Stay at home dad advice

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’ve recently semi retired and was wondering if any other dads out there with a baby (mines almost 10 months old) have tips on how you can be a misanthropic gamer while not neglecting your kid

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks. I’m a bit of a boomer kind of a wasd+ mouse reflex , not sure if I could play the games I like properly with a controller. Is there a keyboard /mouse option for the deck? Also a bigger screen?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I was somewhat under-employed while my kids were in that age range (perk/curse of self-employment). I just played games at my desk with the kids napping in a front-mounted carrier. (Invest in a good one. It'll save your back.) The little ones are hard to ignore while they're awake and god help you when they start being mobile, but until 18 months you get a half day of naps anyway.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Thanks. I’m a bit of a boomer kind of a wasd+ mouse reflex , not sure if I could play the games I like properly with a controller. Is there a keyboard /mouse option for the deck? Also a bigger screen?
It's a computer you can plug in anything you want into it. (With a hub anyways)

That said most of the gaming I'm doing is retro turned based jrpgs and the like.

Easy to pick up and put down for a few minutes here or there.

If I'm going to play a newer triple A game it's going to be on my pc or ps5 when the brat is sleeping.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
1674849644679.png

1674849677209.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I did some of this. Really make the most of the time while the kid is sleeping. Make that time for yourself, you'll find you won't resent the time when they're awake and demanding of your attention so much. Yeah, that sounds shitty, but it is easy to start to resent it if you're making them the focus 24/7. Everyone needs a break, just make sure you get yours.

And other than that, spend as much time with him (her?) as you can. You won't believe how fast it goes, how fast you can fall into bad patterns, and how much you can come to regret that. Love on your kids.

• 3Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
My kid started crawling a month back and since then it’s been impossible to do anything while she’s awake. I may try to be a steam deck enjoyer as suggested so I can atleast body block her if she tries to make a break for it

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
My kid started crawling a month back and since then it’s been impossible to do anything while she’s awake. I may try to be a steam deck enjoyer as suggested so I can atleast body block her if she tries to make a break for it
Just wait until she is walking and climbing on everything!

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

I stopped playing video games at that point and picked up the guitar. It was something I could do in 2 minute intervals, it gave me a sense of accomplishment, and it's enriching for the kid. My oldest listens to the same music I do, but doesn't play anything, my youngest is in band at school and wants to create, so it seems to have inspired something.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blantons4Ever

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Banned>
I did some of this. Really make the most of the time while the kid is sleeping. Make that time for yourself, you'll find you won't resent the time when they're awake and demanding of your attention so much. Yeah, that sounds shitty, but it is easy to start to resent it if you're making them the focus 24/7. Everyone needs a break, just make sure you get yours.

And other than that, spend as much time with him (her?) as you can. You won't believe how fast it goes, how fast you can fall into bad patterns, and how much you can come to regret that. Love on your kids.

qnd how fast kid can eat 5,000 extra calories when family asleep and make some retards think physics doesnt apply to them

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Bouncy seat. my kids loved to lay in their bouncy seat next to me while I gamed and watch the colors on the screen, once they were older they would sit in my lap.

Now, I didn't do this often and as lurkingdirk lurkingdirk said, its really about making the most out of your time while they are sleeping. To this day, my primetime game hours are after 10pm.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Results may vary.

You'll have to experiment. My son hated the bouncy seat. It was the most stimulating little Einstein's thing we could find and he wouldn't have it. My daughter on the other hand absolutely loved that thing. They were the opposite for carriers. My daughter wanted the freedom to move on her own and destroy anything in her path. My son, our snuggler, would chill and fall asleep up against any warm body that would hold him.

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Hopefully this update is timely.

My youngest grandson is 26 months, his parents live with us and have since he was born. There's too much explaining but basically as they are getting on their feet and working full time I'm the primary caregiver for significant portions of time.

My usual advice is to moms who seem easily wore out and for them it's just to sleep when the kid sleeps. For you I'd say, and this is from personal experience, get the kid outside and active every day on a schedule. On bad weather days take them somewhere to run. This will enable a reliable sleep schedule including naps during which you can game. There's a lot of expansion from here but education (numbers, letters, animals, plants, insects, machines, etc) fits into this to keep them interested. Your kid is something like 16 months now and that is prime time to expose them to things you want them interested in, whatever that is. For example I took him to a local airfield that has an open house once a week with WW2 planes and vehicles. Not because of the history so much as the mechanical nature of them. He loves mechanical stuff now. Being there when he develops interests is also incredibly bonding.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks, she’s actually 13 and half months now and not just walking but sometimes breaking into a sprint and then taking a tumble ; lots of head bumps to the point I’m worried she’s gonna mess something up in there. Her mom almost went pro in tennis so I have high hopes for her in sports, already been having her watch while i shoot bball but there’s a good chance watching me is just going to make her worse, though she seems to enjoy it . Maybe I’ll try taking her to tennis just to see people play and see how that goes.

the gaming just isn’t possible, I actually got a steam deck but I mostly end up using it when I’m at gym on a bike or something. There’s just no way to do any productive gaming while trying to watch her, she’s just wayyyyy too quick

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks, she’s actually 13 and half months now and not just walking but sometimes breaking into a sprint and then taking a tumble ; lots of head bumps to the point I’m worried she’s gonna mess something up in there. Her mom almost went pro in tennis so I have high hopes for her in sports, already been having her watch while i shoot bball but there’s a good chance watching me is just going to make her worse, though she seems to enjoy it . Maybe I’ll try taking her to tennis just to see people play and see how that goes.

the gaming just isn’t possible, I actually got a steam deck but I mostly end up using it when I’m at gym on a bike or something. There’s just no way to do any productive gaming while trying to watch her, she’s just wayyyyy too quick
You need to just shelve gaming when she is awake and give her your full attention. This phase will only last for a few years and “productive” gaming isn’t really a thing. These years will fly by and you don’t get them back. Focus on them and put your hobby off for a bit. You will both be better off for it. Game for 30-60 minutes at night if you really can’t put it down for a few years.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I stopped playing video games at that point and picked up the guitar. It was something I could do in 2 minute intervals, it gave me a sense of accomplishment, and it's enriching for the kid. My oldest listens to the same music I do, but doesn't play anything, my youngest is in band at school and wants to create, so it seems to have inspired something.
I’ve been trying to do this myself. Problem is I haven’t touched my guitar in over a decade. could mostly recall the Beatles stuff since that was my go to for trying to get laid in college, but my kid seemed to lose interest quickly. She did seem to like poison though only thing I could play was every rose has its thorn which is two chords lol. I wanted to play some Alice In Chains , don’t follow is such a beautiful piece but my wife complaining it’s lyrics too negative, meh

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've already said this, but I will reiterate: time with your kids is precious and so important. Making some time for yourself is just as important. If your life is 100% your children, part of you disappears. And resentment isn't far behind. I'm not talking about 4 hour blocks of gaming time, but once she's in bed, play a bit. Or pick up your guitar and play for fun. Keep hobbies going. I have known several people who did 100% of their time with their kids (some even to the point of sleeping with them when they slept). Once the kids are all teenagers and start having their own lives these parents are lost, and can even feel hurt when the kids start wanting to do things without mom or dad.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users