Star Trek: Discovery

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
28 mins later, vid unavailable. damn.
I think it's restricted by country.This mirrorshould work.

That is some horrible CGI. My god that is bad.
They've said it's rough "promotional" work and doesn't reflect what it'll look like on the show.One of the producers saidthe ship design isn't really even finalized at this point.

It's also worth noting that Fuller confirmed the show won't be episodic, but will have an over-arching storyline, and that he's trying to invoke more of the optimistic tone of Roddenberry. It's also set in the Prime timeline (ie not the movie universe).

Fuller stated that the new series needed to remind the audience of Star Trek's message of hope and optimism for the future, and continue to be progressive and push boundaries. Fuller believes that we have to celebrate a progression of our species, but that we need a little help. The new series will not be episodic, but will instead tell stories like a novel chapter by chapter.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Trek Movie article_sl said:
When asked about the increased representation of the new series Kadin said that women and LGBTQ characters (on and off screen) will be important to Star Trek Discovery.
LUL okay

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
They better still make time for some holodeck episodes in this TV-novel!

Also I will be bummed out if this is set any time pre-nemesis. fuck prequels

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
That... looks like shit.. a mashup fed/klingon ship. Doesn't look like it was a ship created post tng/ds9/voy era, considering all the sleek looking ship designs during those eras.

In a packed panel during San Diego Comic-Con, the name of the new Star Trek series-which, in the grand tradition of Star Trek, is also the name of the ship-was revealed. In a press conference after the panel, executive producers Bryan Fuller and Heather Kadin gave just a few more details about the show.

First off, Fuller answered the question of whether the Discovery, just revealed, was based on Ralph McQuarrie's '70s designs for the Enterprise. Fuller said it was, but "to a point that we can't legally comment on it until [our legal team] figures out some things."

Kadin was asked about being a woman working behind the scenes of the show and what that meant, and she answered that she takes inspiring women seriously and that Fuller does, too. "As a female, you'll see, when you start to hear more about the series, that that's a big part of it," she added.

Fuller put to rest the speculation about which universe the show was set in, saying "It is in the prime timeline." He couldn't say exactly when in the timeline would be set, however.

"I don't think we're supposed to say yet because there areso many new things about this series," Fuller said. that "There's a lot of new and exciting things we're doing with this show, that we [don't] want to [over]saturate you."

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Most speculation I've read is that it's set somewhere post-Enterprise, pre-TNG. Considering they're going for a design from the 70s for the ship and wanting a tone more similar to the original, that seems to make the most sense. I do wonder how the Roddenberry style optimism will do this time around though. I recently heard that one of the things attributed to the improvement of TNG in the second season (aside from Riker's facial hair) was that they started moving away from the futuristic utopian tone Roddenberry wanted by introducing the Romulan and having more conflict in the show.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuuuuuuuuuuck

This show is sounding worse and worse. What a great opportunity they have with a wonderful IP and they are totally going to waste it by cramming some type of weird, forced, multicultural, polygender, LBGTQRTYASDF SJW horseshit down our throats.

Having that type of thing in the series is perfectly fine. In fact, one of the cool things about the Star Trek universe is that it always managed to handle relatively progressive social situations without making a big deal about it. Part of the reason it worked so well is BECAUSE they didn't make a big deal about it.

But the minute you try and force those SJW topics on your audience by making them a main pillar of your series is the minute your series turns into pedantic, preachy, mushy, bullshit.

Goddamnit give me a worthy successor to TNG, not an after school special set in space
frown.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I for one can't wait to have the central theme of every episode be a character's self identification or sexual preference.

"Captain, did you not know I'm a trigender pansexual bearkin with Trotskyist leanings? If you continue to mistreat the people of Cervixus IX like this I won't follow orders and I'll report you to Admiral Lesbos!"

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Well they could just simply a strong female first officer filling the Riker role but most likely will be a female captain or something. Either way could be good as long as it's well written or well acted.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm okay with a tranny captain as long as sHe is hot and sexes up hot alien chicks. One thing lacking after Kirk was the sex symbol captain laying the pooniverse. Picard had the sexy but not enough action. Won't tolerate another Janeway who was neither. But hey, if our sexy captain ladyboy has a donger to help with decision making and alien skewering along with a cute face and nice rack, then so be it.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
This is based on concept images done for an unproduced mid 70s Star Trek movie by McQuarrie :Ralph McQuarries concept art for a Star Trek movie in 1976-1977

From the music tempo and what we has been hinted as the timeline for the series it seems that it will be post Star Trek VI at the start of the Federation / Klingon alliance period. In that context perhaps the ship is itself a hybrid of Federation and Klingon design meant for a combined exploration mission?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Well they could just simply a strong female first officer filling the Riker role but most likely will be a female captain or something. Either way could be good as long as it's well written or well acted.
So basically Kira.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is based on concept images done for an unproduced mid 70s Star Trek movie by McQuarrie :Ralph McQuarries concept art for a Star Trek movie in 1976-1977

From the music tempo and what we has been hinted as the timeline for the series it seems that it will be post Star Trek VI at the start of the Federation / Klingon alliance period. In that context perhaps the ship is itself a hybrid of Federation and Klingon design meant for a combined exploration mission?
That concept art is pretty cool actually. The Star Wars similarities are really clear.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuuuuuuuuuuck

This show is sounding worse and worse. What a great opportunity they have with a wonderful IP and they are totally going to waste it by cramming some type of weird, forced, multicultural, polygender, LBGTQRTYASDF SJW horseshit down our throats.

Having that type of thing in the series is perfectly fine. In fact, one of the cool things about the Star Trek universe is that it always managed to handle relatively progressive social situations without making a big deal about it. Part of the reason it worked so well is BECAUSE they didn't make a big deal about it.

But the minute you try and force those SJW topics on your audience by making them a main pillar of your series is the minute your series turns into pedantic, preachy, mushy, bullshit.

Goddamnit give me a worthy successor to TNG, not an after school special set in space
frown.png
I could be wrong, but Bryan Fuller doesn't strike me as the type to bethatsanctimonious. I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't have any of that streak within him. He's talked before about how he doesn't write characters with a gender, he just assigns it later - hence why so many characters of his have sexually ambiguous names: George in Dead Like Me, Jaye and Aaron in Wonderfalls, Chuck in Pushing Daisies, etc. And with recently making Sulu gay and Fuller being gay himself, it wouldn't shock me if there are some LGBT characters. But I haven't yet seen anything of his that smashes you over the head with any sort of agenda. I don't doubt that Discovery won't tackle these today's social issues - like you said, that's always been part of Star Trek - but I'd be surprised if it's a central tenet of the show. I think it's too early to draw that conclusion, at least.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I could be wrong, but Bryan Fuller doesn't strike me as the type to bethatsanctimonious. I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't have any of that streak within him. He's talked before about how he doesn't write characters with a gender, he just assigns it later - hence why so many characters of his have sexually ambiguous names: George in Dead Like Me, Jaye and Aaron in Wonderfalls, Chuck in Pushing Daisies, etc. And with recently making Sulu gay and Fuller being gay himself, it wouldn't shock me if there are some LGBT characters. But I haven't yet seen anything of his that smashes you over the head with any sort of agenda. I don't doubt that Discovery won't tackle these today's social issues - like you said, that's always been part of Star Trek - but I'd be surprised if it's a central tenet of the show. I think it's too early to draw that conclusion, at least.
I hope you're right. Like I said, I could care less if that shit is represented within the show, but if they make it one of the show's main foci the show is going to be unwatchable- to me at least. And I'm being selfish because I like the IP and really want a TNG successor.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I mean they did black Captain and woman Captain at times it was a social issue. I would not be the least surprised if they make a lesbian Captain or something now.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I love DS9 and that had plenty of SJWish themes in various episodes. So I am not really worried about SJW taking away from the show..

..Unless they go full retard and include fat people. cause fuck that shit, there are no fat crew members in my star trek universe.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Most speculation I've read is that it's set somewhere post-Enterprise, pre-TNG.
That's a bummer to me, I was hoping for something set post-DS9's Dominion War, with a damaged Federation in an uneasy peace with Kardassians / Romulans / etc.

The furthest the shows have gotten is the few bits in Voyager (ugh, you made me remember Voyager) with Barclay back home, right? Kind of a bummer they don't move forward.

Edit: I mean, I understand the logic - Enterprise barely crawled to four seasons, and now this is just a netshow, so get the max audience by trying to get both TOS and TNG fans, but it has the same issues all prequels do.