Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Memes are way smarter than anything you're spouting. They aren't TRYING to enhance or re-imagine. They are trying to destroy. But you go on tilting at your little windmills, big boy.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why do all the new Star Trek series suck? I

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I watched some of it, the show is bad because the story sucks and doesn't make sense. And it's just not interesting.
You should read this:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
True. Ultimately the fault lies with the writers. DS9 was blessed by the fact it had good actors and good scripts through most of its run. 7 of 9 and Doctor were both easy to write stuff for I suppose: Both are trying to gain humanity/acceptance, be it in different ways. It's been forever since I've watched Voyager in any great amount, but it's hard to think of any standout development for the other characters. I mean the characters did develop, but then they sort of stagnated. Be'lana starts as a Maqui with a chip of shoulder/authority issues, but it always felt like they worked through that pretty fast and then they didn't seem to know what to do with her beyond Klingon loathing and her relationship with Paris. Paris is pretty much the same arc as Be'lana (authority issues, dad issues, gets better). Kim's defining feature is he was shy and could seemingly never get laid, they totally wasted his character. Chikotee was written pretty blandly...the Maqui stuff gets resolved and tried to force a 7 of 9 relationship that didn't feel natural. Tuvok didn't change a whole lot. Janeway even didn't seem to change all that much either.

It was a big change from DS9 where the characters were the main attraction most times to Voyager, where "problem of the week" was the main attraction.
DS9 was blessed with hardcore ripping off Babylon 5. That is why it is completely unlike anything Star Trek has ever produced before or since.

• 2Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Voyager was just plain bad. Fuck all of the photons they fired, fuck all of the brand new ship every episode, fuck all the time jumps. It was just a bad show. Everything after that is utter shit on a stick.

Cybsled

Enterprise was getting pretty good starting in season 3 and 4, working towards the Romulan War. It's a shame we never got to see that.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I watched Picard, and I'm just about through Discovery. Sorry to no one, I enjoyed them both. Regardless of all the posturing everyone is doing because sjw or whatever, it's still a space centered show with fun technology. Perhaps I'm easily entertained, I don't watch much television. I loved TNG and especially DS9. I don't think these shows are of that caliber, but they are still enjoyable space flicks.

Go ahead and hate. It's an honest statement.

• 1Garbage

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Voyager was just plain bad. Fuck all of the photons they fired, fuck all of the brand new ship every episode, fuck all the time jumps. It was just a bad show. Everything after that is utter shit on a stick.

If Voyager was just bad that would be one thing but it's occasionally really good. You can be plodding along with anomaly of the week episodes and then hit something that's just excellent. It's almost tragic.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So I watched Picard, and I'm just about through Discovery. Sorry to no one, I enjoyed them both. Regardless of all the posturing everyone is doing because sjw or whatever, it's still a space centered show with fun technology. Perhaps I'm easily entertained, I don't watch much television. I loved TNG and especially DS9. I don't think these shows are of that caliber, but they are still enjoyable space flicks.

Go ahead and hate. It's an honest statement.
I think the main problem I have with them is I just don't understand the point. Like, TNG took TOS and expanded on key themes, Voyager... tried to do a lot of things. Discovery was another prequel, and I could rant all day about how much prequels suck as a concept (Better Call Saul being the exception that proves the rule), but the main reason I didn't like it is that it didn't push the ball ahead in a way that I wanted it to. I wanted more TNG, or like build on what TNG did. Instead it was a retread and we're supposed to be involved in this conflict that we know ended. If I'd watched more of it, maybe I would have gotten into it. Picard though was just really strange to me. Watching the first few episodes and trying to find the character from the show in that guy he's playing, I don't get it. I don't know who that show is for.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
DS9 is so damned good...one of the few Treks with actual character growth. Just got watching through the whole series again after not seeing it in probably a decade. Word of caution: Just like TNG season 1, DS9 season 1 is kind of painful (the one episode in the 1st season with Kira and the war criminal was pretty solid, though, and it is a major character moment for her going forward). Season 2 picks up more and it goes from there.

Show really picks up when Worf joins.

• 2Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I think the main problem I have with them is I just don't understand the point. Like, TNG took TOS and expanded on key themes, Voyager... tried to do a lot of things. Discovery was another prequel, and I could rant all day about how much prequels suck as a concept (Better Call Saul being the exception that proves the rule), but the main reason I didn't like it is that it didn't push the ball ahead in a way that I wanted it to. I wanted more TNG, or like build on what TNG did. Instead it was a retread and we're supposed to be involved in this conflict that we know ended. If I'd watched more of it, maybe I would have gotten into it. Picard though was just really strange to me. Watching the first few episodes and trying to find the character from the show in that guy he's playing, I don't get it. I don't know who that show is for.

I hear what you're saying, but what TV is better? Stupid comedies with dumb dads and bitchy moms? Comedy with the edgy gay character? This is still better.

• 1Like