when prices are cut, always higher. Plus the sales people are doorknobs and don't know a damn thing about anything in the store, they just read the back of boxes hoping the answer is on there.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Maybe the Chinese, Lenovo, would like to buy Sony's leftovers, as they did IBM's.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Aside from the god awful Apple stores do people really visit these standalone stores anymore when purchasing PCs?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I can't remember the last time I purchased ANY electronics in a store. Nowadays electronic stores are used for hands-on experience before saving 50 bucks by ordering online.

koljec_sl

shitlord
I personally was never a fan of their Vaio laptops (overpriced). Seems like they will be going full steam ahead by concentrating on their TVs, PS4 and Cameras.

Their new Sony A7 camera does seem nice though and is making big waves in the photography world by being a full frame mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Maybe they are redirecting more resources into that market.
Electronics stores definitely suck. They're useful for TVs I guess.

I think this is about Sony concluding that PCs and laptops (and electronics stores) are dying (dead). It doesn't help that Sony is usually on the higher end of price, either.

Once Haswell-equipped tablets and large capacity SSD (you can get 1TB for under $500 now) are more widespread, and their prices decrease, there won't be much reason to have traditional PCs or laptops. They will only become more obsolete as the push for combined CPUs/GPUs continues.

Sony's Z phones are great. Sony's Z tablets are not nearly as popular as they should be. Neither is their Tap 21 line, which is basically a giant tablet with laptop specs.

Tap 21 is Vaio. I wonder if it will be included in the sale. Sony should get that tablet into schools.