Star Ocean: The Divine Force

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

Some of the music:

Skeptical after the last one. But who knows! I can't really not play a star ocean game, it's just not me. I'll play it no matter what.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Looks like Tales of Arise and it's getting a PC port so a definite buy. Even better if it ends up on Gamepass =O

Available on​

PS4 (COMING 2022)
PS5 (COMING 2022)
Xbox Series X (COMING 2022)
Xbox One (COMING 2022)
PC (COMING 2022)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I had forgotten all about the Star Ocean series. This came out of left field for me.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man hopefully it is good. Skipped the last one also b/c it sounded like nothing but a dumpster fire. Movement in Ys IX was really cool and worked well.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Granblue Fantasy Relink is still the JRPG I'm most looking forward to, but this does look surprisingly good considering what utter shit I&F was. 2022 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for the genre.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This voice acting is tri-ace quality. In other words, it's gonna suck.

Why am I going to buy it though.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This voice acting is tri-ace quality. In other words, it's gonna suck.

Why am I going to buy it though.

For whatever reason I feel like Star Ocean is like some alternate universe to what I think Phantasy Star should have turned into. So I usually play them all too.

• 1Solidarity

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
The graphics are such shit. Sure hope they polish the world a fuck of a lot more than they have. And the art for the characters is shit tier. I've played and like this whole series, but this may be the one that breaks me from this IP if they don't clean it up.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like an even shittier version of ff7 remake. VA reminds me of an indie game.

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
For whatever reason I feel like Star Ocean is like some alternate universe to what I think Phantasy Star should have turned into. So I usually play them all too.

Yeah, I agree, Star Ocean has had the longevity that Phantasy Star should have had.

I've never played any Star Oceans, but 1 and 2 were always on my radar as a kid and still are. Seems like it's been hit-or-miss ever since. This new one looks visually high-res at least.

Never played any Tales Of games either, but I will at the very least give Berseria a go.

Most of my JRPG-playing for the past ten years has been limited to Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Persona (3/4/5) without much room for anything else. It used to be my favorite genre by a mile, not sure what happened.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Star Ocean 3 is good...

4 is kinda hit and miss but is kinda close too the first 3 but other then that *shrug*

5 was a fucking shit show, they tried some new things that did not work at all.

6 I'm holding my breath right now guess we will see..

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I agree, Star Ocean has had the longevity that Phantasy Star should have had.

I've never played any Star Oceans, but 1 and 2 were always on my radar as a kid and still are. Seems like it's been hit-or-miss ever since. This new one looks visually high-res at least.

Never played any Tales Of games either, but I will at the very least give Berseria a go.

Most of my JRPG-playing for the past ten years has been limited to Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, and Persona (3/4/5) without much room for anything else. It used to be my favorite genre by a mile, not sure what happened.
Should check out Arise if you want to try Tales, although Berseria is pretty ok too but Arise actually looks like a modern game so that helps to get into it. Overall I really like Tales games, but they're definitely more "gameplay games", the stories are extremely anime trope-y stuff, but the combat mechanics are usually great fun. Berseria has one of the best if not the best caster character I've played in a game for example.

I haven't played any of the Star Ocean, they always come with mild reviews so I never really bothered. Maybe I'll check one out at some point but it feels bad starting one that even fans of the series say "eh, it's alright".

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

For Star Ocean, 3 is quite good. Far better voice acting than what the trailer for this game showed. Good story and characters, can get the PS4 international version which is a directors cut. Star Ocean 2 is supposedly the "best" one, but I haven't played it. That goes back to SNES type graphics though and is very dated.

For the Tales series, there are a lot of them. Some vastly better than others. I'd recommend Arise, Vesperia, Berseria and Abyss. Just finished Berseria again yesterday (did it on PC when it launched, finished it on Playstation now).

Vesperia might be hailed as the best one in the Tales series and just a generally excellent game. I haven't finished Arise, but I'd still recommend Vesperia first. Abyss is the most dated of the ones mentioned, but still plays just fine. Can't comment on story for Arise since I haven't finished it, but Vesperia, Berseria and Abyss all have decent stories as well.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Vesperia is my favorite but was also my first Tales, back on GameCube.

Star Ocean 3 was great, no idea how many hours I poured in to that farming mats for platinum only to realize I had missed some recipe somewhere and could not get it (it has been a while but that’s my memory of the situation). 4 was okay but I did one play through and couldn’t tell you anything other than Lamelle (?) was hyper annoying and as per usual the VA was hilariously terrible.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Star Ocean 3 is good...

4 is kinda hit and miss but is kinda close too the first 3 but other then that *shrug*

5 was a fucking shit show, they tried some new things that did not work at all.

6 I'm holding my breath right now guess we will see..

I found SO1 and SO2 to be the best. I personally liked the twist in SO3 and found it also an excellent game. I HATED SO4, however, I really enjoyed battles, which is why I'm the only one in the world (that's known) to have 100% it on the PS3 and Xbox 360 legitimately.

SO5 I could barely get through. I suspect SO6 is going to be as bad as 5, sadly.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It's been awhile so I don't remember 1/2 I do remember that 3 had a part of it .. but other then that *shrug*

4 I liked, other then Lymle Kay every line was driving me up the wall near the end.. I might go back and finish out the platinum on it.. Only issue I'd have too start over as that PS3 drive died 3 months ago =/

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Ugh these VOs are SO BAD. Despite that, please be good, please be good, please be good.

Why can't tri-ace get voice actors worth a damn.

Here's more stuff about the game.

Last edited: