Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
i automatically disqualify the opinion of anyone who says this movie was as bad as the prequels, that pretty much puts you into brain damage territory
lol.... i'll agree with that. I think the next films will help or hurt the opinion of VII.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Says he grew up loving Star Wars. Spells it Hon. Alright man, we're listening.
Clearly a typo. He was referencing the lesser Solo.

RonSolo-82490.jpg

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm glad you guys got a kick out of all of that. I rewatched it again last night and again I missed entire parts of it somehow.
If this was a standalone Sci Fi I would be all up on this. I love Sci Fi. I love ALL Sci Fi, and this would rank up there as entertaining. I just felt let down this was "Star Wars" Sci Fi. I really expected better given the budgets and things on the line.
Looking at it, it appears they designed this movie for the people who didn't grow up on Star Wars and to bring them into the fold. I get it, I understand. I just don't think it would capture the heart of a kid today that the old ones did back then and for that part I am sad.

Heres hoping #8 is better.

PS I really do have a Yoda and maybe some other figures in a box in my closet from the 70s.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
It'd be practically impossible for a new Star Wars movie to ever capture the "heart" of a kid today in the same way that the originals did. There are bright flashy screens everywhere now, with endless content immediately available at all hours of the day. Star Wars in '77 came out of nowhere and kicked the shit out of most people. Look at the popular films leading up to that point, especially the ones made during the 70s. If Star Wars was just coming out today, it'd still be a neat movie (and an above average one), but not the massive cultural event that it was nearly 40 years ago, when almost no one had so much as a VCR at home, never mind a big screen TV with surround sound with all kinds of high-budget movies streaming to the thing.

Royal

Star Wars was the EQ of sci-fi (for the lack of a better term) movies. The landscape of movies has fundamentally changed to the point that nothing can replicate what Star Wars did in that genre. Much like EQ and MMO's.

Caliane

what a strange thing to say. so many elements of that could be unpacked. I think I will simply go with, you greatly overestimate EQ's relevance even within the MMO market, nevermind gaming in general.

"MAYBE" you could have said World of Warcraft. But even then I am not certain WoW had that much of an impact on Gaming as a whole.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
what a strange thing to say. so many elements of that could be unpacked. I think I will simply go with, you greatly overestimate EQ's relevance even within the MMO market, nevermind gaming in general.

"MAYBE" you could have said World of Warcraft. But even then I am not certain WoW had that much of an impact on Gaming as a whole.
2001 A space odyssey was EQ. Star Wars was WoW for the MMO market.

I get what you're saying, both those movies had impacts well outside of sci-fi; and the MMO impact in general gaming was probably lesser (You could make the argument it revolutionized the concept of online play, but between Diablo, Quake and Counter-Strike, I think everyone knew Online play was the future anyway. While for movies, 2001 and Star Wars for effects, was unheard of, I believe. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a massive movie buff.)

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I get what you're saying, both those movies had impacts well outside of sci-fi; and the MMO impact in general gaming was probably lesser (You could make the argument it revolutionized the concept of online play, but between Diablo, Quake and Counter-Strike, I think everyone knew Online play was the future anyway)
No, just no. 2001 A space odyssey is more like UO.

Caliane

I get what you're saying, both those movies had impacts well outside of sci-fi; and the MMO impact in general gaming was probably lesser (You could make the argument it revolutionized the concept of online play, but between Diablo, Quake and Counter-Strike, I think everyone knew Online play was the future anyway. While for movies, 2001 and Star Wars for effects, was unheard of, I believe. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a massive movie buff.)
The landscape of movies has fundamentally changed to the point that nothing can replicate what Star Wars did in that genre.
the thing is, this statement was correct. Starwars changed the business of movies. Not just effects. It did that as well.. But it changed marketing, it changed toy sales, it changed contracts with actors, etc. And yes, again, with it ILM was created, THX etc.

I don't know you can pinpoint any one game that had that kindof impact. The NES itself possibly. Doom possibly. (Multiplayer, ftp/shareware, and 3d) And certainly not EQ. lol.

2001 is defiantly UO.

EQ's sci fi comparison is probably Star trek honestly.
totally over shadowed by Starwars. Antiquated. its fans are super niche who treat it like gospel. not remotely as good as its fans think it is.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
I took Royal's statement more as a comment on the emotional response/wow factor to the original Star Wars being similar to that of EQ, in that those who were there at or near the beginning of them will likely never have a comparable experience again.

Obviously EQ was not nearly the unstoppable juggernaut within the gaming industry that Star Wars was within the film industry, but both were unique and singular experiences for the audiences that embraced them early on. I don't ever see another MMO sweeping me up like EQ did, nor another movie doing so like Star Wars did.

Royal

I took Royal's statement more as a comment on the emotional response/wow factor to the original Star Wars being similar to that of EQ, in that those who were there at or near the beginning of them will likely never have a comparable experience again.

Obviously EQ was not nearly the unstoppable juggernaut within the gaming industry that Star Wars was within the film industry, but both were unique and singular experiences for the audiences that embraced them early on. I don't ever see another MMO sweeping me up like EQ did, nor another movie doing so like Star Wars did.
That's exactly what I meant. Poorly worded perhaps. I used EQ because of the history of the board and the familiarity many of us share from that experience. It was other games for other folks.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I disagree that the first Star Wars captured children's attention because it came out in 1977. At the moment I'm writing this, my 3 and a half year old is watching A New Hope and he loves it. I think where you can draw a comparison to EQ is that through incredible coincidence, a bunch of people came together at the right time and made a product that was more than the sum of its parts. Star Wars 4-6 are fucking magical and I think why they capture old and young minds alike is because of a classic story, fucking amazing art design and breakthrough special effetcs, earnest direction and acting and maybe the best movie music of all time.

I don't see my kid having that much fun watching episode 7. That said, I think it's a very good movie and I'll watch it a bunch of times. However I don't think you can do a movie that's so popular with both adults and young children today because entertainment for adults has to be gritty and realistic now, keeping up with the way more cynical world of today.

I'm hoping for a better story for episode 8, I think they got a lot of things very right for this one. Just keep the fucking "diversity" out of it. The agenda pushing is becoming a bit too obvious now with Rogue One and it's getting on my nerves.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't see my kid having that much fun watching episode 7.
Because he's going to ask 'daddy why did you make me watch the exact same movie again?'

I also like that because the principals aren't composed entirely of white dudes, clearly an agenda is being pushed.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'm hoping for a better story for episode 8, I think they got a lot of things very right for this one. Just keep the fucking "diversity" out of it. The agenda pushing is becoming a bit too obvious now with Rogue One and it's getting on my nerves.
Women are half the population in real life and likely half the population in the SW universe. Why is a female character so offensive to you? Most lead roles being dudes doesn't reflect reality. Is it because that status quo for lead actors is changing a little bit and you can't identify with it? I don't get it. And there's like one black dude in each film (at least of any importance). That's hardly tilting towards overrepresentation.

Why the hell does it matter if the people can act?

GeneralF

Women are half the population in real life and likely half the population in the SW universe. Why is a female character so offensive to you? Most lead roles being dudes doesn't reflect reality. Is it because that status quo for lead actors is changing a little bit and you can't identify with it? I don't get it. And there's like one black dude in each film (at least of any importance). That's hardly tilting towards overrepresentation.

Why the hell does it matter if the people can act?
First of all, in any movie ever, when you get a woman kicking a man's ass, unless it's a super-trained woman vs a normal dude, it always breaks my suspension of disbelief. It's simple logic. Main character is a kick ass mary sue young woman two movies in a row? Okay. Also let's check out the new characters in the two new movies (btw I think every actor in force awakens killed it except for daisy ridley):

Rey: A girl.
Fin: Black dude.
Poe: Latino dude.
Kylo Ren: White Guy/Bad Guy
General Hux: White Guy/Bad Guy
Maz Kanata: Played by black woman
Snoke: Played by White Guy, Bad Guy

Rogue One (going by actor names):

Felicity Jones: White Girl
Mads Mikelsen: White Dude/(rumored) Bad Guy
Donnie Yen: Asian Dude
Ben Mendelsohn: White Dude/Bad Guy
Forest Whitaker: Black Guy
Diego Luna: Latino

Those are the first listed on the imdb page. I don't know what role Alan Tudyk is playing. Did you notice anything? Add to that how Star Wars boss said "absolutely we must have a woman direct a Star Wars movie". I'm not exaggerating or imagining anything. I guess to the general public it doesn't matter that they're pushing a progressive agenda, and I understand that, especially since those are mostly good/great actors. But having followed Gamergate from the start I guess the SJW shit gets on my nerves.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
That's a lot of thought/typing around an issue I couldn't give less of a shit about. If the characters are compelling and well acted, why give a flying fuck? Especially with regard to Star Wars, a girl beating up a few dudes is just silly, but the little green midget picking up a spaceship is all good? Ok.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
If you have purchased the Blu-Ray, I highly recommend going through the Bonus DVD and watch the behind the scenes, journey of the Force Awakens chapters. Very cool stuff in my opinion.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's kind of silly to criticize Rey's kicking ass when she obviously was being helped by latent Force ability. I'd argue it's stupid that what should be a Force novice beat Kylo Ren, but that's a nerd argument, not a progressive agenda argument. I don't know about the Rogue One character but it would be super fucking stupid if she is force sensitive. It did look like some hand to hand fighting but she also had a blaster, which is an obvious equalizer. In any case, mismatched people win fights all the time, even guy on guy. I can see where it can be jarring but, jesus fuck, Rocky Balboa beat Ivan Drago. Who complains about that 50 pound, 9 inch difference?

In any case, it's unfortunate that you feel so oppressed by a female lead. I tell ya, you give these bitches an inch and there they go trying to take an equivalent mile. It's so rare to find a film with a white male good guy lead these days. I can only hope a film like that will be made again in my lifetime, before I pass.

GeneralF

The white knights are coming to the rescue!

That's a lot of thought/typing around an issue I couldn't give less of a shit about.
I'm sorry I wrote too many words in your thread bro. Have a tylenol.

In any case, it's unfortunate that you feel so oppressed by a female lead. I tell ya, you give these bitches an inch and there they go trying to take an equivalent mile. It's so rare to find a film with a white male good guy lead these days. I can only hope a film like that will be made again in my lifetime, before I pass.
I have no problem with female leads, except when they kick dude's asses as it breaks my suspension of disbelief. Also Mary Sue characters are stupid. Just let it out and call me a sexist bro, I know you want to, it's gonna feel so good.

Anyway I won't answer anymore on this topic, this forum has enough SJW threads as it is without derailing this further.