Star Trek: Discovery

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Heard it's the new Universe. I think that's a really good idea. Let the original Roddenberry one die in peace with it's creators, unless Harlan Ellison is planning on writing.

lordvanduu_sl

shitlord
So I had trouble understanding that article. Is the show going to be on normal TV and that CBS All Access thing, or only on the CBS All Access?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Wait and see. They obviously want to use this as a flagship show for the service but 2 years is a long time. If the new movie makes a billion dollars you can bet your ass it will be on whatever nets the most cash. Whether that's TV or not...who can say? We're fast approaching the point where streaming shows are far more lucrative than the ad revenue generated on broadcast TV

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
So I had trouble understanding that article. Is the show going to be on normal TV and that CBS All Access thing, or only on the CBS All Access?
As I understand it, it will be an on demand thing. Which is weird to go only streaming, though i guess they are making a push to that as they charge for that service.

Edit: Or what Jait said
smile.png

Terial

Trakanon Raider
Yup, a bit confused too, will I have to pay $6 a month to watch this when I already pay for cable? :/

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I think they're starting to hedge bets on the implosion of the cable/satellite model and more people cutting cord and going a'la carte. But as mentioned, I'd give good odds it will be over the air as well by the time it happens.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Any Idea when this is set? Really holding out for a Post Voyager/DS9 World, Like Star Trek: Wars. I really dont want to see no original series prequel shit like enterprise or them having it set in the new universe before TNG.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
You hear a lot of stupid shit when you work and live where I do. Shit like "Hey I know a secret. Kylo Ren built his own lightsaber." Yeah, I fucking know. We all know. Don't all people who use them?

So what I've heard is there's a new Star Trek trilogy of films planned, and this series will take place in between them with Starfleet as the center of attention (edit: Becoming the Federation we know) with starships filled with guest cast members who feature for an episode, and help setup the vast storyline the later movies will feature.

Take it with a grain of salt. For all I know it's a Ferengi show.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll be prepared for a flashy T.V. show that looks very good but will have some pretty shallow stories. We'll have to wait and see.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wait and see. They obviously want to use this as a flagship show for the service but 2 years is a long time. If the new movie makes a billion dollars you can bet your ass it will be on whatever nets the most cash. Whether that's TV or not...who can say? We're fast approaching the point where streaming shows are far more lucrative than the ad revenue generated on broadcast TV
That would erase Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Original Star Trek series and all the movies except the most recent two, for no reason. The recent movies remade the original series and so had a reason to retcon history in order to make the old time line not have a preordained future. It is likely the new series will be set some years after the Next generation timeline.

If that is the case then dropping the recent Star Trek movies into a separate universe and picking up new series with Star Trek lore intact would seem to be the wise choice. It is star trek after all and if you really want to use recent star trek movies for something then a convenient teleporter accident can always be arranged to pull characters across from the other universe.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)
On one hand the later Next Generation films and Star Trek Enterprise were miserable abominations that tanked the franchise and Star Trek Open Bracket 2009 Close Bracket was a refreshing and fun sci-fi adventure. On the other hand I don't think this show will be a return to the quality writing and story telling of the Next Generation television series or DS9.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I want a gritty ST show ala Star Trek meets Spartacus. Lots of alien titties and disintegrations as well as over the top CG space battles. Yes.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
As long as Lindelof isn't involved, I consider it an improvement. We'll see how Abrams does with the new Star Wars, but I'm starting to consider his involvement as a somewhat negative too. Basically what sukik said.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It is 100% online-only for their new All-Access premium service. Seems to be they are using this as a means to push adoption of such a thing in much the same way that Star Trek: The Next Generation did for first-run syndication in the late 80s.

The silly bit being, of course, that it is far more likely that people will just pirate the fuck out of this rather than pay $6 a month for yet another online service...either that or buy the episodes ala carte from Amazon or whoever.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I'm with Qhue. Unless a beancounter proves otherwise, this is clearly meant to be a flagship show for the new service. You people (yes, "you people") are the reason why. We all told HBO we cancelled 5 years ago because we only watched it for Game of Thrones. They noticed. Everyone noticed. Welcome to a la carte tv shows. Probably the best way for me, I only turn on my TV once a week for sports and pay for the full fucking thing.

spronk

FPS noob
Pretty sure the TV show will be on both CBS network AND on their whatever-digital-new-thing is
Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

"This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before - directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access," said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager - CBS Digital Media. "We've experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series."

Not much hints on what the timeline is going to be though:

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

I'd be cool with a 20-years-past-TOS/movie. I imagine they want it on Enterprise but don't want to use Kirk/Spock to keep the movie and TV shows seperate. I guess they could go on a different ship too but it would be kinda dumb to always talk about Kirk/Spock/Enterprise but never show them.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Taken from the press release :

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network's digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.
So U.S. people get to see the first episode on the air and then have to use digital whereas international types get it on TV and other platforms (aka iTunes etc)