Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Blueweed

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Hmmm... caved and bought it yesterday, the $70 version. Maybe I should refund it and just go back to playing Grim Dawn while watching people play it...
Remnant 2 is great if u haven't....

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The demo is available at the usual places.
I ended up “demoing” this for a few hours earlier. It’s not particularly interesting starting out. I was sitting there playing and suddenly hit alt-F4 and said “this is boring.” I’ll give it a chance again sometime. Sounds like people are saying it’s better once you dive into it. We’re all spoiled by BG3.

• 2Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ran into a couple bugs, mainly around quests. Next step doesn't update on the UI, so if you dont remember who they said to talk to or figure it out, kind of stuck or reload to read the pop up again. Can still progress the quest, just have to talk to the NPC that was stated in the upper left when the quest updates to next step, it just flashes briefly then goes away.

Have had it happen twice.

Have also seen one or two NPCs get stuck halfway in the ground, usually on a walkway/stairs that has open air beneath it. Thankfully can still kill them and loot.

No crashes at all though at least.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh nice yeah. Was annoying to go do something and it pauses whole game, even load screens.

Found a very irish sounding doctor. And a eastern European miner.

Vorph

Overall I like the game. Main stuff people are bitching about doesn't really bug me; I care about as much about Starfield not having NMS copy and pasted into it as I did about Cyberpunk not having GTA copy and pasted into it. I do think they went a bit overboard with the fast travel to the point where travelling massive distances pretty much happens entirely in a menu. You can choose not to do it, I suppose, but I never really like that as an excuse for bad design.

Biggest gripes in no particular order:

1. Inventory. Way too limited, and at the same time too UNlimited... as in, whoever thinks it's a good idea to not only let you pick up every piece of garbage in the universe but also make sure they're all conveniently highlighted just as prominently as everything else of value is a retard. I can deal with weight on my character, for the most part, but ship storage is absurdly low until you start fixing it yourself with modules and skills. Also some other annoyances like containers you place near tradeskill benches don't pull materials out for crafting automatically, making it far more annoying to craft anywhere but your ship or certain other places where it does work.

2. Ammo. Too many types, and at the start of the game at least the prices are insane. I thought buying 6.5 Creedmoor was bad IRL, but even the most price gouge-y gun shop ain't got nothing on Starfield's 6.5mm vendors. At 25 a round you could easily spend 2500-5000 credits just to kill one elite enemy if you use an automatic weapon. Automatics need their damage increased and fire rate decreased, right now they are so terrible that any drop I get that hasn't had a semi-auto conversion done on it (Edit: why is this a mod and not just select fire anyway?) gets vendored immediately.

3. Skills. Way too many, or gaining points is too slow. I don't know what level a completionist-but-no-grinding playthrough would end up at, but I've seen people saying that a streamlined playthrough can easily end up only in the 30's. Some of the challenges required to advance to the final levels of a skill are insane too. I don't like basic weapon and armor modding being stuck in tier 2 either, basically forces you to spend 4 points in science skills that do very little to help you at the beginning of the game. Persuasion seems really bizarre in this too. I rarely fail red checks and I think I've seen a green one succeed once.

4. Lack of an actual map even in the cities. Definitely my #1 from the list of shit everyone else is bitching about.

5. Companions. Same old clunky ass inventory system and unintuitive UI for equipping them with stuff is lame. Also, first companion is a wet blanket that dislikes everything I do after saying she didn't care what I did as long as I didn't get caught.

6. No mouse and keyboard support on Series X is very disappointing. Gamepad is actually fine for just about everything, except the single most important thing -- shooting guns. For that, it's a goddamn abomination. It's basically the same feel as Fallout 4 (before the 60 fps patch), except no VATS to make it all bearable. There's ways to slow time, but nothing convenient enough to rely on. I knew sniper rifles were completely out of the question, but now I'm starting to think planning for ARs was a mistake too and the only thing playable on console will be a shotgun. Thankfully I haven't spent any points in tier 2 of combat yet. There's no respec AFAIK.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
^pretty much the same. Like I'd be fine with a local map so I can figure out where I'm going in cities and 'dungeons'. Just give me that and get rid of all the weird fucking ammo. Who the fuck thought anyone was going to remember which ammo goes with which gun? There is a reason why cyberpunk has "pistol ammo" and "rifle ammo".

Rest of the game is pretty good; not great but I'm enjoying it after getting out of the early parts. Kinda wish I beefed up my PC before playing this but oh well.

• 2Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Overall I like the game. Main stuff people are bitching about doesn't really bug me; I care about as much about Starfield not having NMS copy and pasted into it as I did about Cyberpunk not having GTA copy and pasted into it. I do think they went a bit overboard with the fast travel to the point where travelling massive distances pretty much happens entirely in a menu. You can choose not to do it, I suppose, but I never really like that as an excuse for bad design.

Biggest gripes in no particular order:

1. Inventory. Way too limited, and at the same time too UNlimited... as in, whoever thinks it's a good idea to not only let you pick up every piece of garbage in the universe but also make sure they're all conveniently highlighted just as prominently as everything else of value is a retard. I can deal with weight on my character, for the most part, but ship storage is absurdly low until you start fixing it yourself with modules and skills. Also some other annoyances like containers you place near tradeskill benches don't pull materials out for crafting automatically, making it far more annoying to craft anywhere but your ship or certain other places where it does work.

2. Ammo. Too many types, and at the start of the game at least the prices are insane. I thought buying 6.5 Creedmoor was bad IRL, but even the most price gouge-y gun shop ain't got nothing on Starfield's 6.5mm vendors. At 25 a round you could easily spend 2500-5000 credits just to kill one elite enemy if you use an automatic weapon. Automatics need their damage increased and fire rate decreased, right now they are so terrible that any drop I get that hasn't had a semi-auto conversion done on it (Edit: why is this a mod and not just select fire anyway?) gets vendored immediately.

3. Skills. Way too many, or gaining points is too slow. I don't know what level a completionist-but-no-grinding playthrough would end up at, but I've seen people saying that a streamlined playthrough can easily end up only in the 30's. Some of the challenges required to advance to the final levels of a skill are insane too. I don't like basic weapon and armor modding being stuck in tier 2 either, basically forces you to spend 4 points in science skills that do very little to help you at the beginning of the game. Persuasion seems really bizarre in this too. I rarely fail red checks and I think I've seen a green one succeed once.

4. Lack of an actual map even in the cities. Definitely my #1 from the list of shit everyone else is bitching about.

5. Companions. Same old clunky ass inventory system and unintuitive UI for equipping them with stuff is lame. Also, first companion is a wet blanket that dislikes everything I do after saying she didn't care what I did as long as I didn't get caught.

6. No mouse and keyboard support on Series X is very disappointing. Gamepad is actually fine for just about everything, except the single most important thing -- shooting guns. For that, it's a goddamn abomination. It's basically the same feel as Fallout 4 (before the 60 fps patch), except no VATS to make it all bearable. There's ways to slow time, but nothing convenient enough to rely on. I knew sniper rifles were completely out of the question, but now I'm starting to think planning for ARs was a mistake too and the only thing playable on console will be a shotgun. Thankfully I haven't spent any points in tier 2 of combat yet. There's no respec AFAIK.

Almost spot on for me. Though I can't stand the weight stuff either. It was super annoying in BG3 also, but at least there I could send everything to my infinite camp storage and then vendor later in multiple trips. My dream in this game would be infinite ship storage, let me send it directly to ship from loot window and it already lets you sell directly from ship inventory.

I am going to try doing a run with no companions and get the isolation skill. Think it was something like ~30% dmg increase and 60 damage reduction or something like that. Just so that I don't have to deal with all the companions, their shitty AI and their inventory management on top of my own. Play collision with your companion and their horrible pathing, is just annoying. Or they stand in front of a locker/chest, and you have to run away to get them to move.

Also add the UI. It looks 20% done. The surface map looks like someone spent 20 seconds on it. Some of the UI elements remind of of old console systems or Dos window. The cooking UI is just lol.

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
funny, map doesn't bother me at all. overall it's good, but my main complaints are

-the instanced world, fast travel ect completely disjoints the whole feeling of "open world" to me - not sure how to fix this in a space rpg

-ui/menus are a complete mess

-first 1-3 hours of the game is really lackluster, which is unforgivable for bethesda imo

pretty much my only complaints so far, but I think they're big ones

Vorph

I am going to try doing a run with no companions and get the isolation skill. Think it was something like ~30% dmg increase and 60 damage reduction or something like that. Just so that I don't have to deal with all the companions, their shitty AI and their inventory management on top of my own. Play collision with your companion and their horrible pathing, is just annoying. Or they stand in front of a locker/chest, and you have to run away to get them to move.
Yeah I would say that Bethesda companion AI has actually gotten worse instead of better. I almost never went solo in the Fallouts even playing as a sneak build, but here I've been considering it right out of the gate. Not to mention that stealth seems wonky as hell, borderline useless even.

Isolation is +40% damage and 60DR to your spacesuit and helmet at max rank. I don't like that it specifies "or any crew" though, it sounds like I can't have a crew on my ship (what about outposts?) without losing the effect even if I'm out in the field.

Speaking of build stuff, anyone else have thoughts on the traits? After looking into them all as much as I can so far, I think the only three worth considering are Kid Stuff, Dream Home, and Wanted. Maybe don't take Wanted if you aren't planning to go heavy into ship combat skills, you'll be avoiding fights enough as it is. The other two are pretty much mandatory though, big benefits with completely trivial downsides. Worst trait by far is the adoring fan. He's exactly as annoying as you'd expect, and he's almost completely useless as a crew member.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Went on a mission to see what was up with some colonists. Ended up being the movie Aliens, complete with constant darkness and rain, a "xenomorph", and proximity sensor beeping. Was pretty cool lol

• 2Like

Vorph

My dream in this game would be infinite ship storage, let me send it directly to ship from loot window and it already lets you sell directly from ship inventory.
Forgot to mention, you can access ship storage within a pretty large radius while exploring. Menu > Ship > Cargo Hold (X on gamepad, not sure on kb/m).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Forgot to mention, you can access ship storage within a pretty large radius while exploring. Menu > Ship > Cargo Hold (X on gamepad, not sure on kb/m).

Hmm will have to test that. I get overweight so fast.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Went on a mission to see what was up with some colonists. Ended up being the movie Aliens, complete with constant darkness and rain, a "xenomorph", and proximity sensor beeping. Was pretty cool lol

Thats been almost my entire day running that quest line, with some planet exploration thrown in and I’m not even done. Great quest so far, actually more interesting then the main quest in my opinion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Ya, after I did the quest there, I climbed up that tall ass mountain and the other side had a massive valley with a ton of POI. Then I got 2 shot by a predator and my last save was like 20 min earlier lol >_>

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's a Bethesda game. I quick save every minute or two basically, with manual saves every 10 or so.

• 2Like