Starting a New Media Business - Looking for Partners

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Teljair and I have been out of the website business for year or so and we're looking to get started again. The MassivelyOP kickstarter was really what prompted this post because it really showed to us that there is still a demand out there for non-shill websites and it kind of gelled with where we were at in our talks about starting over. What we want to do is create a decent webspace for relevant online gaming content which is basically Reference Materials, Reviews, PBE datamining and News and less about random editorials. We will want to focus mostly on the MMO and MOBA worlds and maybe with some Hearthstone on the side.

How many times have we seen or read reviews or interviews where shitty questions were asked and it sounded like the person who was asking was an idiot?

In any case, we learned a lot with our JunkiesNation and older websites over the last 6-8 years and we kind of have a handle on what it takes to be successful. This new project will be an entirely new company with zero relation to Rerollz Media LLC or Junkiesnation. The team of people that start this project will have equal equity in the company as everyone will be partners. In the past we've muddled our way through a few different models and nothing really works unless you some ownership stake and hold yourself accountable to other people.

So for this to work a core team of people needs to be formed and that team will look something like:
  • 3-4 Writers
  • 1-2 Podcasters
  • 1-2 Streamers
  • 1-2 VOD creators
  • 1-2 Web Developers (PHP or equivalent, Javascript/jQuery)

There can be some overlap there, but in the end consistency matters. It'll probably end up being 6-8 people I have to imagine.

I was hesitant to post this here, but what the hell. This community has some of the smartest and most competent gamers out there and I think we all have something to contribute to the online gaming world at large. If you're interested email Teljair and I at the emails below or just post questions here if you like. And just to reiterate, this is a proposal to start and form a brand new company, all with equal partnership; we're not hiring people or looking for volunteers.

[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */
[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */

This is gonna rock.

Teljair_sl

shitlord
Like Draegan said, we've learned a ton over the past 8 years. We've had sites with as much as 500k unique visitors a month at one point. What we need now are some serious partners who want to make a great business. Let's talk.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can we shall this?! J/k. Gl. We need better gaming sources.

I nominate Ut, tad and qwerty

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm going to stream our raid saturday and you're never giong to want to interview anyone else for a streamer after that

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
I just got a lot more free time each week, so I'd be more than willing to write and/or participate in a podcast. I have some broadcasting experience.

If you want writing samples, PM me. The bulk of my professional writing has been foreign policy analysis, international risk assessment, etc but I'm pretty sure I can translate that into writing about the new Aion patch.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
You know, I wrote one article for the junkiesnation website and it was a lot of fun, and I had intentions (and offers) to interview people involved in the Bay Area tech/gaming boom... but holy shit is it a ton of work! I have a full time job and it just wasn't feasible; I had no idea how much work creative content really required. I think if my work situation changes I'd be really interested, but I'm just too tied down to the 9-5 right now.

So yeah just to reiterate, if anyone wants to do this you *really* need to take ownership of the work and have a vision (tm) and stake in this, because your other responsibilities will be constantly trying to tear you away.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I wish you guys the best of luck.

It is only too bad you didn't start this back in the summer or I would have given it a shot but I am not ready to quit my job and make the leap necessary. Earthfell is right, you need to be 100% ready to spend as much time as humanly possible on this.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Noodles Saturday Twitter feed when it gets linked to WoW will be an epic source of content.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Id be all in but I cant write and I tend to burn bridges with developers but good luck guys!

spronk

FPS noob
make sure you get a chick with big tits to be your streamer. really should be the only person that is ever shown on video or pictures

in fact most of your team should be hot chicks then it really doesn't matter what your content is

p.s. not swampdonkey

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Not sure what you are looking for I don't really play any new MMO's but I do play a lot of P99 and I used to work at a newspaper and I was a fraud investigator as well. I'm good at tracking people down and I think I can write an ok article about any video game or TCG topic.

I also go to Pax East, Pax Prime, Gencon, NYC Comic Con yearly and I used to be able to go to E3 but without press access It's a no go.

I used to write articles for MTG and WoWTCG many many years ago and I play Hearthstone all the time. I could do something with that I suppose.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I appreciate everyone offering to help and I might take you up on that. What I'm looking for right now is people who not only want to write/cast/create content but are interested in taking an ownership roll in help creating this product. The only cost in doing so is basically your time and effort.

So if you're interested in that shoot me an email or pm.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
PM me when you roll out your fast/frozen food review/news division.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Draegan completely change this to Talking Cheese with Mr. McCheese. We can do live interviews with McCheese and he can stream his fast food adventures. You can have a paywall to get to the NSFW area where we see the aftermath.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Hey, what happened with Junkies? You said you guys been out of the website business for a year now, did someone buy Junkies or is it just dormant? I went to the page and see some articles from October.

I wrote a couple LoL articles but realized I don't have the time to be a contributor in any capacity. Good luck with the endeavor!

And take note of what Spronk says, get a hot chick for your vids and it'll be a win !