St. Martin

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
We stopped there for on a cruise a few years ago and went on a long boat ride/snorkeling excursion that went around a lot of the island, stopping at a few places to swim and we ate an amazing lunch at a small beachside bar on the French side. Thinking about going back for a whole week over spring break next year.

Anyone have any experience with trips there? Advice on where to stay? Is one side better? Places to avoid? Things to do?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've only been on cruises like you but the Dutch side is definitely better. You are going there specifically to stay for a long period? You must be beach people
wink.png
I get bored there too quickly.

I'd say rent a sailboat and do some island hopping, now that's fun!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It is a Caribbean third world shit hole, but it has pretty beaches. If you want to sit on the beach, eat island food, and otherwise do basically nothing, it's fine. I wouldn't spend more than a day or two there.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Where is the Caribbean is not a shithole when you get away from the tourist areas? Seriously. I've been to maybe 10-15 locations and it seems like they're all the same. From what I saw of St. Martin, it seemed less so.

The reason we were thinking we'd stay on the island, as opposed to another cruise, is that you never really get much time to explore on the excursions. Then again, my favorite part of cruises are usually sea days.

And, yes, we live in Michigan so by the time spring break comes around, we've been up to our asses in snow for a while and just want to go sit outside somewhere without being cold.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
And, yes, we did see some of the nude areas when we were cruising around. Mostly a sausage party.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Where is the Caribbean is not a shithole when you get away from the tourist areas? Seriously. I've been to maybe 10-15 locations and it seems like they're all the same. From what I saw of St. Martin, it seemed less so.

The reason we were thinking we'd stay on the island, as opposed to another cruise, is that you never really get much time to explore on the excursions. Then again, my favorite part of cruises are usually sea days.

And, yes, we live in Michigan so by the time spring break comes around, we've been up to our asses in snow for a while and just want to go sit outside somewhere without being cold.
St Thomas
Puerto Rico is "ok", very nice compared to St Martin for example
Key West
Caymans
Turks and Caicos is also a bit nicer

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider

Barbados. Like any place it has bad areas, but it's mostly good. I actually just did a job where I had to go to 12 different islands in that area
wink.png
While I will not brag about Jamaica in general I stayed at probably one of the coolest hotels I've ever stayed in my life, would go back x100.

Also cad is right. It's generally shitty anywhere in the Caribbean. You go for the beach and that's it.

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
I did St. Martin on the Dutch side a couple of years ago for a long weekend (4 nights). We were definitely bored at our part of the beach by the 3rd day so we rented a car to tool around to the rest of the island - agreed with all of the other points mentioned above. A whole week is definitely too long to spend there.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
St Thomas
Puerto Rico is "ok", very nice compared to St Martin for example
Key West
Caymans
Turks and Caicos is also a bit nicer
St-Barths is by far the best by a long mile. I'll come straight out and be racist and tell you why. The island is entirely run by white French people, including people that work in service. It also looks like a town on the coast of France rather than your typical Caribbean shithole where everywhere but your resort looks like a 3rd world hovel after a hurricane hit.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
St-Barths is by far the best by a long mile. I'll come straight out and be racist and tell you why. The island is entirely run by white French people, including people that work in service. It also looks like a town on the coast of France rather than your typical Caribbean shithole where everywhere but your resort looks like a Nigerian town.
thats not racist, just an accurate picture lol.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I went to the french side/topless beach back maybe when I was 18 or 19. I remember I got into the ocean and was body surfing and shit in there. Then a group of old people came in and stood like 10 feet away and all took off their pants. I didn't know I had it in me to set a world record pace of free ocean swimming but I won the fucking gold that day.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
St-Barths is by far the best by a long mile. I'll come straight out and be racist and tell you why. The island is entirely run by white French people, including people that work in service. It also looks like a town on the coast of France rather than your typical Caribbean shithole where everywhere but your resort looks like a 3rd world hovel after a hurricane hit.
Haven't been there, adding it to the list!

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Didn't see Saint Lucia mentioned. I don't know fuck all about it, I just know my parents went there 10 years ago and didn't come back saying it was awful (which is rare for my dad). Agreed though that most places in the Caribbean will get pretty old after a full week and are shitholes outside of the resort, unless you're doing some other stuff to keep busy. I thoroughly enjoyed the Bahamas when I went there on a couple trips when I was 17/18 on scuba trips. But that's probably because we hardly set foot on land:Scuba diving liveaboards Blackbeards Cruises

billymain

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i just took my girlfriend to st martin in May which is slow season..she loved it, i've been before but enjoyed myself.. though i suppose it really depends what youre into as far as recommendations. from maine so i can understand the getting away from being buried in snowy bullshit.

first off if you're staying a week you'll have to rent a car. get a hyundai hatchback and boobascoot all over the island. driving around is an adventure in itself. the locals drive like assholes so be sure to get insurance..and be prepared to take a crash course on driving like a madman as you'll pretty much have to if you want to get anywhere. avoid driving anywhere if you can from 2-4 or whenever school gets out.. the streets are all narrow and you'll be stuck for hours with no way to pass ( unless you rent a scooter, very dangerous though) and god forbid you bang out of a rotary too soon or too late, good luck getting straightened out!..this ruined an afternoon for us when we thought it'd be a good idea to check out phillipsburg, the capital where the cruise ships come in and its tourist central...avoid like the plague, unless you're into that..shopping, jewelry store after jewelry store etc..

we stayed on the french side in grand case which is the restaurant capital of the island if you're into good meals every night of your vacation. the "lolos", or local bbq pits, aren't very awesome and theres about 5 of them crammed all into 1 little area. they all serve the same type of low quality picnic food out of chafing dishes and they'll hustle you as you walk past to try and get you seated. i'd avoid them. some of my favorites were la tastevin, la cottage, ocean 82... plenty more. outside of grand case i didnt eat much but Pat's roadhouse in simpson bay is where to go. the owner Pat's a funny ass frenchman so sit at the bar if youre into chatting up locals. they make a good homemade ginger rum in a big plastic container you can buy bottles of for $20 or something.

as far as hotel recommendations Hotel L`Esplanade was the best vacation stay i've ever had. possibly due to my proclivity to smoking the reefer, and the ease of procurement afforded to me at said establishment.. though i dont want to blow up anyones spot too much on the specifics of that.. its a little boutique hotel with only 24 rooms, a resident stray cat that will come visit you, or go away if you dont like cats, a tamarind tree on the grounds i happened to use to make fresh vacation pad thai (spicy food is not popular on the island...), aloe plants growing on your balcony in case you burn your cock, pool area has maintained grass lawn and stepping stones so you dont burn feet on hot concrete, free yoga classes, free shuttle down to restaurant alley if you dont want to make the 5 minute walk, beautifully manicured grounds and all up on a hill overlooking the west side of the island for prime sunsets, far away from the 3rd world riff raff aforementioned in the thread. the couple that owns it also have another smaller hotel in grand case l`petit hotel and another in st barths. i wouldnt recommend any all inclusive deals or corporate type resorts. once you get there liqour is dirt cheap at the stores and not worth the added price of an all inclusive that limits food options also.

if you're into nightlife the main spot for that is maho bay. theres a nightclub called tantra which is... a nightclub. if you go during the slow season the bartenders are extra appreciative of tips because they make full wages and i dont think the locals usually tip much or at all and theres not as much tourist action. i was tipping a modest amount similar to how i do back home say $2-3 a drink and the girl started giving our whole party of 4 free rounds of shots all night. the strip club is nearby and outside even is a fine place to find some nose candy that does not disappoint. you can do some bar hopping in simpson bay as well.