Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

The Black Hole visual as it consumed a brown dwarf was awesome as well

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
The Black Hole visual as it consumed a brown dwarf was awesome as well

Yup-- except the gravitational potential difference between Pike's right armchair rest and his left armchair rest would probably be enough to stretch him into a spaghetti string...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup-- except the gravitational potential difference between Pike's right armchair rest and his left armchair rest would probably be enough to stretch him into a spaghetti string...
You wouldn't get spaghettified out in the accretion disk.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
That is an interesting scientific thought experiment, the Gorn ship got "crushed" because they wanted to give off old Submariner movie/show vibes ala Das Boot but I don't think thats exactly how gravity would work as you get closer and closer to a singularity - would it really "crush" stuff?

Spaghettification is definitely a thing as you get close due to tidal effects as Igarthy says (all points of your body would feel different levels of gravity pulling you apart), Neutron Star is a famous short story by Larry Niven dealing with the same thing. There's also inertial rotation, spin would create different effects as well especially as most black holes are spinning at insane speeds with high angular momentum so its possible different parts of your body could get flung around at different accelerations.

Don't really think its something to nitpick Star Trek over, what we saw is fine and really just a starting point to get young kids to be interested in the subject and do their own research, which is exactly what happened to me when I was growing up watching scifi.

ouch, wonder what happens to kids whose first exposure is Discovery or PIcard

joz123

Potato del Grande
ouch, wonder what happens to kids whose first exposure is Discovery or PIcard
kill me now barney stinson GIF

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

That is an interesting scientific thought experiment, the Gorn ship got "crushed" because they wanted to give off old Submariner movie/show vibes ala Das Boot but I don't think thats exactly how gravity would work as you get closer and closer to a singularity - would it really "crush" stuff?

One point of clarification: The Gorn ship got crushed in the Brown Dwarf. They wanted to dive deeper towards the core, so presumably it was from the pressure.

The brown dwarf was having material from it being siphoned into the black hole, so they were right near each other.

• 1Like

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Thought last episode was pretty good, almost movie like quality, and I like how they gave the Gorn a predator type vibe. People can nitpick the science all they want, but fuck man, this series is 1000% better than picard and discovery so far.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
episode was entirely great w/o rebecca romjin, not drummer is the best new trek character in forever.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Having #1 just be a side character and only in the episodes for a few minutes works out great, gets to showcase the new members. It's also refreshing to have a show that isn't shoving the LGTBBQ shit down the viewers throats.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
This is definitely the best show since Enterprise. Enterprise surprised me a bit with how well it actually turned out. This feels a bit boring to me. Recycled plots, just stuff we've seen before, I do like the graphics and the music tho even without John Williams. Maybe it will take the first season to get started, like Enterprise because at least there is some character building unlike Discovery.

I would like to see the section 31 show as well.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm not bored at all, really great fun body swap episode with a great B-plot with Enterprise Bingo. I thought T'Pring was played by the same actress who played Shiva on The League but nope, a younger even hotter indian chick I guess. It was an interesting thing about Empathy with the aliens too, reminded me a bit of TNG's Darmok at Tanagra episode.

Loving the whole cast so far, beyond the main line crew Nurse Chapel is killing it every time she is on screen

• 1Like

Cybsled

Chapel was all ready for Spock to dish on what he did in the body lol. Farscape still holds the title for “most realistic depiction of what would happen if people swapped bodies”

I did like the Diplomatic b story. You’re right that it had shades of Darmak: really unorthodox diplomatic/ culture. They even gave a hint saying their species was empathic, so Pike figuring out the “trick” and how he explained it after was good story telling

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
the more you watch snw, the more you think "hey maybe i should watch that season where pike took over discovery"

but then you realize you also have to watch discovery

mystique and not drummer was surprisingly not cringe, maybe theyre working off some mother daughter angle

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
love this attention to detail

also i don't think it was a full season of pike on discovery, i honestly can't remember too much of it but it felt like it was only 3-4 episodes where Anson Mount and Spock were featured. but yeah not worth watching Discovery at all, just rewatch this and older Trek

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Wow!!!

They knocked that one out of the fucking park! Perfect amount of fan service combined with a great story (that also paid homage to a number of TOS episodes).

It was funny, touching, witty, smart and amazing!

Best episode yet.

PS-- Jess Bush is super appealing too. What a great piece of Star Trek history this is.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I haven't consistently watched a Star Trek show since TNG, and haven't seen even a minute of Discovery, but I'm really enjoying this one. I definitely wasn't sold on the crew at first, but they're really starting to hit their stride and I'm enjoying all of them. I'll never be fully on board with anyone playing Spock after Nimoy, but Gregory Peck's grandkid is serviceable.

Anyway, this is how to pay homage to a classic series. They've got a lot of the story beats down pat, but they don't pummel you over the head with callbacks and attempt to mesmerize you into complacency via weaponized nostalgia. Hopefully they can keep that balance going.