Space Hulk for PC, Mac and iOS

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Danish devs Full Control Studios will release the classic GW board game SPACE HULK in 2 weeks time - PC, Mac and iOS. Expansions planned etc.

http://www.spacehulk-game.com/index.html
Coming for PC, MAC and iOS

Pics
screenshot-1.jpg

screenshot-2.jpg

screenshot-3.jpg

screenshot-4.jpg

screenshot-5.jpg
Gameplay
From march, it's an early version, so, yeah:
Preorder for PC on steam here:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/24...=1_4_4__100_10

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
That's the same game (graphics wise) that I used to play on my 3DO some 15+ years ago.

...ok, they updated the graphics a little. But it still looks like the same game.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
AMBUSH

3DO wasn't turnbased was it? This is supposed to be TBS.
So this is a xcom-esque game then? I played it on PC and it wasnt turn based or at least I dont remember it being.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I remember playing the Blood Angel one during summer holidays years ago cause I was stuck at my aunt's place, spent all day playing that and Need For Speed, had the PS1 version.

I don't know about turn based though, guess I'll wait to see how it ends up being but I liked the real time aspect because you had to get your formations quickly and react to the genestealers ambushes fast since most of the time they'd kill you near instantly from the back and you turned slow as shit. In turn based I feel you lose a lot of that aspect and it's very much like any other turn based game, while it was way different from a normal FPS game in the old one.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
No, the 3DO version was a FPS. Not turn based.

I didn't actually watch the trailer, just saw the pictures linked. And they reminded me of the 3DO version.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I remember playing the Blood Angel one during summer holidays years ago cause I was stuck at my aunt's place, spent all day playing that and Need For Speed, had the PS1 version.

I don't know about turn based though, guess I'll wait to see how it ends up being but I liked the real time aspect because you had to get your formations quickly and react to the genestealers ambushes fast since most of the time they'd kill you near instantly from the back and you turned slow as shit. In turn based I feel you lose a lot of that aspect and it's very much like any other turn based game, while it was way different from a normal FPS game in the old one.
I take it you never played the board game then Pyros? The Stealers had a number of unfair advantages that kept tension high - and from what I understand this is following the board game VERY closely.

And I can see that Xarp - from a GRAPHIC standpoint it's still the same source material though, so there's absolutely no reason for stuff to look any different other than "crisper" from modern graphics. Genestealers in GWs works are still almost identical even with 2-3 revisions of models since then, and Terminators for "Space Hulk" missions are still the same ones (and even the newer armors for other applications aren't much different barring a few chapter variants).

It's a testimony to how closely the old title followed the source material that it looks similar.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Na never played the board game, and yeah I can see how there's inherent advantages like being able to spawn from ambush points, a lot more movement tiles, turning taking action points because terms are slow as fuck and shit like that, but I don't know it feels very much like any other strategy turned based game to me like Xcom or the japanese srpg ones, while on the other hand Space Hulk the strategy FPS was a very unique thing, I don't think I've played stuff like that other than maybe Rainbow Six stuff but never liked the setting so didn't play that much at all.

Not saying this is going to be a bad game or anything I just don't feel too interested in it, I would be if it was a strategy FPS though.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Heh, actually in XCom: EU terms it's like playing in buildings exclusively with only really Chrysalids as opponents most of the time (although there are hybrids in some deeper SH expansions) with roughly Titan armor level of protection that is still one-shottable by the Genies.

And to me as a longtime TBS addict, I welcome seeing more of them myself since there's been such a short supply recently - fifteen years ago when every game was a TBS I would've likely agreed with you though. But FPS with some squad support isn't a rarity these days. (Plus it would go almost head to head with the A:CM demographic, even though it was pretty horrid)

Azziane_sl

shitlord
Heh, actually in XCom: EU terms it's like playing in buildings exclusively with only really Chrysalids as opponents most of the time (although there are hybrids in some deeper SH expansions) with roughly Titan armor level of protection that is still one-shottable by the Genies.
The way you describe it makes it sound a bit simplistic and shallow. Is there no progression at all on your own guys' or the enemies strengths and complexity?

W

Wrathcaster

Been playing this for a bit now, I'm really enjoying it. Dunno how others feel about it, but overall is pretty much as advertised without any issues. Missions are decently varied although it would be cool if you got to customize your squad before a mission (not sure if this is how 3DO version was).

And for those wanting real time, same developer is coming out with a Space Hulk FPS featuring Deathwing Terminators.

fucker_sl

shitlord
that's the problem Wrath. It's an exact translation of the boardgame to the videogame, down to the exact same missions. No new mission, no customization, no mission builder. Just crappy modified DoW2 models in a low poly/low texture enviroment

this game should cost 10?, not 30. For what they giving us 30? it's a fucking ripoff and even if i'm a 40k nerd i say they can fuckoff. they wont get my money

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
that's the problem Wrath. It's an exact translation of the boardgame to the videogame, down to the exact same missions. No new mission, no customization, no mission builder. Just crappy modified DoW2 models in a low poly/low texture enviroment

this game should cost 10?, not 30. For what they giving us 30? it's a fucking ripoff and even if i'm a 40k nerd i say they can fuckoff. they wont get my money
That's GW for ya.

W

Wrathcaster

I give them money for a more traditional game close to tabletop/boardgame because I want to encourage publishers/developers to pursue the IP further. i'm willing to pay slightly high prices if it leads to companies picking up the IP for future games, as long as it's not a complete ass game, which I don't consider that to be the reality with this game. I've enjoyed it and I look forward to new games from the IP, so long as the recent releases do well enough for a publisher to make possible another.

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
Haven't really played the boardgame (I think I played whatever version of it one time like 12 years ago), but I also loved the original videogame version (literally the first CD-ROM game I ever played). Anyone think this is a game I might like?