Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cybsled

I would be very curious what the people who played this, think of Empyrion.

I haven’t played that in forever. I liked it when I played, but they made annoying changes that made some things needlessly complicated

velk

Trakanon Raider
I would be very curious what the people who played this, think of Empyrion.
Never played it, but looks interesting, may check it out when I have some free time. At a tenth the cost of starfield, it would have to be reaaaaaly bad to be a tenth as good as starfield ;p

Cybsled

One element of Empyrion that is cool is you can subscribe to blueprints on the steam workshop for the game and if you collect the required materials, you can basically spawn the building/spaceship/etc. Or at least you could - I havent played the game in like 10 years.

I played on a server where I made a massive train system that extended for miles and built a massive starport

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

so, after doing the initial tutorial I tried to go to another planet. couldn't figure it out, until I realized it was forcing me to go to new atlantis.
so do that... and dick around this shitty city. huge. and empty. mazelike for no reason. the design is nonsense. business, and offices that are one room. one restaurant with no doors. where does the food come from? get to the lodge talk tot hem, and try to continue all the stupid miniquests I picked up. "steal" pack of food that was sitting around with no one around. and get a fine. sarah must have ratted me out. get interrupted by a UC guard. which shanghais me to fucking mars. now I stuck in this new city bored out of my mind.

I'm struggling here.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
so, after doing the initial tutorial I tried to go to another planet. couldn't figure it out, until I realized it was forcing me to go to new atlantis.
so do that... and dick around this shitty city. huge. and empty. mazelike for no reason. the design is nonsense. business, and offices that are one room. one restaurant with no doors. where does the food come from?

The AI that created this "game" don't need to eat, so it was hard for them to account for it when "designing" content.

Caliane

I'll probably give it another shot. But, honestly I did turn it off and go back to Bannerlord for the night.

It seems obvious to me this is missing a core game loop. its a space exploration game with no space or exploration. dlc isn't going to fix this. this is a big core problem.

one of two things need to be fixed. Either planets need to be redone to be interesting. or the galaxy map needs to be redone to be interesting.

And I'd say the latter is where it went wrong. this fast travel space warping is idiotic. yes, space is big and empty, so I can understand that a bit... however, within solar systems, etc needed to be the player actually flying around at least. player should LIVE in space. get up from the cockpit, walk around their ship in space, etc.

And lets take that another step. this shit needs a bannerlord/starsector campaign map. we should click on a location, set destination, and set off 3rd person. see other ships/fleets. see minors, pirates flying around. when they give chase we get coms, and interrupted. then put into a battle map. when we get to solar systems, we drop in, and fly around solar systems entirely manually. outposts functioning like starsector outposts and colonies. add the fuel consumption back in.

• 3Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I'll probably give it another shot. But, honestly I did turn it off and go back to Bannerlord for the night.

It seems obvious to me this is missing a core game loop. its a space exploration game with no space or exploration. dlc isn't going to fix this. this is a big core problem.

one of two things need to be fixed. Either planets need to be redone to be interesting. or the galaxy map needs to be redone to be interesting.

And I'd say the latter is where it went wrong. this fast travel space warping is idiotic. yes, space is big and empty, so I can understand that a bit... however, within solar systems, etc needed to be the player actually flying around at least. player should LIVE in space. get up from the cockpit, walk around their ship in space, etc.

And lets take that another step. this shit needs a bannerlord/starsector campaign map. we should click on a location, set destination, and set off 3rd person. see other ships/fleets. see minors, pirates flying around. when they give chase we get coms, and interrupted. then put into a battle map. when we get to solar systems, we drop in, and fly around solar systems entirely manually. outposts functioning like starsector outposts and colonies. add the fuel consumption back in.
Who said its a space exploration game? Was Mass Effect a space exploration game? I won't disagree that the procedural planets aren't great, in that there is always the same kind of things to find but that is a matter of variety and quantity. They need more hand-crafted content in the world(s?)/galaxy.

You are wanting a different game. I mean, that's fine but stop asking why a fish doesn't have feathers and fly. It's not a bird, its a fish. Holy fuck read your post. You want a Star Trek game with manual flying. That is not this game at all. "Why don't I have droids and laser swords in this Warhammer fantasy game? What this game needs is SPACE MARINES. Plus the ability to visit other worlds. And a blaster."

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Seriously?

Cybsled

I mean it sort of is a partial space exploration game considering the core handcrafted content is pretty sparse. You don't have a reason to visit 80% of the planets or moons really.

Although asking for this to become Elite Dangerous and wanting longer travel times isn't something I'd want lol

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

I think you are forgetting this is Bethesda. Who have, and will continue to, use the same formula regardless of theater. Which is now made worse with ESG and Diversity hire assimilation. FO5 and TES 6 will be shit shows. Just wait. There will never be another Skyrim.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Who said its a space exploration game? Was Mass Effect a space exploration game? I won't disagree that the procedural planets aren't great, in that there is always the same kind of things to find but that is a matter of variety and quantity. They need more hand-crafted content in the world(s?)/galaxy.

You are wanting a different game. I mean, that's fine but stop asking why a fish doesn't have feathers and fly. It's not a bird, its a fish. Holy fuck read your post. You want a Star Trek game with manual flying. That is not this game at all. "Why don't I have droids and laser swords in this Warhammer fantasy game? What this game needs is SPACE MARINES. Plus the ability to visit other worlds. And a blaster."
"this game needs space marines" isn't addressing a core game loop problem. Thats not the same. This game, as is, is busted. It's missing a core game loop. this is a day one design problem. they fucked up. it can't be fixed without MAJOR overhaul. which means it can't be fixed at all likely. I'm not sure if theres any examples of any game fixing a broken system like that.

The galaxy map suggestion would help tie together much of the loose game systems. planet exploration, poi, factions could all feed into a proper galaxy campaign map.
like starsector has a proc gen universe. (with preset core worlds). it works. it doesn't have real landing on any planets. but it does have scanning, and searching. THAT could be done manually like here in starfield.

bethesda games have been immersive sims. they are the open world successors to ultima underworld. this game is failing where the others have succeeded became they removed the open world sim. replaced with a god awful looter shooter, single player story.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

I think you are forgetting this is Bethesda. Who have, and will continue to, use the same formula regardless of theater. Which is now made worse with ESG and Diversity hire assimilation. FO5 and TES 6 will be shit shows. Just wait. There will never be another Skyrim.
I would argue thats the problem. they didn't. They removed the open world simulation. Skyrim is often called out for being dumbed down rpg/factions, etc from each previous incarnation. but its the most flushed out open world simulation. you feel like you could LIVE in skyrim more then any other. FO4 same thing. meh story, etc, but greatly flushed out world, and survival/settlement building.

they cut out the open world sim here, and replaced it with fast travel. the core appeal of Bethesda games, that open world sim, is missing. A campaign map would solve that problem. Starsector handles the "space is big and empty", with proc gen, colonies, exploration, and combat, etc perfectly. "scan and explore ruins" in starsector, could directly tie into how landing and exploring is done here on planets. its really sad to see a game with a system that could be directly cut/paste into this to solve its missing core gameplay. while this thing just fails miserably.
hell just saw a reddit post about powering down engines to go dark, and fuel use. Its almost like at some point, this really did have a starsector mode, and it was scrapped, with all of the star travel removed. leaving half a game.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Cybsled

That’s a good point - the “space stealth” thing is used like once and then never again. Even the rerouting power thing feels needless - once you get a good ship, is there ever a reason to not go max power on your guns and shields and engines? It feels like complication for the sake of complication. You can tell they wanted realism then changed gears to arcade at some point, resulting in an odd hybrid

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
"this game needs space marines" isn't addressing a core game loop problem. Thats not the same. This game, as is, is busted. It's missing a core game loop. this is a day one design problem. they fucked up. it can't be fixed without MAJOR overhaul. which means it can't be fixed at all likely. I'm not sure if theres any examples of any game fixing a broken system like that.

The galaxy map suggestion would help tie together much of the loose game systems. planet exploration, poi, factions could all feed into a proper galaxy campaign map.
like starsector has a proc gen universe. (with preset core worlds). it works. it doesn't have real landing on any planets. but it does have scanning, and searching. THAT could be done manually like here in starfield.

bethesda games have been immersive sims. they are the open world successors to ultima underworld. this game is failing where the others have succeeded became they removed the open world sim. replaced with a god awful looter shooter, single player story.
idk what the fuck you are talking about or trying to say.

The galaxy map is functionally identical to the skyrim map. You open up the map, select a thing and fast travel to it. You don't get a cutscene or watch your character walk from point A to point B in skyrim when you fast travel, but you want that to be a thing in Starfield? So what, you can get up from your captains seat and walk around your ship while in some star wars like warp drive animation?

The "open world" is not and should never ever ever be the vast empty expanses of space where you sit around drinking coffee on your ship while waiting for your ship to travel from point A to point B. The open world is the procedurally generated planets.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

Immersive sims? What kind of world are you living in where you think Skyrim is a SIM? Other than being loaded with tons of junk items and some basic NPC schedules, this is mind blowing for you to say. You can literally run forever as long as you don't sprint. Starfield is not missing a core game loop; your expectations are missing a core game loop. There is no landing on game worlds, No one ever said you could fly between worlds; ITS NOT THAT KIND OF GAME. It's like Mass Effect, not No Man's Sky or Star Citizen. Except they did BGS Mass Effect i.e. with a ton of side quests that's the real game and in this case a main story that's IMO narratively terrible but other people may like it or not mind it. It's not great and there are tons of things that can be improved, hence the general consensus 6-7's it got.

Your frame is broken. Your at a tex-mex restaurant bitching about the French cuisine sucking.

I can't believe someone has me in here defending Starfield, FFS.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I think they could fix one of my biggest issues by fleshing out the planets that they do have.

I spent about 10 hours on my first 2 planets investigating every PoI. Even before I hit my 3rd planet, I noticed that every PoI was an exact copy / paste of the same PoI I had been to twice before. The only thing that seemed random was the loot.

All the computers had the same writing on them, every placeable / lootable object was the exact same thing, the layout was exactly the same etx. Even the random caves were an exact copy / paste...no reason whatsoever to go in them.

This was my biggest turnoff, as I was no longer excited to see the same PoI that I had seen 4 other times...and then multiply that times another 980 planets or so.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It seems obvious to me this is missing a core game loop.
Yep.

It's got a lot of pieces that could be put together better, and a lot of improvement that could be done on those pieces. But that's the core issue.

• 1Like

Cybsled

ll the computers had the same writing on them, every placeable / lootable object was the exact same thing, the layout was exactly the same etx. Even the random caves were an exact copy / paste...no reason whatsoever to go in them.

The copy paste is what hurts it a lot. Once you’ve played long enough, you know where the big loot crate is and don’t bother exploring or interacting. Your even know which locked doors have no loot behind them

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I would argue thats the problem. they didn't. They removed the open world simulation. Skyrim is often called out for being dumbed down rpg/factions, etc from each previous incarnation. but its the most flushed out open world simulation. you feel like you could LIVE in skyrim more then any other. FO4 same thing. meh story, etc, but greatly flushed out world, and survival/settlement building.

they cut out the open world sim here, and replaced it with fast travel. the core appeal of Bethesda games, that open world sim, is missing. A campaign map would solve that problem. Starsector handles the "space is big and empty", with proc gen, colonies, exploration, and combat, etc perfectly. "scan and explore ruins" in starsector, could directly tie into how landing and exploring is done here on planets. its really sad to see a game with a system that could be directly cut/paste into this to solve its missing core gameplay. while this thing just fails miserably.
hell just saw a reddit post about powering down engines to go dark, and fuel use. Its almost like at some point, this really did have a starsector mode, and it was scrapped, with all of the star travel removed. leaving half a game.

I would bet you are not that far off. They cut a ton of shit to launch it. And space flight was completely revamped and the reason the delay hit.

• 3Like