Star Trek: Discovery

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I dunno, the first season started off fairly formulaic (new lack of resource -> find resource -> cylons show up -> win but lose people -> speech and sex scene -> repeat). Baltar was absolutely insufferable as a character. The mysticism drug trip bullshit that Starbuck had was just unnecessary. Season 2 was definitely the best thing about that show and there were standalone episodes that were amazing, especially the ones involving making harsh decisions and to watch the people try to keep a civilization running on fumes. But overall I felt it was a messy soap opera held together with good acting and good production/editing. That and amazing but too infrequent space battles.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Come on - I love me some Stargate, but strip away nostalgia and I think BSG (especially before it went weird towards the end) was absolutely a better show by more or less any metric, as much as you can objectively rate things like that.

BSG did something rare for a scifi series and actually really tapped into the zeitgeist of the whole post-9/11 era, as well as creating an engaging cast of characters and emotionally involving story arcs for them, whereas Stargate, as much as I enjoyed it, was really generic "a bunch of heroes fight evil aliens in space (aka: Canada)" show, outside of the whole "ancient aliens" premise and the ability to throw in some decent humor here and there without cheesing up the show any further.
I don't know if you read my comment wrong. I was trying to say BSG was a good show that had a lot of success, so a lot of sci-fi tried to copy that success with poor results.

Groundbreaking new ideas come around so little, and the laziness of Hollywood is pathetic.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
now with embed!
smile.png

can't wait for this, feels like TV has been missing a show for too long now

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Star Trek WATCH: Teaser Trailer for New Star Trek Series

Teaser trailer doesn't show anything, but still exciting. I am afraid the CBS all access requirement is going to flop and just turn this into another "most pirated show of all time".
They would have been better off just placing this on CBS, unless by access limiting this, they can show green chicks with no cloths. Yes this will be pirated just as fast as Game of Thrones is.

iannis

Musty Nester
BSG was easily the better show production wise but it got so preachy and ridiculous by the end it was really a disappointment.

Without going into it too much I thought the pacing of the show was more like a soap opera and every once in a while they'd go "oh shit, we've been doing this for 6 episodes" then just throw crazy stuff into the mix. It was still a great show but it had problems just like SG.
BSG was pretty good up until starbuck died in the gas giant / nebula thing to the soundtrack of Jimmy Hendrix.

And then it just got weird.

I still liked it, I still watched the whole thing (even the mid season net extras). But man, they completely ran the fuck out of steam for the main plot. I did keep watching it just to see how the character arcs would end up though -- they had a decent hook there. And I liked the last episode a lot. Basically what Azrayne said. They hit a point where you could almost SEE them go, "Uhh.. we didn't really think this through".

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have watched every Star Trek series except Voyager, will watch this too. Looking forward to it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I watched like half of the first season of voyages. Then they did a neelix episode where every third word was "lung". That's only a mild exaggeration. It was no more than every seventh.

I noped out and never looked back.

I'll give this one a shot. I even liked some episodes of enterprise, when they didn't do the time travel garbage.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just watch Future's End b/c it is funny to see Ed Begley Jr and Sarah Silverman. Scorpion is good b/c it is the Borg and first Jeri Ryan. Year of Hell was pretty good for some pew pew and explosions.

That's about all I can remember. There was a Doctor episode or two worth a damn, maybe it was the one with Broccoli.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
I'm looking to start my kids off watching Star Trek finally (ages 7 and 10)
Tonight we will watch Star Trek - Wrath of Khan (skipping Star Trek - The Motion Picture) as their first ever star trek experience. (Hopefully they like it, not even knowing who Kirk and Spock are ... i've had them watch other shows from the 80's with no issues)

However here is what i need help with.
I want to watch all the shows and movies almost in the same order they were released.
Meaning:
Khan
Search for Spock
etc...etc...
but i want to add in the TV series in this as well, starting from TNG and up.
But i can't seem to find a time line that says something like... TNG seasons 1 through 4 then Star Trek Generations Movie comes out, then continue with season 5 and 6 then first contact etc... etc..
does anyone have any idea what the timeline is for a mix of the movies and the shows mixed?

Thanks!

Cybsled

Are you leaving out Enterprise? That one is tricky as hell, because it dips into the new show territories a few times.

TOS > all the old Trek movies before Generations > TNG > Generations (after season 4 TNG I think) > DS9 > First Contact after Season 3 DS9 (Pretty sure that is when Defiant and Worf show up) > Voyager pilot before the full on Dominion War I think? But it is far removed so it doesn't really matter much because most of it is post DS9 in the scheme of things. Have your kids skip that dumb hippy young planet one, that one sucked ;p In fact, pretend the last 2 TNG movies didn't exist.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
TNG ended in 1994 and Generations came out in 1994, so I don't think you'll have any issues with continuity and watching the movies after finishing the series.

Generations takes place in 2371 (or stardate 48632.4) whereas the end of TNG "All Good Things" takes place in 2370 (or stardate 47988.0).

This site may also be helpful:

List of Star Trek episodes, chronological

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
All TNG movies come after the series finale. They crash the Enterprise D in Generations and D is still in All Good Things.
All you need to find is when DS9 started because there was some slight cross over with TNG.