Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

iannis

Musty Nester
Of course it's just their opinion. That doesn't mean they're wrong, man! But in that deconstruction they bring an analytical way of thinking about the movie that most people, outside of an academic study of the source, wouldn't think about applying.

If you watch more than Mr. Plinket reviews the guys actually do shit on themselves when they get a little overzealous with a critique of whichever director (except Adam Sandler). They know they're Pro-Am. They're busting on the studio system as much as anything else.

But if all you've watched is Plinket reviews then yeah, you're right... but the schtick is that the character really does go balls deep. But bear in mind they only did Plinket for Iconic nerd movies, Star Wars and Star Trek. And I think maybe Paul Blart Mall Cop... because he deserves no better than plinkett.

They actually give more positive reviews than negative. Even to shit you wouldn't think they would possibly review in a positive light. Some real just popcorn stinkers they'll both go, "Hey man, whatever. It's dumb, it has flaws, but I enjoyed it more than anything else I've seen in the past 2 months."

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, you can say whatever you want about red letter media, but the moment plinkett asked who the main character of episode 1 was, all of a sudden it hit me how spot on their criticisms were.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, Plinkett stuff is mostly just funny but I thought his breakdown of the sheer shit plot line of episode 1 was pretty spot on. I never realized until seeing it from another point of view that Qui Gon really wasn't the amazing Jedi my childhood had made him out to be.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Of course it's just their opinion. That doesn't mean they're wrong, man! But in that deconstruction they bring an analytical way of thinking about the movie that most people, outside of an academic study of the source, wouldn't think about applying.

If you watch more than Mr. Plinket reviews the guys actually do shit on themselves when they get a little overzealous with a critique of whichever director (except Adam Sandler). They know they're Pro-Am. They're busting on the studio system as much as anything else.

But if all you've watched is Plinket reviews then yeah, you're right... but the schtick is that the character really does go balls deep. But bear in mind they only did Plinket for Iconic nerd movies, Star Wars and Star Trek. And I think maybe Paul Blart Mall Cop... because he deserves no better than plinkett.

They actually give more positive reviews than negative. Even to shit you wouldn't think they would possibly review in a positive light. Some real just popcorn stinkers they'll both go, "Hey man, whatever. It's dumb, it has flaws, but I enjoyed it more than anything else I've seen in the past 2 months."
Whelp, a spot on Iannis post. What are you, adult?
biggrin.png

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Are you specifically saying that you like the Midi-Chlorians explanation?
Sure. It gave a quantifiable, testable, scientific even, explanation for why some people were more Force sensitive than others. I see no problem with it whatsoever. It doesn't diminish the "mystical-ness" of the Force for me at all. I actually appreciate the explanation. It made it more tangible and real.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
yeah, you can say whatever you want about red letter media, but the moment plinkett asked who the main character of episode 1 was, all of a sudden it hit me how spot on their criticisms were.
Nope, you got fooled again. Smoke and mirrors. There are plenty of great stories without a strong singular main character. Pulp Fiction comes to mind. This is NOT a necessity, though he wants you to believe it is. This is a case where he creates an imaginary problem to fit his desired outcome, and then "AHA! You see??" He sets the goal posts ahead of time to fit his criteria that he already knows aren't being met, so he can show that he's right. But it's his criteria in the first place that are bullshit and not necessary. See past the charade.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Uh. Yes, certain types of movies do need a main protagonist, or worded differently, sufferimmenselyfrom not having one. Any Star Wars movie made thus far (and likely ever will be made) falls into this category.

Not really sure why I'm engaging you though. Keep on, you beautiful mind, you!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sure. It gave a quantifiable, testable, scientific even, explanation for why some people were more Force sensitive than others. I see no problem with it whatsoever. It doesn't diminish the "mystical-ness" of the Force for me at all. I actually appreciate the explanation. It made it more tangible and real.
This is a contradiction. You are saying that it added a tangible, scientific background to base the force off of, and then saying that it didn't reduce the mystical quality, those things don't go together. Saying you appreciated the explanation is one thing, but it by definition reduces the mystical nature of the force.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Didn't they just do that to show that Anakin was supposed to be the most powerful as far as the force goes?

Couldn't they have just had him actually do bad ass stuff instead? I've blocked most of the prequels out, but did he even do anything all that special force-wise?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nope, you got fooled again. Smoke and mirrors. There are plenty of great stories without a strong singular main character. Pulp Fiction comes to mind. This is NOT a necessity, though he wants you to believe it is. This is a case where he creates an imaginary problem to fit his desired outcome, and then "AHA! You see??" He sets the goal posts ahead of time to fit his criteria that he already knows aren't being met, so he can show that he's right. But it's his criteria in the first place that are bullshit and not necessary. See past the charade.
Its been awhile but I'm pretty sure I recall the Plinkett reviews mentioning Pulp Fiction as an example of how a movie can not have a protagonist and still work, and how that was very much not applicable to the kind of movie the prequels were. I also think you imagine that we all saw the RLM stuff and then decided to bandwagon hate the prequels. The reality is that most people though they sucked already long before seeing them and the Plinkett reviews just elucidated all the reasons we couldn't put into words as well.

Anyway, weren't we supposed to STFU about the prequels or get banned? Who started this?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Didn't they just do that to show that Anakin was supposed to be the most powerful as far as the force goes?

Couldn't they have just had him actually do bad ass stuff instead? I've blocked most of the prequels out, but did he even do anything all that special force-wise?
"Couldn't they have just <insert any logical, effective idea here> instead of <insert any scene in the prequels here>?"

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its been awhile but I'm pretty sure I recall the Plinkett reviews mentioning Pulp Fiction as an example of how a movie can not have a protagonist and still work, and how that was very much not applicable to the kind of movie the prequels were.
Its in the very first review, pertinent part starts about 2:10 and goes for a few minutes then segues into the "who's the main character" thing that was mentioned earlier. Doesn't specifically refernce PF but mentions Tarantino as the type of director who can pull it off, since he doesn't make basic ass fun action sci-fi movies for a broad audience!

khalid

Unelected Mod
Much like Tanoomba thinks everyone watched the Thunderfoot video and was brainwashed into hating Anita, Edge seems to think everyone first watched Plinkett's review and then started hating on Star Wars.

Sterling

El Presidente
Most people that like the prequels even hate the Midichlorians thing. Edge is a pretty extreme outlier. Probably explains his username.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If he's that much an edgelord I can only imagine he's breaking terms of his parole by going to a movie theater with children.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
The MtDNA shit was just his attempt to move Star Wars from Fantasy to Sci Fi. Am I wrong?