Starlink - Battle for Atlas, Ubisoft's Star Fox

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Might be worth $30...but will likely still wait until they have a complete package for $25 sometime next year.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Worth it for digital deluxe at $60? Or should I skip and wait for smash bros

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Saw this during a commercial this Thanksgiving. My mother says, "Wow. That's a neat little gimmick." She doesn't give two shits about games, but shows how strong the "gimmick" might be? It definitely had me interested.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What was the verdict on this? Digital deluxe edition is down to $40 until tomorrow(?) and I believe that includes pretty much everything.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Based on gameplay videos I'll restate that I wouldn't buy it for more than $25 with the complete package.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Based on gameplay videos I'll restate that I wouldn't buy it for more than $25 with the complete package.
The game is ok, I got the star fox pack for £17.99 which for a switch game is pretty decent, my kid enjoys playing it. I thought it was ok, not sure on the depth and longevity though.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
They had a deal @ GameStop yesterday where I got the base PS4 package original game / ship / etc for $30 and got a free pilot, pack of weapons and exclusive $25 ship for $12. So a total of 6 weapons (both ships come with 2 by default) and 3 pilots (ships have pilots as well) and 2 ships to switch at least one out when I die to continue for a total of a barely over $40.

So far it’s a lot of fun, especially for StarFox fans, as the environment and general gameplay is highly reminiscent of the original, however technically and (obviously) massively graphically upgraded. Exploration is fun and has a lot to pick up, interact with, and some pretty cool flying mechanics intertwined with scanning and harvesting items so that it’s more than just pressing a button to collect things. Space combat is my favorite part of the game so far but that’s 95% of the reason I bought the game in the first place, so I’m pretty happy with it. I’m only a few hours in and have spent most of my time exploring a planet and doing introductory / newb stuff but you unlock full flight engines shortly into the game’s beginning which allow you to fully fly in the air and not just be stuck in ‘hover’ mode while exploring planets. At first I was really concerned I was going to be stuck on the ground unless I was in space but that’s not the case, thankfully, as that likely would have been a boring ass dealbreaker for me. I unlocked full flight about maybe an hour or less into the game, so its not bad at all.

You have to come into this game expecting a lot of it is subject to being designed with kids demographic in mind, so it’s nothing too serious or dramatic story wise (although not absolutely unbearable or anything either) and the gameplay/graphics is on the Nintendo cartoonish side but I’m cool with that because flying and combat is so fun. It’s kind of a nice change considering most of the PS4 games I play are extremely dark and gritty (which I love) but it’s fun to have bright colors and silly shit every once in a while.

Annoyances so far include physically switching my weapons anytime I have an enemy or interaction that is far, far more effective with a certain weapon or element and the luster of playing with and switching out the physical elements loses its shine quickly after the 14th exchange in 20 minutes, but if you come up with a system and keep your pieces nearby and your ship on mounted on your controller (actually not a bad way to play, nice weight to it and kind of adds to the flying feeling) or close to you it’s not a game breaker because you get a lot of mods that allow you to do many things with just two heavily upgraded weapons.

This might also be just me, but this is one of those flying games where you control ONLY the direction X axis on the left stick and vertical Y pitching and altitude control on the right, and I’m incredibly attuned and muscle memory kicks in to using the left stick to control Y axis as well and it’s frustrasting as fucking a turtle shell until you adapt. It wouldn’t be so bad but unlike other flight games you have to use X, Circle and Triangle A LOT while also maneuvering your ship on both axis in all directions so it leads to a lot of ‘controller claw’ motions and sore hands or fucking up and skipping inputs or shielding because I’m trying to align or fly my ship in the right direction. I’m getting more used to it but I’m about to pick up Ace Combat 7 and I know it’s going to be hard as fuck to play both of these control setups at the same time. My game is currently unpatched for the record but in the default version there is no current way to switch control schemes or buttons whatsoever. Maybe that has changed since, though.

I want to add in one caveat, if you buy physical I HIGHLY recommend spending the extra money for an extra ship pack. It is not frustrating to switch ships when I die and you can go repair your ships at hubs very cheaply and quickly so it’s not like you need five ships to get through the game. On the flip side, if I only had one ship and zero ability to continue on death and nothing else to upgrade, etc. I would probably be pissed about it. Take that as you will. If you are a patient person and want to save money, go for it. If you want more to do, more gameplay variance, and not restart every time you die then definitely grab another ship.

If you go in knowing what kind of game it is and are prepared to deal with the cards you’re dealt depending on the budget you drop into it, not bad and can be a ton of fun.

Overall: 7.5-8/10

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user