Starfield - Fallout fallout that isn't ES6

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played this for an hour or so on PC. After Baldur Gate 3, it's kind of disappointing really. Way too many loading/transition screens. This is 2023 and we're still like Skyrim loading into every single different thing. Also, my character can't have a massive lizard cock. 2/10

Seriously though, I'll give it another shot once I finish BG3. Maybe this weekend.

All I can say is figure out using scanner and other means to fast travel places. Can save on multiple loading screens and menus.

But yes be prepared for lots of load screens(and in some dumb places like a shop). Thankfully if you are on a m2 they are quick.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
View attachment 489566
If you're not having sex in Starfield daily, you're missing out on a massive XP buff

If you're not having sex in Starfield daily, you're missing out on a massive XP buff

The "Emotional Security" buff is one of Starfield's best, and true love is the only way to get it.

If you've been saving yourself for that one special Starfield romance partner in your playthrough, it turns out you've been missing out on a status effect that's arguably better than any single chem can provide. It's called "Emotional Security," and the only way to get it is by having sex. If only it were that easy, Starfield.

Emotional Security boosts XP gains by 15% for 24 real minutes. As shared by VG247, this is similar to the 10% XP "Well Rested" bonus you get for sleeping in a bed, but better because it's a higher number and also it means someone loves you.

No, seriously: there are no one-night stands in Starfield, so the only way to get busy in bed is to first romance one of the select few NPCs that are interested. Thankfully Starfield's companions set their standards very low, so it's easy to make them fall in love with you, but it does take some time. Just bring one along on your adventures and, as long as you're not constantly committing crimes they don't approve of (just like real life, wow), you'll periodically unlock special "flirt" options in conversations that eventually lead to love and marriage.

Once you're married, bringing your partner along as your companion will allow them to sleep in the same bed automatically. There are no sex cutscenes—Baldur's Gate 3 this is not—but your partner will make a saucy comment as you're waking up, some of which were shared by the ESRB months before Starfield's release.

It's all very gushy and mechanical. If you're purely interested in the generous XP boost then there's no reason not to do this. There's no penality for letting time pass (unlike Baldur's Gate 3) and marriage doesn't lock you out of bringing other companions along, either.

However, I admit I'm hesitant simply because none of Starfield's four romanceable companions are my type. Sam Coe is cool, but dry. Sarah Morgan is a snoozefest. Barret is charming, but talks like a robot. And they're all too darn nice with the exception of Andreja, who has a little bit of an edge to balance out Constellation's unrelenting politeness.

The good news is the Well Rested buff also exists there for those who aren't ready for commitment, and it's much easier to get. Just sleep in any bed and you're rewarded with an extra 10% XP. Whichever sleep boost you get, I recommend hitting the hay right before you wrap up a few quests to get the most out of the bonus.

View attachment 489567
R.9e1deacb0095a725dafb1802588469dc

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
All I can say is figure out using scanner and other means to fast travel places. Can save on multiple loading screens and menus.

But yes be prepared for lots of load screens(and in some dumb places like a shop). Thankfully if you are on a m2 they are quick.
Yeah, my PC is all high end so the length of loading wasn't a problem. Just the volume of loading. Speaking of scanner. How does the scanner work? I was looking at plants/creatures with it, but it wasn't registering on the counter(ie: 0 of 4 fauna, etc).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, my PC is all high end so the length of loading wasn't a problem. Just the volume of loading. Speaking of scanner. How does the scanner work? I was looking at plants/creatures with it, but it wasn't registering on the counter(ie: 0 of 4 fauna, etc).

So it isn't like No Mans's sky - you actually have to scan the thing like 7 times. I scanned one flower twice and it moved to 25% scanned.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Hit E to scan them. And like UT said for plants/animals, it will take multiple scans to get the 100% for each. Resources are one and done.

• 3Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
You need to press E to scan when within scanning range.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Also, my character can't have a massive lizard cock. 2/10

Correction: Your character can't have a massive lizard cock yet. I'm sure the modders will have Argonians/Dragonborn (and complementary nude mods) patched in within the year.

• 1Truth!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I like the fast travel for getting around cities and saving on long runs back to the ship on planets, but I think it's best to avoid planet to planet fast travel. You miss out on so much if you don't actually enter the system in your ship before landing on a planet. About the only time I don't actually "pilot" my ship to a planet is if I have contraband and need to just get rid of it immediately without risking a scan.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Save your survey data to sell to vladimir(the black russian on The Eye) when you have that option from him(think you have to do his intial quest to get the option). He will buy for much more then vendors offer iirc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I like the fast travel for getting around cities and saving on long runs back to the ship on planets, but I think it's best to avoid planet to planet fast travel. You miss out on so much if you don't actually enter the system in your ship before landing on a planet. About the only time I don't actually "pilot" my ship to a planet is if I have contraband and need to just get rid of it immediately without risking a scan.
I bet a lot of the (very valid) complaints about the fast travel system would be subdued if the first time you visit a planetary body you have to fly there using a non-menu way.

Ex: you could toggle a display in your ship that showed stars and planetary bodies you could grav jump to, and then aim your ship at the star and hit the "grav jump" button. If a star wasn't visited before, it wouldn't show up on your map unless you're within grav jump range of it. This would give the player a sense of the constellation's connectivity and make the fast travel feel like a QOL feature they've earned instead of making space travel feel flat.

My guess: They had this and a bunch of other typical gameplay implementations ala NMS, ED, Star Citizen, Freelancer, X4 et all, and everytime they playtested it people said they thought it was cumbersome. So they just dumbed it down to menu-based fast travel with the whole constellation explored.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic

elidib

Vyemm Raider
it's googleable, but to save other people the amount of time I spent on it - if you have 1 or 2 fauna left on a planet and you really really can't figure out what's missing, you probably need to find a spot that says (Coast), go to the actual lake or ocean, and look for fish in the water.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
it's googleable, but to save other people the amount of time I spent on it - if you have 1 or 2 fauna left on a planet and you really really can't figure out what's missing, you probably need to find a spot that says (Coast), go to the actual lake or ocean, and look for fish in the water.
This chuck e cheesed me for a bit. Another tip: find as small an island as you can that'll let you land on it, then move that targeting reticle pixel by pixel into the corner of that island until you can't move it no more. I did this on the thinnest gilligan looking island I could and hit the maximum corner and STILL had to run for 15 minutes to find the stupid sharks to scan.

Cybsled

Others mentioned scan uses E, but other tips

1) default range on scanner is really short - you practically have to be within like 10 meters for it to register. There is a skill tree that extends the range

2) Killing an enemy or harvesting a plant or mining an ore in scan mode will auto-scan the target

3) scanning corpses counts, the animal doesn’t need to be alive. This is useful when you find a predator den with lots of corpses

4) the scanner will say “biome complete” in green letters if that biome contains no additional examples of unscanned flora/fauna. So your plants might be 3/5, but it says flora complete because you’re in a forest biome and there are no other plant varieties there. On some planets, you have to land in different spots to survey everything

• 1Like

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Haven't really looked at mods yet, but I guess SFSE (script extender) is already out since Monday. The modding potential here is really limitless, I hope it gets Skyrim level interest from mod creators.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
They don't claim to be anything but a woman. The government basically did a "Let's make a a bunch of male and female clones of this person" as part of that secret program and modified the genetics as needed so the clone would grow into whatever sex they wanted the clone to be. You can even ask them "female clone of a man? how does that work?" and she basically says they altered the genetics when they cloned her. They also view the originating source of the genetic material as their "father", sort of like how Boba Fett viewed Jango Fett.

I admittedly haven't played the quest but if you watch the clip, the way it is presented, it is completely playing into the Trans experience. There is little room left for any other interpretation.

I bet a lot of the (very valid) complaints about the fast travel system would be subdued if the first time you visit a planetary body you have to fly there using a non-menu way.

Ex: you could toggle a display in your ship that showed stars and planetary bodies you could grav jump to, and then aim your ship at the star and hit the "grav jump" button. If a star wasn't visited before, it wouldn't show up on your map unless you're within grav jump range of it. This would give the player a sense of the constellation's connectivity and make the fast travel feel like a QOL feature they've earned instead of making space travel feel flat.

My guess: They had this and a bunch of other typical gameplay implementations ala NMS, ED, Star Citizen, Freelancer, X4 et all, and everytime they playtested it people said they thought it was cumbersome. So they just dumbed it down to menu-based fast travel with the whole constellation explored.
Well, the galaxy is mapped out but I get what you are trying to say, and making players do something the long way once to give a sense of scale is always a good idea. There are any number of things and mechanics in the game such as the scanning thing thing mentioned above, that are not very well explained or demonstrated in the game. I agree with the Forbes writer that the intro needs to be re-worked to better explain and show off the game.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This and the scanning thing, so many things are not very well explained or demonstrated in the game. I agree with the Forbes writer that the intro needs to be re-worked to better explain and show off the game.
Yeah the intro is a really poor introduction to the game. It'd be better if they more forcefully introduced you to the different factions with quest trails to continue those quest lines in an obvious way (and those factions were more closely tied to the game modes, ex: the LIST questline involved you making an outpost, the UC Vanguard was more ship-combat oriented, the Rangers more classic dungeon-clearing, whatever faction was more trade stuff and crimson fleet being piracy) and then told you to come back at level ~20 and once you have a good ship. Or something. And then they progressed the main quest with a mid-tier monster up front to motivate you to actually get to level 20 before coming back. Blitzing through the main quest to get fus roh dah is kind of confusing since the factions explain the mechanics much more.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Is this game worth buying an xbox for? I know gamepass is good.

No. Game Pass is pretty mediocre overall, and I'm actually a fan. I like the Xbox ecosystem because their rewards system pretty much funds my gaming hobby, but Starfield doesn't seem like it's close to being good enough to be the rationale to buy an Xbox. Nor Game Pass in general.

• 1Like

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
With all the talk of weight management, I think many of you will find this useful like I did:

Nice and direct way of explaining how to upgrade your basic ass ship. I noticed in the comments one guy asked why not go for "snake" (longways) instead of "turtle" (wide), and so I took it upon myself to do just that, with the same items the guy in the video uses.

The result:

20230904190448_1.jpg

21k cost for 2130 cargo space, with the only other cost being it looks faggy and tarded (but that's what cockpit flying is for!). Doing it lengthways gives you a lot of spots for cargo on the side and underside (not pictured). You might also notice a gap on the port side, and that's because when I had a nice even 4 landing gear, I got an error there weren't enough, and when I had a nice even 6 landing gear, I got an error I was too heavy, but wouldn't you know it, 5 is juuuuust right. I'm sure you could do some other upgrades to flesh things out but like I said this is the most basic-ass shit I could do following the video guide (and also eschewing the weapon upgrades he does).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users