Squad

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Well I'm gonna check it out, I'll post up if anyone wants to play.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This one is definitely one to watch and not to play. I loaded it up and was presented with a bafflingly complex control legend for a brief moment, not even enough to attempt to memorize more than 1 or 2 commands (which I promptly forgot).

Loaded into the game and was teamkilled while adjusting sensitivity. Revived and teamkilled again. Respawned, ran for about 30 minutes and sat up behind a concrete wall listening to some fighting going on way off in the distance. Eventually shot from very nearby on the other side of the concrete wall. I looked all around and never saw anything and died. Never heard a footstep or anything indicating anything was approaching. Pretty sure I was staring directly at the direction the shots came from as well.

The end

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah, definitely wasn't for me either.

I figured out how to spawn, hoped in a truck with another guy and started driving towards the first flag. 6 minutes later we weren't even half way to the objective, way too real for me.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I picked up this game. For those who haven't played it, here is an accurate picture of what you can expect.

Spawn in, join a squad as a basic rifleman. Follow your squadleader, because you're a team player.

Get shot at from enemies you can't see. Hit the ground or go to cover. You die anyway. Respawn at a rally point. Meet up with squad leader. Try to move tactically from cover to cover. Get shot at by enemies you can't see. Hit prone or go to cover. You die anyway.

You do this for about 12 hours.

That's when you start figuring out the UI and the voice communication. Local is your squad chat for combat shit and tactics, squad is a channel exclusively for intel, logistics, and strategy. By this point you're playing a medic because at least that way not being able to see shit doesn't prevent you from making a positive impact. You begin to use your information as a medic to support your squad and your team with cross-map info which is 1000x more useful than killing enemies.

You begin dying less and often end up with the highest "score" in your squad.

Inspired by your success, you read guides on how to play the game.

Level 1: "Oh, when you're being shot at and you don't know where it's coming from, shoot back randomly, doesn't matter where. You might trigger their "suppression" mechanic and allow yourself or your squad time to escape."

Level 2: "Think to yourself "Where am I exposed to fire right now? Where would I be if I wanted to kill someone standing where I am?" That way when you start getting shot at you focus your random firing at places where the enemy is likely to be."

You start getting "lucky" kills.

Level 3: "Where do I want to go. Where are the threats / likely enemy hiding locations. Better check them first with a quick peak, then sprint my ass off to the next cover location."

You stop dying as much.

Level 4: "Check the map. Where are my teammates? Peak. See someone that isn't on my team. Call out on local "Contact north-north east bearing 041. Blue building, bottom floor." You hold your fire until they're exposed. One or two people on your team is in place beside you, and you open fire together."

You start getting kills.

Level 5: "You kill someone "I wonder if a medic is going to try to help them." You wait patiently. A medic comes out, you wait for him to "revive". You get three kills instead of just one."

You start leading your squad in kills.

You begin to work as a secondary squad / team leader organizing ad-hoc local missions. You frequent the same server, players now recognize you and start inviting you to join their squads. "Holy shit, it's Himeo, I love that guy." "Dude, drop your squad and join mine." "Himeo's in our squad? This is going to be a good game."

You get friend requests like an 18 year old cheerleader on Facebook.

-

Squad isn't a typical FPS. It's an FPS game for people who like Eve Online. It's not about getting frags it's about teamwork, information, communication, logistics, tactics, and strategy. It's also got that great early Everquest community vibe to it, because the community is small and there are only a few low ping servers with 100-500 active players who frequent each server.

The learning curve is early Eve Online levels of fucking bullshit. But, eventually you learn how to "see."

eve_learning.jpg

And you end up with a small, tight-knit community with a high percentage of active duty / former military and war-gaming nerds.

I like it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user