Star Wars Battlefront II

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I bet all the other companies doing mostly cosmetic things are happy that EA is bringing this shit down on all of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I bet all the other companies doing mostly cosmetic things are happy that EA is bringing this shit down on all of them.

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if the EA CEO commits suicide by 2 loot crates to the back of the head.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
lol, good job EA.

Hawaiian State Representative Chris Lee announces action to combat predatory practices in gaming, singles out EA | PowerUp!

Yea.

I hope all those people that pre-ordered learned their lesson now. They won't, but I hope they will. Don't pre-order. Don't early access. Companies anymore change shit at the last minute or don't release a good game anymore and it's just standard practice, but as long as people keep paying for it..they'll keep doing it. Hiding most of the game stuff behind random DLC. Yea I can see how that's kinda like gambling...only you don't get money back.

I always kinda figured it would be a matter of time until someone took this DLC / loot crate random thing too far and someone would go...you know we should regulate this.

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The gambling authorities of Belgium have now decided that loot boxes are gambling, informed their secretary of justice Koen Geens who is now pushing for an EU-wide ban on lootbox gambling.

If this goes through, Lootbox games have to be marketed ages 18+, and we all know how much the big publishers *love* marketing 18+ titles.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The gambling authorities of Belgium have now decided that loot boxes are gambling, informed their secretary of justice Koen Geens who is now pushing for an EU-wide ban on lootbox gambling.

If this goes through, Lootbox games have to be marketed ages 18+, and we all know how much the big publishers *love* marketing 18+ titles.

I hate regulation.

Also fuck you if you make me need to support regulating your ass because you can't help but put shitty products out.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

More EA scumminess.

PvZ was such a great game. So good.

EA buys PopCap

PvZ 2 steaming pile of microtransaction gatekeeping shit piss.

That's when I stopped buying anything with an EA logo on it.

BONUS: I should also mention that once EA bought Popcap, they rejigged the original PvZ1 that had been out for years to add microtransactions.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
I hate regulation.

Also fuck you if you make me need to support regulating your ass because you can't help but put shitty products out.

This is going to be messy because the last thing you want is lawyers going. What is DLC and is it appropriate for under 18/21. Now that I think about it..this could probably be it's own topic here.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel for the companies that only have cosmetic upgrades that will get swept away in this bullshit. I don't even know if we need regulation. I think the market's reaction was pretty good. I guess only time would really tell.

• 1Like

Dis

Confirmed Male
If States try to regulate this, it is going to be a shit show. This legislation will directly affect ActiBlizz and Steam along with any mobile game makers as well. I believe in minimal regulation in my government, so I am not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the CEO for various companies are leaving hate or sarcastic "thanks for nothing asshole" messages EA's CEO. Maybe some huge changes coming to micro-transactions if this legislation gains any traction in the big states.

I have to say some of you guys are amusing, conservative in politics, but very liberal leanings when it comes to your video game hobbies =P

• 1Solidarity

Dis

Confirmed Male
I feel for the companies that only have cosmetic upgrades that will get swept away in this bullshit. I don't even know if we need regulation. I think the market's reaction was pretty good. I guess only time would really tell.

Cosmetic does not mean they are harmless, actually can be much worse:

Skin gambling - Wikipedia

• 1Picard

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I have to say some of you guys are amusing, conservative in politics, but very liberal leanings when it comes to your video game hobbies =P

You really don't understand the people on these forums, do you?

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If States try to regulate this, it is going to be a shit show. This legislation will directly affect ActiBlizz and Steam along with any mobile game makers as well. I believe in minimal regulation in my government, so I am not sure how I feel about this. I wonder if the CEO for various companies are leaving hate or sarcastic "thanks for nothing asshole" messages EA's CEO. Maybe some huge changes coming to micro-transactions if this legislation gains any traction in the big states.

You never did say who you were on Mith Marr.

goishen

Macho Ma'am

If states try and over-regulate this it's going to be a problem. In other words, I see this going down one of two ways.

1. States regulate gambling laws inside of games, and let the state judges and internal departments handle these claims. This would allow studios that don't put MTX in their games a free (or freer) ride.
2. States try and over-regulate this, and say, "Hey, prove to us that your game doesn't have any MTX content, and then you'll be allowed to sell in our state." This would be extremely bad, because then the game developers would have to go through 50 hoops, and that's just in the US.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cosmetic does not mean they are harmless, actually can be much worse:

Skin gambling - Wikipedia

No doubt about that. I'm not disputing that skins can feed into gambling addiction just as much. However on that side of the issue; other people's inability to control themselves doesn't affect my gameplay so I'm fine with it. On the other hand I say fuck EA

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.

No regulation IMO. The marketplace will let it's will be known via the performance of the game.

People that buy an EA game are disappointed and got screwed over. Wow news at 11. Wasn't EA voted worst company like 2 years in a row?

People buying this game KNOW what they're in for, it's not even a surprise or shouldn't be. It's like walking into a shady car dealership and getting screwed over and over then getting surprised and pissed off when it happens again.

As an aside, I did start a separate DLC regulation thread here for discussing this particular issue in general.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
No regulation IMO. The marketplace will let it's will be known via the performance of the game.

People that buy an EA game are disappointed and got screwed over. Wow news at 11. Wasn't EA voted worst company like 2 years in a row?

People buying this game KNOW what they're in for, it's not even a surprise or shouldn't be. It's like walking into a shady car dealership and getting screwed over and over then getting surprised and pissed off when it happens again.

As an aside, I did start a separate DLC regulation thread here for discussing this particular issue in general.

Disagree. To my knowledge, the loot gambling is not listed anywhere on the box or promotion. It is not factored into the ESRB rating.

Many companies make it nearly impossible to return physical copies of games. Therefore it is physically impossible for your average unsophisticated consumer to know about it before purchasing.

• 1Like

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Disagree. To my knowledge, the loot gambling is not listed anywhere on the box or promotion. It is not factored into the ESRB rating.

Many companies make it nearly impossible to return physical copies of games. Therefore it is physically impossible for your average unsophisticated consumer to know about it before purchasing.

I do agree to a point. Example. EQ's next expansion is going to launch here in a bit. If you PRE ORDERED the expansion already and don't want it. It's practically impossible to get it back without them blocking your account.

You can't cancel a preorder after finding out that it the expansion will suck because of the patches that went live this last week. Of course nobody knew that all the nerfs were going to happen but just canceling a pre-order will get them to shut down your entire account? That's not cool.

There should be something but there's a difference between applying appropriate warnings etc and full blown regulation because once you start down that road it never ends.