Soul of the World - the Ascension Cycle

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Rise from your grave!

I get nothing out of bumping this, and it seems as though lindz is long gone from here, but the third and final book of the trilogy just released last month, and I finally get to read them all. I only ever read the first one during the beta phase, and have held off on the reread and second all this time because I'd forget everything by now if I had. Glad I waited, because 9 years is way too much for my brain to recall all the details.

I'm just about done with the first one again, and from what I remember of my feedback comments it seems as though he fixed many of the issues that I had with one of the main characters, so that's a pleasant surprise. I'm still not a fan of her (Sarine) but she's a lot better than I remember, and most importantly she doesn't ruin the book for me. The second female, Erris, has always been just fine for me, and I like her a lot. The Native American stand-in, Arak'Jur is still easily my favorite though, as is his female companion. There is an overall story, of course, which seems pretty solid so far and has captured my interest. And most importantly, doesn't seem to be the same as every other fantasy series out there. None of these characters are stable boys that happen to be a child of prophecy or anything like that. Erris is a cavalry captain in the army, and Arak'Jur is the Guardian of his tribe, basically the protector, so they aren't some nobodies. Sarine is sort of nobody, but not really, and not like I described.

Obviously the quality could fall off a cliff in the next two books, but so far this is mainstream author quality and I'm optimistic, and I'd easily give the first book a solid 4 out of 5 stars, if not higher. I'll report back after I've read the others in case anyone cares, but I'd recommend the first one for sure.

Here's the link for the lazy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user