Speed Reading - It's Mostly Bullshit (Or Is It?)

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Yeah,total bullshit. Why read something if you aren't going to understand 100% of it? I suppose if you're going for skimming or something, it might speed up reading articles.

I found this RSVP technique app from the google store:Read.

I'm messing around with using it on rerolled and it does work pretty well. I'm around 600 wpm right now and keeping 100% retention.

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Speed reading isn't bullshit, but a lot of the techniques used to maximize your WPM result in a lower comprehension rate. Chunking and removing vocalization is really important.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I don't purposely "speed read" but I do read very fast. If I'm relaxing on a beach for vacation, finishing a GoT sized book in a day (or even an afternoon) is completely feasible for me. Especially if it is a book I'm really into, the more I like a book the more I want to tear through it.

But I do either comprehend or retain less information. I can't tell you how many times I've re-read a book only to pick up something I missed the first time because I sped past it. While missing out on some things isn't ideal, it is kind of a wash because it does increase the re-readability of books for me. I pretty much revisit the entire GoT series whenever a new book is due out (so not very often) and there is still a little surprise or two hiding in there for me because I missed or didn't retain it on a previous reading.

It isn't something I do on purpose and sometimes I wish I would slow myself down but at least for fiction it ruins my immersion if I try to adjust from my natural reading pace.

iannis

Musty Nester
Not bullshit, just a technique. Works very well for some things. I don't see why in the world you would read something like a technical manual in depth. And on the other hand I don't see how you could speed read something with an aberrant structure and walk away with any sort of comprehension at all.

But there is a reason why they taught you how to write the way they taught you how to write back in 1st grade. Topic sentence, supporting sentences, paragraph break. I've always thought of it in my own brain as "scanning" rather than reading. It's what it feels like. Looking for the part that I'm interested in, comprehending it, and then that may lead me backwards or forwards in the text.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I was taught speed reading in HS. It was a required course. Not bullshit and very useful.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was taught speed reading in HS. It was a required course. Not bullshit and very useful.
A required course? That's interesting. What country do you live in? Was it a private school?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
A required course? That's interesting. What country do you live in? Was it a private school?
Private school in Monterey, CA., USA. We were taught a method in the 9th grade, that would have been circa 1970. Books were all the rage back then. (I'm old). I still use it today if I need to look something up, not necessarily if I'm reading a novel, although I can devour those fairly quickly, also.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Private school in Monterey, CA., USA. We were taught a method in the 9th grade, that would have been circa 1970. Books were all the rage back then. (I'm old). I still use it today if I need to look something up, not necessarily if I'm reading a novel, although I can devour those fairly quickly, also.
sounds like you took
Evelyn Wood (teacher) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

her system seems to be the progenitor for other systems.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Buddy of mine could knock out an ASOIAF book in a couple evenings while retaining all the details.

I am the jealoux

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speed reading isn't bullshit, but a lot of the techniques used to maximize your WPM result in a lower comprehension rate. Chunking and removing vocalization is really important.
This.

The problem is subvocalization. Whether you realize it or not, we all "say" the words aloud in our head, as if we were reading a bedtime story to our own brain. This is what makes what we view as "normal" reading speed so gosh darn slow: Your eyes can totally buzz across those lines 300 percent quicker while still delivering the same information, but your thoughts insist on dragging their feet as they bumble along, painstakingly thinking each and every word "out loud" inside your head. Using the timer to force yourself to go faster will also force you to stop subvocalizing.

5 So-Called Signs of Genius That Any Idiot Can Learn | Cracked.com
Scientific Speed Reading: How to Read 300% Faster in 20 Minutes | The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When i was learning to speed read, to me the techniques were trying to get you to STOP, reading like how you were taught 1 syllable at a time and sounding it out in your head. Then to read a word a time or chunks of words, (then chunks of sentences, then chunks of paragraphs) using whatever mixture of pen/finger focus technique to just basically forcing you to read fast with flashing words or a forced timer.