Star Wars Novels (Keep your EU shit out of here!)

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I liked the comment that Triple Zeros matrix was created
Doctor Aphra is probably the leading candidate for a Star Wars character that originated in the comic books showing up in their own movie. I know I'd rather see a movie centered on her than a Boba Fett flick.
Agree about Boba Fett. She's a more compelling character by far. Her parallels to Indiana Jones were pretty funny, then when she met Han Solo I was grinning like an idiot heh. If they went the Marvel route with SW, I'd love to see her Netflix series.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They're really trying to show the Galactic Civil War from the perspectives of front liners on both sides of the conflict. We get shades of it in Battlefront:Twilight Company, even more in Lost Stars, and now an entire book dedicated to it.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I'm through New Dawn, Ashoka, and Lost Stars. You guys were right, Lost Stars was fantastic. I really dug the Imperial side of the story, great stuff in there. Even got a little choked up when I started reading the chapter that's depicted on the cover.

Ashoka was pretty good as well. Her lightsaber scene was awesome and very fitting for her character.

Not sure what I want to pick up next. Thinking Tarkin. Going to wait just a bit before diving into Aftermath.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Tarkin was pretty solid. Catalyst was a good read as well and really added to Jyn, Galen, and Krennic's characters in Rogue One. Oh and Dark Disciple was very good too, but I'm pretty biased as Ventress is one of my favorite characters out of Clone Wars. Glad you liked Lost Stars, I'm thinking about giving that another read.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

The thing about James Luceno; the guy can write Tarkin dialog. I couldn't help but hear Peter Cushing's voice in my mind's ear as I read it. He just nails the character so well.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
The Star Wars: Republic Commando video game was my favorite Star Wars spin off. I really enjoyed the Republic Commando series Karen Traviss wrote.

Then a new cartoon show came out, and suddenly Karen's books weren't cannon and could never be cannon (not even in the EU). So, they dropped her series.

Still salty about that.

Hard_Contact.jpg
Star_Wars_Republic_Commando_Triple_Zero.jpg
True_Colors.jpg
Traviss_-_Star_Wars_-_Order_66_Coverart.png
Traviss_-_Star_Wars_-_Imperial_Commando_-_501st_Coverart.png

Last edited:

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Still salty about that.

I agree with you. Great books and I'm still hopeful they can be canon. So far nothing Disney has done has really touched the clone wars.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
As someone that loved A LOT of the EU (until the crazy solo kids shit), is this new shit good enough to offset the "Fuck this I'm old and liked the way it was"?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
As someone that loved A LOT of the EU (until the crazy solo kids shit), is this new shit good enough to offset the "Fuck this I'm old and liked the way it was"?

It still feels weird to me. The books that are the weirdest are the ones that include leia and han when they're doing things they didn't do before (such as Leia NOT being head of state), what I would call the 'main' story. The 'side' stories are quite well done and enjoyable though. If you're a comic fan and used to alternate universes, you probably won't have the same problem I do.

The new stories made me realize how fucking crazy the old EU got.

Royal

An anthology of Star Wars short stories will be coming out in October helping to mark the 40th anniversary of the franchise.

from-a-certain-point-of-view-cover.jpg

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing about James Luceno; the guy can write Tarkin dialog. I couldn't help but hear Peter Cushing's voice in my mind's ear as I read it. He just nails the character so well.

Luceno and Zahn were pretty much the only two whose books for the EU I generally liked.

Royal

Lost Stars is going to be adapted into a web manga by LINE that will be available online for free, starting in early May.

Lost-Stars-Manga.jpg

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
I've had some solid reads out of this forum's recommendations (like The Black Company for instance) but I got burnt hard by you guys with Lost Stars. I read it last year and I'm still salty. I really wanted to like this book, so confident in purchasing it I even got the hardcover. What a let down this book was. It's my own damn fault, because I bought into the whole "It's classed as Young Adult but it's really not and anyone can enjoy it". No, it is the epitome of YA and fits squarely alongside Hunger Games, Divergent teenage bullshit. Don't let anyone tell you different. High School me wouldn't of minded, but present day me was frustrated as fuck.

I'm nearly 30 and after watching the OT on VHS as a little tacker I greedily gulped down the prequel kool-aide when it came along because hey, it's STAR WARS! It took a couple of years to learn just because it's got Star Wars on it, doesn't mean it's good. With this book it started off with little shit that made me wanna force choke a bitch at every dumb decision and by the end I was hoping the main characters formed a suicide pact taking everyone else with them. I wasted a birthday gift by requesting The Phantom Menace for PlayStation ages ago and that game was a better experience than this book.

The idea of using ancillary character's perspective on the big events is cool and I'd like to see a well versed, mature take on it - but this isn't it. Funnily enough I read 'Nation' by Terry Pratchett recently, a stand-alone unrelated to Discworld and only after the fact did I discover it was classed as a YA book. While reading it never crossed my mind. That's how you pull off a good YA novel. It's not all bad news though, I donated my copy of Lost Stars to a High School library nearby. Ultimately I'm not the target audience and I hope they enjoy it more than I did.

Royal

Yeah that's gonna happen sometimes. Star Wars has a large fan base and contrary to what some people claim, there is some variety in the preferences of those fans. Sure there are some that will gobble up anything with the SW name on it and ask for more but they aren't the majority (though there is certainly a lot of them).

So not every recommendation is gonna land with everyone. I didn't care for the Thrawn books for example (sacrilegious, I know). I read the first book in the trilogy because of how many people seemed to love them and thought it was meh. Started the second book and it started getting harder to pick it back up and keep reading about a third of the way through so I quit. I have better things to do with my time than to force myself to read something I'm not enjoying, Star Wars or otherwise.

Last edited:

Royal

The Guardians of the Whills novel is due out next week though some people have gotten their hands on it early. It has lots of passages in it that are supposed to be from the Journal of the Whills that might not have much to do with the story of the novel itself but could be indicators of what is to come in TLJ.

Two passages spoiled for size:

There is a single word that might be a clue as to why Luke seems to be disillusioned with the Jedi Order in that first trailer:

klKTVN0.jpg

LMZ8mVi.jpg

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
apocryphal? So Luke believes the Jedi code is false? Or am I reading too much into it?