Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The planets destroyed in TFA were essentially nameless "Rebel homeworlds", meanwhile Alderaan was home for Leia, her family, and the core of the rebellion. Even Vader pulling her close when the Deathstar fired had double meaning when you find out she's his daughter. Regardless of whether either of them were aware of that at the time. Speaking of which, how did Vader know Luke was his son, and Leia not (his daughter)? That unknown subtlety is heavily missing from all SW post originals.
Not sure if serious?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Seeing this in a little over an hour. Hopefully the perspective portrayed here doesn't ruin the experience. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I just hope it's not Justice League level of drivel.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I just realised that all the speculation raised by Force Awakens has been answered with "doesn't really matter" and there's nothing new to speculate about for Episode 9... WTF.

This is my biggest gripe with the movie. While I enjoyed the movie, it really doesn't fit in the saga. It's a standalone. It doesn't progress anything. We're still in the same position we were before the movie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The planets destroyed in TFA were essentially nameless "Rebel homeworlds"

Thank you for proving my point about how forgettable everything was, because you're not even remotely close. The Hosnian system was the capital of the New Republic and wasn't affiliated with the Resistance at all, beyond the First Order's belief that the New Republic had been secretly supporting the Resistance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
People saying shit was super forgetable after 1 watching is stupid. I have watched the original trilogy at least 30+ times and I still forget some names and shit, but TFA after 2-3 you begin to remember minor shit like the hosnian system, Paige was rose's sister, crait was the planet, d'qar was the rebel home world they escape from bla blah

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure everyone knew Porkins from the "Cover me Porkins" right before he's shown on screen. Biggs literally bites it/sacrifices himself to cover Luke on the trench run. I doubt anyone knew "AT-AT" unless the toys were labeled until the AT-ST's were in Jedi and the distinction was made. But everyone knew what Imperial walkers were (which they did say in the movie)

Yeah, that's where I got it from for sure.

Original-Packaging.jpg

I'm just saying, I knew the name of even the most obscure characters because of the toys and not necessarily the role they played in the movie. Most of them were never even named during the movies.

10 Background Star Wars Characters With Ridiculously Convoluted Back Stories

I'm just not sure that knowing or not knowing all the details is because TLJ was a bad movie or the characters weren't developed, or because after 40 years we know EVERYTHING about the original trilogy.

I'm not even sure what I'm arguing anymore LOL!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'll admit - - I've never been a huge Star Wars fan. I respect its place in culture, blah blah blah, the originals were enjoyable enough, even the one from a couple years back was okay. I've not seen all the ones in the middle. I fell asleep during the last 30 minutes of last year's offering.

A friend asked me to watch this, so we went out to see it.

What a steaming pile of dogshit. I hated everything from intergalactic Margaret Cho to intergalactic Monaco to intergalactic Benicio DelToro, Laura Dern's ridiculous fucking character, the cringeworthy one liners, the cutsey animals. Some of Mark Hamill's lines came off horribly. You're not made to give a shit about any of the characters.

Even my feminist, liberal friend I went with said they went overboard with the number of women they threw in and were being too over the top and pandering. Then you had intergalactic Margaret Cho and her small tirade against the rich people in intergalactic Monaco.

Fuck you movie, fuck you director. I couldn't wait to get out of the theater. Saw it in 3D and DBOX (the moving seats.) I thought even the 3D effects and the DBOX sucked on this, not that DBOX is ever that amazing. I recall really liking the 3D work on the 2015 one.

If you rate this movie anything higher than 6/10, you have to be a gigantic nerd and completely out of touch with what makes a movie good. There's subjectivity, but there's a limit.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Guys, the salt planet is Crait and I will never forget that because I am salty as fuck about Ep VIII.

• 10Worf
Reactions: 9 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I really liked it, but it had problems. Maybe 6/10. Only because the Finn/Rose stuff was just dumb. I get what they are trying to do, show the plucky upstarts don't know what the fuck they are doing and trying to just cowboy everything rather than working as a team. There was probably a better way to do it, though. All the stuff with Luke was great, and Rey, and Snoke, and Kylo. I can't believe any of you guys buy that shit about her parents for a second. They may as well have subtitled it "KYLO MISDIRECTS THE AUDIENCE IN PREPARATION FOR EPISODE 9". Carrie Poppins was... not ideal. I feel like there was a better way to show her using the force subconsciously to save herself or something. Without the Finn/Rose stuff I'd put it at 8 or 9/10 easily. Great fucking movie.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Barf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Well, at least I don’t care if they even bothered making an episode 9 now. It woulda been a pain in the ass waiting two years for the next movie if there was any part of me that still gave the slightest fuck about Star Wars after this movie.

For a Minute there in Snoke’s throne room, when Rey and Kylo teamed up I thought they might be able to save it from the clutches of feces!....Nope!... of course not! After that tiny sliver of hope he goes right back to an even stupider, less realistic, sjw idiot-caricature of “evil white male trump voter” than he was in TFA.

Poe is trash, Fin is sub-trash, healthy-at-any-size chinese girl is sub-sub-trash. They finished destroying and killing off all the original characters. They should name episode 9 “good riddance” and just kill everyone off, the end.

• 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's where I got it from for sure.

Original-Packaging.jpg

I'm just saying, I knew the name of even the most obscure characters because of the toys and not necessarily the role they played in the movie. Most of them were never even named during the movies.

10 Background Star Wars Characters With Ridiculously Convoluted Back Stories

I'm just not sure that knowing or not knowing all the details is because TLJ was a bad movie or the characters weren't developed, or because after 40 years we know EVERYTHING about the original trilogy.

I'm not even sure what I'm arguing anymore LOL!

LOL, just looking at this box and I can remember Han, Luke and Leia in Hoth Gear from the toys:

_57_27__70174.1402698361.1280.1280.JPG

I even remember that stupid medical droid (FX-7). All those little plastic probes at the bottom could be popped out to rez Luke and friends.

I thought the Hoth Rebel Trooper was a badass because his rifle had a sling. This shit is engrained my friends.

No way that came from one viewing LOL!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I really liked it. Maybe 7/10. Only because the Finn/Rose stuff was just dumb. I get what they are trying to do, show the plucky upstarts don't know what the fuck they are doing and trying to just cowboy everything rather than working as a team. There was probably a better way to do it, though. All the stuff with Luke was great, and Rey, and Snoke, and Kylo. I can't believe any of you guys buy that shit about her parents for a second. They may as well have subtitled it "KYLO MISDIRECTS THE AUDIENCE IN PREPARATION FOR EPISODE 9". Carrie Poppins was... not ideal. I feel like there was a better way to show her using the force subconsciously to save herself or something. Without the Finn/Rose stuff I'd put it at 8 or 9/10 easily. Great fucking movie.
I don't even know you anymore...and how are General Leia Organa Solo and Admiral Ackbar plucky upstarts?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fair enough, I read that as if you were referring to the Resistance.
Yeah, they revealed that at the end, that Admiral Purplehair had a plan, Leia, appointed her for a reason, and Poe and team trying to Han-Solo-it-up were just making things worse. But, again, I feel that whole thing was just handled poorly.

I imagine in some writer's head there's a version of this movie where instead of that bullshit the rebels are just trapped and the tension continues to build as their options are cut off and Huxley boxes them in. Instead it's like a trip to the island from Pinnochio in the middle of the most important wartime operation in the history of the rebellion.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
That's the problem. It seems like a movie written by committee. No single vision, the director I actually give credit to, if he had no real say in the script it was a great execution of what he must have been given

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Likewise, but only because he learned of his derkaderkajihadmuhammad at the premiere. His demeanor has changed since the premiere and he is likely a future /ourguys/, as if he was not already, right?

Edited: language to remove potential spoilers

What do you mean?

What did he learn at the premiere?