Star Trek: Infinite

faille

Molten Core Raider

Theme alone in a grand strategy game makes it a buy for me. Looks like it's more or less just a reskin of Stellaris, which is a tad disappointing but it doesn't appear to be overly expensive either, while being more developed than a mod would be.
One thing I like is starting in an existing universe, as opposed to from scratch. It's one area where I particularly prefer EU4 over Stellaris.

Released on the 13th of october!

*edit, didn't put the month in, still a little while away it seems

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Huh weird.. there's already a full blown star trek mod for stellaris since 2016. Wonder if there would be enough difference from the stellaris to make it worth it...

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Released today. Waiting for some playthrough videos and reviews before I fully commit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There was already a game like this about a decade ago. Was alright, but not special aside from the factions having some unique win conditions (Feds could win through peace, Romulans with an ally, ect).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There was already a game like this about a decade ago. Was alright, but not special aside from the factions having some unique win conditions (Feds could win through peace, Romulans with an ally, ect).
It's using the same engine as Stellaris and looks pretty damned close to the huge Star Trek mod that was made for it. It's close to 10 years in development for the mod, that is still getting updates:

• 1Like

faille

Molten Core Raider
Bought this but haven't had a chance to deep dive into it.
This seems to be a reasonable review / overview of the game:

The gist I'm getting is that is probably better to pick it up on sale, unless you've a big trekkie fan.
I must admit that the dumbing down of mechanics compared to stellaris is actually a plus to me since I've struggled to get back into Stellaris and relearn the game with the recent patches. I also really like having a preset universe, along with mission trees which I think are awesome in eu4.

Will report back later once I've actually played it myself

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Bought this but haven't had a chance to deep dive into it.
This seems to be a reasonable review / overview of the game:

The gist I'm getting is that is probably better to pick it up on sale, unless you've a big trekkie fan.
I must admit that the dumbing down of mechanics compared to stellaris is actually a plus to me since I've struggled to get back into Stellaris and relearn the game with the recent patches. I also really like having a preset universe, along with mission trees which I think are awesome in eu4.

Will report back later once I've actually played it myself
I happen to be a big fan of TNG, so this might be a Day 1 buy for me.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have yall played the Star Trek: New Horizons mod for Stellaris? There has been a huge amount of time put into developing it.

It's a static galaxy with all 4 quadrants, with anything that was known about the Trek universe is in the game. They also put a whole bunch of events into the game that are straight from the shows, from the Original Series to Enterprise. You can also play fully fleshed out Borg, Dominion, Cardassians, Klingon, Romulan, and a few others. The game actually starts in the Enterprise timeline and you have to forge the Federation (can start as Humans, Vulcans, and Andorians). You can also play a bunch of small factions, but they are less fleshed out because the show didnt give a lot to go on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

faille

Molten Core Raider
Have yall played the Star Trek: New Horizons mod for Stellaris? There has been a huge amount of time put into developing it.

It's a static galaxy with all 4 quadrants, with anything that was known about the Trek universe is in the game. They also put a whole bunch of events into the game that are straight from the shows, from the Original Series to Enterprise. You can also play fully fleshed out Borg, Dominion, Cardassians, Klingon, Romulan, and a few others. The game actually starts in the Enterprise timeline and you have to forge the Federation (can start as Humans, Vulcans, and Andorians). You can also play a bunch of small factions, but they are less fleshed out because the show didnt give a lot to go on.
Nice!
I remember dipping my toe into it in its early days, so glad to hear it's been fleshed out. Will probably give it another try once I grow bored of ST: Infinite. As I said, simplicity is a bit of a higher priority for me atm, but glad there's a rich and complex option out there also

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Nice!
I remember dipping my toe into it in its early days, so glad to hear it's been fleshed out. Will probably give it another try once I grow bored of ST: Infinite. As I said, simplicity is a bit of a higher priority for me atm, but glad there's a rich and complex option out there also
I agree with this. It's been so long since I played Stellaris that I think the over-complex nature of what all Paradox games turn into would likely turn me off if I'm just looking for a Star Trek experience. But if this game doesn't progress as far or as fast as I would like, it is good to know a fuller experience is out there.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Anyone try this yet? Would like to pick it up, but a little hard on cash lately and don’t want to waste it if it sucks.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Anyone try this yet? Would like to pick it up, but a little hard on cash lately and don’t want to waste it if it sucks.
played a few games so far but none to completion. Probably wouldn't recommend at this stage.
I think you need to be a fan of stellaris and star trek to really enjoy it. Even though it's an old branch, it's still fundamentally stellaris. If you've never played Stellaris, you'd be better of trying that I think, or just waiting for whichever one has a free weekend or is on special. As pointed out above, Stellaris already has a great Star Trek mod to get that fix in if you've already got stellaris.
I definitely wouldn't say this game sucks, but I don't think there's too much compelling about it to pay full price, especially if money is tight.

• 1Like