Sports Injury Question/Thread

innysoludar

Vyemm Raider
Maybe we can make this into a sports injury thread with resources/advise/experiences with stuff.

So last Tuesday (11/26) I went to my gym and tried a new exercise that I saw online from this guyBigger Wider Shoulders in 14 DAYS (With 1 DUMBBELL!) - YouTube(at about 2:50 in). I mixed it in with my 5x5 workout as I worked back, chest and abs. I did about 3 sets of 5 reps (30lbs) of the linked shoulder exercise as I was resting between what I was working for the day. The next day (Wednesday) I had a little ache in my right shoulder. Come Thanksgiving, Thursday, it intensified and now the pain that I experienced on Thursday has been persistent and I'm starting to panic a bit. As for the description of the pain:

*If 0? is arm resting pointing down.*
-The pain is not gut wrenching or anything, just annoying and on a scale of 1-10 (1 being a mild discomfort, 10 being I cant stand it) I'd say it's a 4-5ish.
-I don't feel the pain at rest, even as I'm typing with my arm close to the 60? mark I feel nothing.
-If I extend the arm away from me laterally, I barely feel the pain at around 90? and intensifies a bit until 120?.
-The front part of the shoulder hurts a bit more and starts to hurt at around 80? until about 120? when extending outward in front of me pain increases as I get closer to 120?. This is the most painful movement.
-I notice no pain if I extend my arm away from my body behind me and I can get to close to 90?.
-It's definitely not external muscle soreness but more of an inside of the arm (middle front).

Thanks for anyone that can suggest any stretches or experiences. I'm starting to panic as I typically am 100% after any slight injuries fairly quickly! I'm starting to itch to go back to the gym and I'm afraid to damage it any further.

I know, I know; I should probably see my doctor but I left my job like 6 months ago and to make a complicated story very short, I don't have insurance right now and I want to avoid having to pay a couple hundred dollars for shit I can hopefully figure out elsewhere.

I leave you women as an offering of gratitude for any advise/experience. Thanks!
rrr_img_51802.jpg
rrr_img_51803.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I like this idea, I was actually thinking of making a post here earlier today about something that's been nagging me on and off for a few years. Basically, when I've been doing a lot of activities that really work my legs out cardio/endurance wise (mountain biking, ski touring, downhill skiing), I have started to get some pain on the outside part of my knee. Only on the right side, of my right knee. It doesn't feel like it's internal to the joint, if that makes any sense, and I've never had knee problems in my life (I don't jog often, but I can jog 5+ miles without any knee pain). It seems like something else in my leg is getting tired out or exhausted, and that causes the pain along the knee. If I stop and take a break to let my leg rest up, the pain subsides quickly, but then once I start moving again it will come back as I get tired out again. The pain does not ache after the exercise, nor is there any specific soreness/stiffness associated with it the day after.

Any recommendations on what it may be, and either some stretches to help manage it or exercises to specifically target it? Other than the obvious "do squats and get diesel legs back" suggestion.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
First post, it's probably biceps tendonosis or rotator cuff tear. Only thing to do is let it rest for a few weeks.

Eomer, yours is possibly tight/strained IT band, LCL tear/inflammation, or torn meniscus. Can't really do shit for #2 or 3, but for #1 I recommend foam rolling the shit out of it. There are quite a bit of stretches you can do too.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Well you said you are unable to see a Doc so all I can say is ice and rest. Lots and lots of ice. If it feels better in two weeks keep icing and resting for another two. What is one month of your life to make sure you really don't make shit worse?

I would find a way to see a Doc though, perhaps there is a free clinic near you? Get up at 5:30 am and beat the crowd.

innysoludar

Vyemm Raider
Well you said you are unable to see a Doc so all I can say is ice and rest. Lots and lots of ice. If it feels better in two weeks keep icing and resting for another two. What is one month of your life to make sure you really don't make shit worse?

I would find a way to see a Doc though, perhaps there is a free clinic near you? Get up at 5:30 am and beat the crowd.
I'll look to see if there is a free clinic around. So it sounds serious enough to where it might be fucked up or possibly get fucked up? Damn : /

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Depends on how severe it is, and what it is. I had something almost identical, and it ended up being tendonitis (tendonosis, but doctors diagnose everything as itis for some reason). Youcouldtry to work through it, but there's a good possibility you make it worse.

Personally, in the last year, I've had a tendon issue in almost every part of my body. Left biceps tendon, left forearm, left deltoid, right biceps, right shoulder, right lower back, right glute, left calf, left achilles tendon. I've taken a week off for a few of those, but for the most part I've worked through almost all of them. The only one that's lingered is the stuff in my left leg. And the reason it has is my insistence on doing 2 squat days. When I do just one, it still bothers me but not enough to stop. When I do two days, it ends up making me take a week or two off.

I'm comfortable enough working through it just because of how often I've been injured and I feel like I have a really good idea of what should keep me out of the gym.

Sounds like a rotator cuff tear. I have the same problem. I got it pitching in baseball a couple years back. I threw the ball one day and had an incredible amount of pain. It didnt last, just when I threw the ball. Now, it hurts if I do anything with my arm above my shoulder. Rotator cuff tears can only be repaired with surgery and they never get better, only worse over time.

Renault

N00b
I would recommend not watching videos like that if you want to avoid injury.

If you are bodybuilding you don't pre-fatigue and then do a heavier weight then you could normally do even without the pre-fatigue. What that guy is suggesting is pretty much tailor made to fuck up your tendons or ligaments.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Eomer, yours is possibly tight/strained IT band, LCL tear/inflammation, or torn meniscus. Can't really do shit for #2 or 3, but for #1 I recommend foam rolling the shit out of it. There are quite a bit of stretches you can do too.
I was going to say IT band too, happens a lot with cycling.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Elurin_sl said:
Thanks, I'll look in to the IT band stuff then. Someone else had mentioned that to me, but I don't really know what it is. I don't think it's my LCL or meniscus, like I said my knees are generally in very good shape and tend not to cause me any problems 90% of the time, it's just when I'm at the point of physical exhaustion that I start getting a throbbing pain there.

Sounds like incurable, shitty knee.
haha, I had a very similar conversation with my GP 5 or 6 years ago when I was having hip problems. Scar tissue and shit in there, I think from my skating stride playing hockey they just got worn out. Basically told me that I'm good taking like double or triple the recommended dose of ibuprofen a day, at least for short periods. Otherwise not much I can do. Gay!

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I must have hit the genetic lottery in terms of joint or muscle pain. I see posts about nagging injuries and I've luckily never had anything of the sort. I've definitely pulled or strained muscles but they always seem to heal within a week.

I must agree that the lift in the OP is a fairly horrible idea.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I'll look to see if there is a free clinic around. So it sounds serious enough to where it might be fucked up or possibly get fucked up? Damn : /
I am not diagnosing you bud, just trying to provide some sound general injury advice. I have no idea what your pain thresh hold is like so you saying it is a 4-5 doesn't tell me anything. I mean some people eat pain like candy and others cry over being poked by a needle. Maybe you are a fucking badass and your 4-5 is like a 12 to most or maybe your 4-5 is like an itch to most, I have no idea.

Again, find a way to get to a doc.

innysoludar

Vyemm Raider
Taking ibuprofen, not doing much with it and seeing my doc on Thursday; $72.02 is worth it just in case. Thanks for the info/advise guys.

Profundis

Silver Knight of the Realm
This isn't a sports injury per se, as the only type of injury I ever suffered playing sports was a broken collarbone, but its something that occurs from time to time that may potentially get worse as I get older. I mean, I played catcher for one year of little league but for all the other years, I was an outfielder.

Occasionally, when I'm kneeling for an extended period of time (it happened tonight while I was giving my kids a bath), the best way I can explain it is it feels like my kneecap is popping out of joint. Usually, I feel a slight twinge before it happens and I'm normally able to catch it and straighten my leg and prevent it, but sometimes I'm not so lucky. When I have to adjust it, it doesn't hurt so much as its just generally uncomfortable and kind of numb for a short while after. I haven't looked at my knee while it happens so I'm afraid that's the best synopsis I can give. Also, it only happens to my right knee, for whatever that's worth. Again, no injury history to either leg.

Any info would be appreciated. It happens so infrequently that it's not a nagging injury or anything, just something that comes and goes and always makes me wonder what the hell it might be or what's causing it.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a ligament in your knee - the medial patellofemoral ligament - that holds the kneecap in place. It's a frail bastard, and tears very easily. If your kneecap has ever dislocated, then it's torn. Unless it's a major recurring problem, all you can really do is quad strengthening.